Potpourri Americana
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Potpourri Americana

I don't have a printer, so I print what I want to print here.
A collection of my personal bookmarks

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

(Thai) Sweet Chili Sauce Orange Chicken

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Astraea

Astraea

Number of posts : 2738
Favorite Quote : Beware the deadly donkey falling from the sky You may choose the way you live, my friend But not the way you die
Registration date : 2007-08-11

(Thai) Sweet Chili Sauce Orange Chicken  Empty
PostSubject: (Thai) Sweet Chili Sauce Orange Chicken    (Thai) Sweet Chili Sauce Orange Chicken  EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 7:05 pm

This recipe may be very different from what you’re used to seeing for Orange Chicken. For one, I oven-fried (baked) the chicken pieces rather than deep frying them. The coating I used, isn’t typically ‘Asian’ either. Secondly, the base of the sauce is Mayonnaise and Thai Sweet Chili Sauce (see my homemade sweet chili sauce recipe here, or you can use store-bought).

Now, since I came up with this recipe pretty much as I went along, I was a little more scatter-brained than usual and I missed taking a couple pictures of some steps. I do hope you’ll excuse me for this. However, I loved how the final dish turned out and rather than wait till the next time I make it again (which I most definitely will!), I thought I’d post it anyway. Without much further ado …my version of….

(Thai) Sweet Chili Sauce Recipe
Orange Chicken Recipe

Ingredients:
For the chicken-
2 large chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch pieces.
3 eggs
2 tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp hot sauce
1 cup of flour
1/2 tsp pepper

For the sauce-
1/2 cup of Mayonnaise
4-5 tbsp sweet chili sauce
Zest of half an orange
1/2 cup orange juice (I freshly squeezed it)
green onions/ chives for garnish

Method:
- Pre-heat the oven to 400F. Cut 2 large chicken breasts into approx. 1 inch pieces or bite sized pieces.
- In a bowl, whisk together 3 eggs, a teaspoon of garlic salt and a touch of hot sauce (siracha/tobasco…whatever you have).
- Add the chicken pieces to the egg and mix them around so that all they’re all coated in egg.
- In another shallow bowl/dish, mix together a cup of flour, the remaining garlic salt and some black pepper together.
- In small batches of 3-4 pieces, coat the egg drenched chicken pieces in the seasoned flour and place them on a foil lined baking sheet. You could also deep fry the pieces if you want, but I choose to bake them (although it doesn’t look the same as when you fry the chicken, when coated in the sauce it taste’s just as good!)
- Bake the chicken at 400F for about 15 minutes and them stick them under the broiler for another 5 minutes to brown them slightly.
- While the chicken is cooking, you can mix together all the ingredients for the sauce. Half a cup of mayonnaise, 4-5 tbsp of Thai sweet chili sauce (I used my home-made recipe), the zest of half an orange and half a cup of orange juice.
- Whisk it all together (I know it looks gross at first) until there are no more lumps.
- Pour the sauce into a sauce pan and bring it to a gentle boil on medium-high heat.
- Once the chicken is slightly browned and cooked through, add it to the simmering sauce. Mix it well so that all the pieces are coated in the sweet sauce. The flour on the chicken will make the sauce thicken and it’ll also start looking glossier and clearer.
- Turn off the heat once the sauce reaches the desired thickness.
- Garnish with some fresh chopped green onion/scallions or garlic chives.
Back to top Go down
https://hydracave.forumotion.com

(Thai) Sweet Chili Sauce Orange Chicken
Page 1 of 1