Potpourri Americana
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Potpourri Americana

I don't have a printer, so I print what I want to print here.
A collection of my personal bookmarks

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Steak Sauce

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Astraea

Astraea

Number of posts : 2738
Favorite Quote : Beware the deadly donkey falling from the sky You may choose the way you live, my friend But not the way you die
Registration date : 2007-08-11

Steak Sauce Empty
PostSubject: Steak Sauce   Steak Sauce EmptyThu Aug 02, 2012 10:40 pm

Ultimate Steak Sauce From America Test Kitchens

Leftover sauce can be refrigerated for up to 3 days or frozen for up to 1 month.

1 small onion, cut into rough ½-inch pieces
1 small carrot, peeled and cut into rough ½-inch pieces
8 ounces cremini mushrooms, trimmed and halved
2 garlic gloves, peeled
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
8 ounces 85 percent lean ground beef
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 cups dry red wine
4 cups beef broth
4 sprigs fresh thyme
2 bay leaves
2 teaspoons whole peppercorns
5 teaspoons unflavored gelatin

1. Pulse onion, carrot, mushrooms, and garlic in food processor into ⅛-inch pieces, 10 to 12 pulses, scraping down bowl as needed.

2. Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat until shimmering; add beef and tomato paste and cook, stirring frequently, until beef is well browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Add vegetable mixture and cook, stirring occasionally, until any exuded moisture has evaporated, about 8 minutes. Add wine and bring to simmer, scraping bottom of pan to loosen browned bits. Add broth, thyme, bay leaves, and peppercorns; bring to boil. Reduce heat and gently boil, occasionally scraping bottom and sides of pot and skimming fat from surface, until reduced to 2 cups, 20 to 25 minutes.

3. Strain mixture through fine-mesh strainer set over small saucepan, pressing on solids to extract as much liquid as possible (you should have about 1 cup). Sprinkle gelatin over top and stir to dissolve. Bring to boil over medium-high heat and boil gently, stirring occasionally, until reduced to ½ cup, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from heat and cover to keep warm.
Back to top Go down
https://hydracave.forumotion.com

Steak Sauce
Page 1 of 1