Potpourri Americana
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Potpourri Americana

I don't have a printer, so I print what I want to print here.
A collection of my personal bookmarks

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Lotion

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Astraea

Astraea

Number of posts : 2738
Favorite Quote : Beware the deadly donkey falling from the sky You may choose the way you live, my friend But not the way you die
Registration date : 2007-08-11

Lotion Empty
PostSubject: Lotion   Lotion EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 1:33 pm

http://www.frugalmom.net/blog/beauty-fashion/beauty/how-to-make-your-own-lotions-and-bath-products/

Making your own lotions and bath products is actually a lot easier than you might think. With a few ingredients purchased at your local supermarket or natural health store, you can be on your way to creating them right in your own kitchen.

Homemade bath and beauty products usually cost much less than the ones you buy in the store, and you will have the benefit of knowing that the ingredients are safe for you to use on your body. You can make fabulous gifts for friends and family. Making your own lotions and bath brews may even turn into a fun and fulfilling hobby!

Lotion
Oil is a key ingredient in lotion, so the first step is choosing the oil that is best suited to your skin type. If you have dry skin, you might want to try almond oil. For sensitive skin, grape-seed oil is recommended. For oily skin types, sesame seed oil may be a good choice because it's a bit lighter. To make the lotion, mix 1/2 cup of your chosen oil with 2 tablespoons of an emulsifier such as beeswax. You need to melt this mixture together and this can be done either in the microwave or on the stovetop. If you choose to use the microwave, make sure to use a microwave-safe glass dish and to check the mixture every 30 seconds. Once the beeswax and oil have melted, slowly add some distilled water and stir rapidly. You can substitute rosewater instead, if you'd like. After you've added some water, you can add several drops of your favorite essential oil for fragrance as well as vitamin E for anti-aging benefits.

Another way to make your own lotion is to melt together 3/4 cup oil, 2 teaspoons of steric acid, and 1 teaspoon of beeswax. In a separate bowl, mix 1/2 cup water with 1/2 teaspoon Borax. Heat the water and Borax until the mixture is boiling. Carefully combine the hot mixtures and blend them together. You can do this by hand or in an electric blender. Pour the mixture into a pretty glass jar or bottle and scent it with your choice of essential oils.

For a nice, fresh all-over moisturizer, mix Aloe Vera gel with a few drops of essential oil. For an energizing fragrance, choose a citrus oil such as orange or lemon. For a more relaxing blend, try lavender or Roman chamomile. In the summer-time, keep it in the refrigerator–the cool gel will feel great after an afternoon in the sun.
Back to top Go down
https://hydracave.forumotion.com

Lotion
Page 1 of 1