Potpourri Americana
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Potpourri Americana

I don't have a printer, so I print what I want to print here.
A collection of my personal bookmarks

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Hot ‘n’ Spicy Pumpkin Soup

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Astraea

Astraea

Number of posts : 2738
Favorite Quote : Beware the deadly donkey falling from the sky You may choose the way you live, my friend But not the way you die
Registration date : 2007-08-11

Hot ‘n’ Spicy Pumpkin Soup Empty
PostSubject: Hot ‘n’ Spicy Pumpkin Soup   Hot ‘n’ Spicy Pumpkin Soup EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 1:32 am

http://meatbeasta.wordpress.com/2011/11/17/hot-n-spicy-pumpkin-soup/

Posted November 17, 2011 by meatbeasta in Autumn, Recipes, Soups, Squash, Vegetables. Tagged: autumn, bob marley, dish of the day, fall, hot n spicy pumpkin soup, pumpkin, recipes, soup, soups, squash, stir it up, vegetables. 2 Comments

Hot 'n' Spicy (and creamy!) Pumpkin Soup

Alright folks! Sorry for the delay, costume designer responsibilities were calling. Without further delay…

This recipe also came from the Better Homes and Gardens “Biggest Book of Slow-Cooker Recipes”…

Hot ‘n’ Spicy Pumpkin Soup (pg. 142)

Prep time: 20 minutes

Cook time: Low 6 hours, High 3 hours

Makes: 6-8 servings (I found this to be less in real life)

Slow cooker: 3 1/2 to 4 quarts

Ingredients:

1 15-ounce can pumpkin (can also make your own pureed pumpkin, future recipe!)
1 cup chopped celery (2 stalks)
1/2 cup chopped carrot (1 medium)
1/2 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed (I used my own that I dried from my garden Summer 2010)
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper (add more or less depending on how spicy you like it, this soup gets REALLY spicy, I only had red pepper flakes so I used those)
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
2 14-ounce cans of vegetable or chicken broth
2 medium tomatoes, chopped 1 1/2 cups (I didn’t have any tomatoes on hand so I omitted these)
1/4 cup whipping or heavy cream
Toasted shelled pumpkin seeds or dry-roasted, shelled sunflower seeds OPTIONAL (I didn’t have these)

Instructions:

Wash and cut up all your vegetables. I saved any peels and scraps for my compost!

I chopped up a bit more than the recipe called for.
Throw celery, carrots, onions into crock pot. Add the pureed pumpkin, salt, oregano, rosemary, ground red pepper, and ginger. I would say in terms of spices, add more of any spice that you would like (or less). I put in a little more ground red pepper than the recipe called for, and my soup ended up REALLY spicy (for my tastes). I guess I didn’t think the few extra flakes would make a big difference, but boy did they ever! I also added more ground ginger because I love ginger and pumpkin together. Next time I may experiment with other spices like allspice and nutmeg.

Everything but the broth added!
Stir in broth. I used one of those 32 ounce boxes of chicken broth. Eventually, I hope to have my own homemade chicken stock. I’ve got a stew hen from my favorite local farmer in the freezer that I need to attack at some point, with that will come a stock recipe!
Cover, cook on low-heat setting for 6 to 8 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 to 4 hours. I set it on low for 8 hours. I did all this yesterday morning right before I had to go to work and figured by the time someone else in the house would get home from work the soup should be about done and ready for the next step, so I left them directions on the counter. I knew I wouldn’t be getting home until late.

Cover and set to low.
Stir in chopped tomatoes and cream. Ladle into bowls. Sprinkle with seeds, if desired. So, my dad stirred in the cream and like I said earlier, I had not tomatoes on hand so I left them out.

Empty soup bowl! The lense was foggy after having just taken a photo of the hot soup :/

So, when I got home from work last night, my mom said that my dad and brother said the soup was really spicy. I was surprised because they tend to like spicier foods (unlike me). I poured some in a bowl and tested it myself, WOW! It certainly had a spicy kick! After cooking down for all those hours the spices really take hold! I added some provolone cheese to the soup in my bowl and it was delicious! I suggest doing the same! Next time I make this soup I won’t use as much red pepper, but I do highly recommend this soup for a warming, creamy autumn dish to accompany any October-November meal!
Back to top Go down
https://hydracave.forumotion.com

Page 1 of 1