Potpourri Americana
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Potpourri Americana

I don't have a printer, so I print what I want to print here.
A collection of my personal bookmarks

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Cucumber Sandwiches

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Astraea

Astraea

Number of posts : 2738
Favorite Quote : Beware the deadly donkey falling from the sky You may choose the way you live, my friend But not the way you die
Registration date : 2007-08-11

Cucumber Sandwiches Empty
PostSubject: Cucumber Sandwiches   Cucumber Sandwiches EmptySun Aug 19, 2012 9:32 pm

http://www.goodfoodstories.com/2012/08/16/eating-my-words-oscar-wildes-cucumber-sandwiches/
Oscar Wilde wrote:
“I can resist everything except temptation.”
Oscar Wilde’s Tempting and Irresistible Cucumber Sandwiches

Total time: 20 minutes or so
Makes between 25 and 45 sandwiches, depending on how you slice them
Ingredients:

4-5 large cloves of garlic, depending on how garlicky you like things
1 11.5-oz. tub whipped Philadelphia cream cheese
a small handful of chives, about a quarter of an ounce
salt and pepper, to taste
1 large seedless cucumber
1 loaf Pepperidge Farm Very Thin bread

Method:

Mince garlic finely, smashing with the side of your knife for maximum pulpiness. (Note: since the garlic will remain raw, remove the germ, which leaves a bitter taste. Not sure if your garlic has sprouted? Cut the clove in half, lengthwise, to check. If you see a pale green sprout in the middle, pull it out.)

Mix the cream cheese and garlic in a bowl. Finely cut chives (I find this easier using scissors than a knife) into the bowl. Mix thoroughly, adding pepper to taste.

Slice the cucumber as thinly as possible—preferably about a millimeter thick (if you’re a mandoline enthusiast, this is a good time to pull yours out). If your cucumbers are too thick, your slices of bread will skid off each other when you go to slice your sandwich.

Assemble your sandwiches by spreading cream cheese thinly across each slice of bread and evenly covering half the cream cheese-covered slices with rounds of the translucently thin cucumber.

Sprinkle a tiny amount of salt on the cucumbers, if you like (I do!), and top with the another piece of bread. Cut the crusts off to leave yourself with a perfect square of sandwich. You can decide how to divide it: into quarters, rectangles, two triangles?—just ask yourself, What Would Wilde Do?

You can, of course, add other things to cucumber sandwiches if you so desire. As something of a purist, the only thing I ever add is watercress, but you could conceivably add arugula, thinly sliced radish, very thinly sliced ham, or any other favorite garnish.
Back to top Go down
https://hydracave.forumotion.com
Astraea

Astraea

Number of posts : 2738
Favorite Quote : Beware the deadly donkey falling from the sky You may choose the way you live, my friend But not the way you die
Registration date : 2007-08-11

Cucumber Sandwiches Empty
PostSubject: Cucumber Tea Sandwiches   Cucumber Sandwiches EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 6:18 pm

http://frogprincepaperie.com/2010/04/cool-as-a-cucumber-sandwich.html

CUCUMBER TEA SANDWICHES
Marinade:
1 cucumber (large), peeled and thinly sliced*
1/4 c. white wine vinegar
1/4 c. olive oil
2 T. chopped minced garlic
1 T. lemon juice
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
salt and pepper
Spread:
1/4 c. room temperature butter
8 oz. softened cream cheese
1 tsp. garlic salt
1 T. snipped chives

8 slices white bread

For marinade: Toss all in a bowl, seasoning with salt and pepper to taste. Let sit for at least an hour, preferably overnight.

For spread: Combine all in a bowl and use while soft. It keeps well in the refrigerator, but won’t tear the bread when it’s a little more pliant. This spread is also good with chopped fresh basil, if you have it available.

To assemble: Spread cream cheese mixture on bread (both sandwich pieces). Top with marinated cucumbers. Make sure to cut the crusts for a proper tea sandwich!

*English cucumbers without seeds would probably be best here, but I regularly make them with the regular kind with no problem.
Back to top Go down
https://hydracave.forumotion.com

Cucumber Sandwiches
Page 1 of 1