Potpourri Americana
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Potpourri Americana

I don't have a printer, so I print what I want to print here.
A collection of my personal bookmarks

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Pantry

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Astraea

Astraea

Number of posts : 2738
Favorite Quote : Beware the deadly donkey falling from the sky You may choose the way you live, my friend But not the way you die
Registration date : 2007-08-11

The Pantry Empty
PostSubject: The Pantry   The Pantry EmptyMon Sep 24, 2012 12:26 am

Pioneer Woman's Pantry:
http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2012/01/stocking-up/

Stocking Up

On today’s Food Network show, I cook a few recipes from staples I happen to have have on hand in my pantry, freezer, and fridge. Since I never like to get in my car and go anywhere, ever (don’t be like me; I have issues, man) I try my best to structure things so that I have a stockpile of basic essentials that I buy in bulk once, twice, three times a year…then I just fill in the fresh things (milk, bread, eggs, fresh produce, meat, etc) as needed.

Since time is limited on the show, here’s the complete, comprehensive list of what I must have in my kitchen at all times or else I get twitchy and start to have disturbing dreams:

PANTRY ITEMS

Canned tomatoes: Crushed, whole, diced, tomato paste, RO*TEL
Dried pastas in every shape and size imaginable
Rice: long grain, brown, and Arborio for risotto
Peanut butter
Honey: Sweeten yogurt smoothies, use in recipes…and drizzle on hot biscuits. Sorry.
Various jellies: Strawberry, apricot, jalapeno
Real Maple syrup
Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. Add to soups. Add to roasts. Puree with mayonnaise for a great salad dressing or veggie dip.
Roasted red peppers: place them on panini, puree them and make a soup or pasta sauce, chop them and make bruschetta
Canned artichoke hearts: throw into a pantry pasta sauce, make baked artichoke dip, etc.
Assorted olives, jalapenos, pepperoncinis etc.
Baking ingredients: bulk flour (all-purpose, whole wheat, self-rising), sugar, brown sugar (store in a nice airtight container), powdered sugar, baking powder, baking soda, extracts, yeast, etc.
Shortening and vegetable oil
Chocolate chips and other forms of baking chocolate
Oatmeal and other grains
Evaporated milk and sweetened condensed milk
Cornmeal: Use in baking, of course, but also dissolve a little in water and stir into soups and chilis for a little thickening and flavor
Masa: Corn flour sold in the Hispanic Foods aisle. Use in similar ways as cornmeal.
Ketchup, different mustards, and barbecue sauce
Mayonnaise: (Not Miracle Whip. Grody.)

Also…

Potatoes, onions, and garlic. I store ‘em in a basket so air can circulate.

Onions and garlic are the basis of innumerable recipes.

Potatoes are…well, essential out here.

Dried beans. Put ‘em in soups. Put ‘em in stews. Cook ‘em in a pot with a hamhock. Make refried beans. So delightfully basic.

Stocks and broths. Chicken, beef, vegetable. Make soups, braise briskets, make pot roast. Amen.
Jarred pesto and specialty relishes, chutneys, etc.

Jarred pesto is an easy way to inject big flavor into soups, pasta, quiches, chicken salads, dips, and dressings when you don’t have access to fresh basil.

Panko breadcrumbs. Top casseroles. Coat fried mozzarella. Mix them in meatballs and meatloaf.

And then of course: Kosher salt, black pepper, Worcestershire, Tabasco, olive oil, different vinegars, soy sauce, etc.

FRIDGE
Lemons, limes, and apples.

Butter. Sorry.

And longer lasting cheeses like cheddar, Parmesan, and feta, which has a nice, long shelf life.

Bacon. Sorry again. And this can be a freezer item, too. Make BLT’s, top burgers, cut into bits and fry with onion as the basis for some pasta sauces and soups.

Also: Corn tortillas. If they’re stored properly, they seem to last forever in the fridge.

And then there’s the beloved freezer.

FREEZER

Beef, wrapped in butcher paper.
Chicken breasts, wings, legs, and thighs, either flash frozen then stored in ziploc bags, or vacuum sealed
Raw shrimp
Sausage: breakfast sausage, Italian sausage, chorizo, etc.
Bread: Crusty artisan loaves that I get when I’m in the big city, and a couple of back-up loaves of sandwich breads
Pizza dough: unrisen, stored in ziplocs
Frozen dinner rolls: I love the (storebought!) unrisen, unbaked little round balls of dough. They rise and bake up so beautifully, and you can slather them with butter and chopped rosemary and turn them into something entirely different. And you can roll them out and use them to make calzones or mini-pizzas.
Pie crust: formed into disks and stored in ziplocs. To use, just remove, let thaw for 30 minutes or so, then roll out.
Pecans/walnuts
Frozen fruits: Peaches, berries, cherries, etc. These are awesome stand-ins for pies, crisps and cobblers when the fresh fruits aren’t in season. And you throw the frozen fruit right into the blender for smoothies whenever you want.

“Fresh” vegetables. The freezer is where I stock the veggies that aren’t great in canned form: green beans, peas, lima beans, carrots, corn. These non-acidic vegetables stay so much more delicious, nutritious, and fresh in the freezer.

(Freeze your own veggies out of the garden by blanching, then throwing in ice water, then drying, then flash freezing, then throwing into larger ziplocs.)

Ready-made recipes stored flat in ziploc bags. Take a day where you cook up bulk recipes for the freezer, or just gradually build them up over time. Store both large and small quantities so you can easily feed a crowd…or just yourself. Reheat by adding to a large pot with a little water just to help it along.

Chili, which you can eat it on its own or put on top of burgers, hot dogs, nachos, Fritos, etc.
Pasta sauces
Soups and stews

And weird little ingredients like homemeade pumpkin puree—measure it in 1 or 2-cup quantities so you can easily use them in holiday recipes.

Here’s the downloadable and printable list if you’d like to have a hard copy:
Stocking Up – The Printable List (http://static.thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/files/2012/01/StockingUp1.pdf )

And now…I’m going to go cook something. I’m hungry.

I may have missed a few items (my mind is a highly imperfect mechanism) so feel free to shout out your not-to-be-missed pantry, fridge, or freezer staples!
Back to top Go down
https://hydracave.forumotion.com
Astraea

Astraea

Favorite Quote : Beware the deadly donkey falling from the sky You may choose the way you live, my friend But not the way you die

The Pantry Empty
PostSubject: Frugal Pantry   The Pantry EmptySat Oct 20, 2012 6:11 am

A Frugal Pantry :: recipes using items from the pantry

Click link above to link to the recipes
January’s Eat from the Pantry Challenge showed me how fun it can be to cook from my food storage. I never had before given it much thought, but I was pleased to find out I had enough variety in the cupboard to pull together some tasty meals.

As I thought about it, I realized that with a little coaching and some recipe inspiration, the average home cook could regularly stock a pantry with all kinds of tricks inside. If we are purposeful in what we buy and keep on hand, there’s no end to the yummy things we can create. And if we can do it on a budget, too, well, that’s the cat’s meow!

Starting on Monday I will be bringing you ideas, recipes, and ingredients for you to add to your shopping cart. And some fantastic bloggers will be chiming in along the way. Cooking from scratch is a fantastic way to keep more dollars in your pocket. And we’re going to show you how with a few key ingredients.

I identified 12 ingredient categories that I think fit the budget as well as the “we-like-to-eat-this” pantry. They include:

Flours

Basic Info
What You Can Make With Flour
5-Grain Pancake Mix
Ultimate Recipe Swap: Recipes that Use Flour
FishFamily Favorites
Gluten-Free Flours

Whole Grains

Basic Info
What You Can Make with Grains
Grain Storage Ideas
Ultimate Recipe Swap: Whole Grains
Maple Granola with Oats, Nuts, and Seeds
Quinoa-Stuffed Bell Peppers

Eggs

Basic Info
What Can You Make with Eggs
Sausage and Cheese Frittata
Ultimate Recipe Swap: Egg Dishes
Bacon and Spinach Quiche
Basic Hard-Cooked Eggs

Leavenings

Basic Info
What Can You Make with Leaveners
Sourdough Starter Primer
Ultimate Recipe Swap
Simple Breakfast Fare Anyone Can Bake
Cinnamon Roll Convenience Without the Can

Sweeteners

Basic Info
What Can You Make That’s Sweet
Buying, Storing, and Using Alternative Sweeteners
Ultimate Recipe Swap: Dessert

Herbs and Spices

Put a Little Spice in Your Pantry
What Can You Make with Herbs and Spices?
Using Spices in Everyday Cooking
Couscous Salad
Ultimate Recipe Swap: Spicy Fish Rub and Grilled Shrimp Tacos
Keeping Life Budget-Friendly and Spice-y

Root Vegetables

Basic Info
What Can You Make with Root Veggies
How I Taught My Kids to Like Visible Onion Pieces
Ultimate Recipe Swap: How to Peel a Potato and Recipes that Use Root Veggies
FishFamily Favorites with Roots and Bulbs
The Humble Spud, A Pantry Staple

Legumes

Basic Info
What Can You Make with Beans?
Southwestern Black Bean Pasta
Ultimate Recipe Swap

Fruit

Basic Info
What Can You Make with Fruit?
How to Cut a Melon
Ultimate Recipe Swap
Cutting Grapefruit Sections
Making Fruit Jam

Vegetables

Basic Info
What Can You Make with Vegetables?
Preparing Artichokes
Ultimate Recipe Swap

Fats and Oils

Basic Info
What Can You Make with Butter and Oil?
Butter is Better for Baking
Easy Garlic Bread and an Ultimate Recipe Swap

Flavors (more on this later)

Basic Info
What Can You Make with Rich Flavors?
Almond-Ginger Granola
How to Roast Chiles
Poblano-Chile Enchiladas and an Ultimate Recipe Swap

Tomatoes

Basic Info
What Can You Make with Tomatoes?
Tomato Varieties and a Great Pasta Salad
Pesto Pasta Salad with Roasted Tomatoes and an Ultimate Recipe Swap
Oven Roasted Tomatoes
Tomato Pie

Nuts and Seeds

Basic Info
What Can You Make with Nuts and Seeds?
Add Some Crunch to Salads
Nutty Streusel Topping and an Ultimate Recipe Swap
Cinnamon Roasted Almonds, Pecans, or Walnuts

These pantry staples as the basic items to keep on hand as the budget allows. Many of them are regular “stockpile” items while others are rich ingredients (both in flavor and in price) that can stretch far to give foods some punch. If you have these ingredients, there is NO END to the good — and cheap — eats you could make!
Back to top Go down
Astraea

Astraea

The Pantry Empty
PostSubject: Organizing the pantry   The Pantry EmptyThu Oct 25, 2012 6:50 am

http://burlapanddenim.com/2012/01/my-corner-market-aka-my-pantry/

Use like size containers
Store small appliances
Use metal bins on the floor to hold snack items for the littles (also bins on a shelf will hold snack foods, too)
Recycle bulk food storage items to reuse and add uniformity on the shelf
Use baskets for root vegetables

Put lighting in the pantry to make it user friendly
Back to top Go down
Astraea

Astraea

The Pantry Empty
PostSubject: Pantry Organized Pics   The Pantry EmptySat Nov 24, 2012 1:34 am

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Pantry Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Pantry   The Pantry Empty

Back to top Go down

The Pantry
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum