Potpourri Americana
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Potpourri Americana

I don't have a printer, so I print what I want to print here.
A collection of my personal bookmarks

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Turkish Pogaca

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Astraea

Astraea

Number of posts : 2738
Favorite Quote : Beware the deadly donkey falling from the sky You may choose the way you live, my friend But not the way you die
Registration date : 2007-08-11

Turkish Pogaca Empty
PostSubject: Turkish Pogaca   Turkish Pogaca EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 10:34 pm

http://momwhats4dinner.com/pogaca/
Pogaca
Monday, June 11th, 2012 | 9 Comments

Posted in Appetizers, Burek/Börek Tags: Burek or Börek Recipes, Meze Appetizers

Pogača is popular all over the Balkans….its made in different shapes and sizes! The dough is soft and the filling simple! Great served as an appetizer or on your breakfast table!

It took me a few times to get the dough perfect….I like soft dough sometimes pogaca can be dry depending on who makes it, and I don’t like dry bread! Once I got the measurements correct I wrote it down right away! The problem is I am used to measuring with North American measurements when baking, where as in Turkey for example a cup is actually a Turkish glass teacup! I cannot tell you how many times I made something and mixed up the measuring cups!

I measured how much liquid will fit in a glass teacup and it comes to 1/2 cup in a standard measuring cup! I used a glass teacup for the liquid parts of this recipe. If you happen to have Turkish tea glasses then follow recipe as is….if not use 1/2 cup in a standard measuring cup!

What you will need:

1 Turkish glass teacup yogurt
1 Turkish glass teacup warm milk
1 Turkish glass teacup olive oil
1 egg
3 regular cups of flour
1 and 1/2 tsp yeast
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt

Dissolve sugar in warm milk, add yeast, let foam rise takes about 3 minutes. Add the yogurt, olive oil and egg to the yeast mixture. Whisk together till blended. Pour in the flour with salt and start to knead till forms soft dough. Grease the bowl that the dough is in and cover with cling wrap and kitchen towel. The dough will be a bit cold because of the cold ingredients, what I do to warm it up and help it rise is; fill a pot with hot tap water and add the bowl with the dough in it, it will rise in about an hour.

Filling:

1 bunch fresh parsley
1 cup crumbled up feta

Rinse and dry parsley, chop finely and combine with feta cheese.

Garnish:

1-2 egg yolks
Sesame seeds or black seeds

Once dough has risen, pull into little balls and shape as desired on a floured surface. You can make braids, balls, rolls, half moons what ever you like! I like making a variety.

To make balls; roll into a circle, fill in with a teaspoon of filling and fold in the edges and pinching on the bottom making a ball.

For a braid; roll out into a small rectangle and cut slits about 7 on each side fill the middle, and braid.

For half moons; Roll into a circle fill with a teaspoon of filling, fold over and using your finger tips close edges.

Brush tops with egg yolk and sprinkle with black seeds or sesame seeds if desired.

Place a on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake at 400 till golden, takes about 10-15 minutes.

If your pogaca’s are not as golden on top as you would like, put them under the broiler for a minute…that should do the trick!
Back to top Go down
https://hydracave.forumotion.com

Turkish Pogaca
Page 1 of 1