Potpourri Americana
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Potpourri Americana

I don't have a printer, so I print what I want to print here.
A collection of my personal bookmarks

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Pop Tarts

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Astraea

Astraea

Number of posts : 2738
Favorite Quote : Beware the deadly donkey falling from the sky You may choose the way you live, my friend But not the way you die
Registration date : 2007-08-11

Pop Tarts Empty
PostSubject: Pop Tarts   Pop Tarts EmptySun Sep 02, 2012 7:32 am

http://undressedskeleton.tumblr.com/post/28919468424/12-lighter-homemade-pop-tarts

Recipe For Pastry Dough:
  • 1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
  • 1 Cup White Flour
  • 2 Tbsp Baking Stevia
  • 1/2 Tsp Salt
  • 1/4 Cup Plain Chobani
  • 1/4 Unsalted Butter Diced at Refrigerator Temp.
  • 3 Tbsp Skim Milk
Directions:
  1. In a mixer combine flours, Stevia, and salt.
  2. Slowly add in milk and Chobani
  3. Beat in butter until thick. (You may have to add more flour if your butter is warm)
  4. Roll up dough and wrap it with plastic wrap.
  5. Place in refrigerator until ready to use.
Ingredients For Fillings:

Blueberry Cobbler : 1 Tbsp Fresh Blueberries, 1 Tsp Brown Sugar, 1 Tsp Fat Free Cream Cheese
Sweet Peach: 1 Tbsp Peaches Diced, 1 Tsp Brown Sugar (You can use any fruit.
Brown Sugar Cinnamon- 3 Tbsp Brown Sugar, 1 Tsp Cinnamon 1/2 Tbsp Fat Free Cream Cheese
Blackberry Jam - Sugar Free Smuckers Jam (Use any flavor)
Banana Cinnamon- 1 Tbsp Thin Banana Slices, Sprinkle Cinnamon
Lemon Curd - 1 Tbsp Light Lemon Curd from can (find in baking aisle)
Apple Pie Oats- 1 Tbsp Quick Oats, 1/2 Tbsp Green Apple Diced, 1/8 Tsp Cinnamon
Cherry Cream- 1 Tbsp Fresh Cherries Diced, 1/2 Tbsp Fat Free Cream Cheese, 1 Tsp Stevia
Coconut Almond Cream- 1 Tbsp Shredded Coconut, 1/2 Tbsp Fat Free Cream Cheese, 1/2 Tbsp Sliced Almonds
Sweet Green Apple- 1 Tbsp Green Apple Dices, 1 Tsp Brown Sugar
Smores- 1 Tbsp Marshmallow Cream, 1 Tbsp Crushed Graham Cracker, 1 Dark Chocolate Hershey’s Square Chopped
Dark Chocolate Latte- 1 Dark Chocolate Hershey’s Sqaure Chopped, 1 Tsp Sugar Free Maxwell Coffee, 1 Tsp Quick Oats, 1 Tsp Fat Free Cream Cheese

After all the fillings are prepared take the dough out of the refrigerator and roll out into a thin crust. Cut into 2x2in squares. Before you stack the dough make sure to sprinkle with flour to prevent sticking.

Lay a sheet of wax paper onto a baking sheet and spray with pam. Lay twelve of the dough sheets onto the pan. Add the fillings on top.

You might have to pick up the dough sheets and stretch them to fit. I had to do this several times.

Take the tips of the fork and press down the edges. Working with this dough is kind of like working with clay. The score marks will help the sides stick.

After all the Pop-tarts are assembled make sure to write down on a piece of paper the flavors and their placements. It makes frosting much easier! Bake the Pop-tarts 13-18 minutes at 350 degrees.

For the topping:

2 Cups Powdered sugar
2 Tbsp Meringue Powder
4 Tbsp Water
Sprinkles of course!

All the Pop-tarts have 1 Tsp of glaze. It will spread out slowly and look like much more.

I dipped the end of a stick into food coloring and mixed the color right in the Tsp that way I didn’t have to keep cleaning the bowl.

After placing the layer of glaze I sprinkled the top.

When doing the glaze make sure to keep the Tsp of glaze in the center of the pop-tart. The glaze will spread by itself slowly.

I chose colors that represented the flavors on the inside. It helped me remember which Pop-tart is which. I also kept a towel and water bowl next to me to do a quick rinse of the spoon.

They might not look as pretty as the real pop-tarts but they certainly taste good Smile

The pop-tarts would be perfect for parties or for kids. I can’t wait to make these on Christmas morning. I’m thinking of doing a peppermint mocha flavor! This is also a great office treat to bring instead of donuts.

I loved how the insides looked. The dough was very flaky and almost textured like phyllo dough and a toaster strudel. My favorite was the coconut!

Calories For Pop-tarts:

Blueberry Cobbler: 115 Calories, 4g Fat, 21g Carbs, 10g Sugar, 2g Protein
Sweet Peach: 110 Calories, 4g Fat, 20g Carbs, 9g Sugar, 2g Protein
Brown Sugar Cinnamon-145 Calories, 4g Fat, 24g Carbs, 14g Sugar, 2g Protein
Blackberry Jam- 101 Calories, 4g Fat, 17g Carbs, 7g Sugar, 2g Protein
Banana Cinnamon- 125 Calories, 5g Fat, 22g Carbs, 11g Sugar, 2g Protein
Lemon Curd- 105 Calories, 4g Fat, 19g Carbs, 9g Sugar, 2g Protein
Apple Pie Oats-135 Calories, 5g Fat, 22g Carbs, 12g Sugar, 2g Protein
Cherry Cream- 112 Calories, 4g Fat, 17g Carbs, 11g Sugar, 2g Protein
Coconut Almond Cream- 155 Calories, 4g Fat, 25g Carbs, 12g Sugar, 2g Protein
Sweet Green Apple- 113 Calories, 4g Fat, 22g Carbs, 11g Sugar, 2g Protein
Dark Chocolate Latte-145 Calories, 4g Fat, 23g Carbs, 15g Sugar, 2g Protein