Potpourri Americana
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Potpourri Americana

I don't have a printer, so I print what I want to print here.
A collection of my personal bookmarks

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Mock Thin Mints

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Astraea

Astraea

Number of posts : 2738
Favorite Quote : Beware the deadly donkey falling from the sky You may choose the way you live, my friend But not the way you die
Registration date : 2007-08-11

Mock Thin Mints Empty
PostSubject: Mock Thin Mints   Mock Thin Mints EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 9:46 pm

http://stellabskitchen.blogspot.com/2011/02/cousin-of-thin-mint-cookie.html
{Cousin of a} Thin Mint Cookie
recipe by Stella B's Kitchen
printer friendly version

FOR THE COOKIES:
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup malted milk powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
12 tablespoons butter, cubed
1/2 Tbsp vinegar
1 small egg, slightly beaten
2 Tbsp water
1/2 tsp pure peppermint extract

Blend dry ingredients. Cut butter with pastry blender into dry ingredients until it resembles coarse crumbs, like you would for a pie crust. In a small bowl, mix vinegar, egg, water and peppermint. Using a stand mixer, combine the wet and dry ingredients til thoroughly combined. Dough will be sticky. Scrape dough onto two or three sheets of wax paper, pressing into a log shape. Roll up in wax paper. Refrigerate for 15 minutes, re-roll for a better log shape once dough sets up a bit.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment or a baking mat. Once thoroughly chilled, at least an hour, take one log out of refrigerator. Slice cookies 1/8 inch thick, as thin as you can get them. Rotate log as you cut and gently roll periodically to keep a nice, round log.

Bake in 350 degree oven for 10 minutes, or until crisp when cooled. {try baking a couple cookies first to determine proper thickness and bake time to get a crisp cookie}

Cool and set aside. You will get about 100-130 cookies, depending on how thick you slice and the diameter of your logs.

FOR THE CHOCOLATE-PEPPERMINT COATING:
16 ounces Semisweet or Bittersweet chocolate, chopped (or chips)~your preference here
2 1/2 ounces Gulf Wax *chop fine to melt faster*
1 tsp pure peppermint extract

Using a double boiler, melt chocolate, Gulf Wax and peppermint til smooth. Dip cookies. Place cookie on a fork, submerge in chocolate, lift out cookie and allow excess chocolate to drip off, tap fork on pan/bowl while holding cookie over bowl of melted chocolate to remove excess chocolate. Place on wax paper to firm up and set. {Let rest a couple hours} Store in airtight container or freeze.

*depending on how warm/hot the chocolate is and how much you allow to drip off...and how big/thin your cookies are, the chocolate peppermint coating will be enough for the entire batch, give or take 15 cookies.
Back to top Go down
https://hydracave.forumotion.com

Mock Thin Mints
Page 1 of 1