Potpourri Americana
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Potpourri Americana

I don't have a printer, so I print what I want to print here.
A collection of my personal bookmarks

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Vegan Raw Brownies

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Astraea

Astraea

Number of posts : 2738
Favorite Quote : Beware the deadly donkey falling from the sky You may choose the way you live, my friend But not the way you die
Registration date : 2007-08-11

Vegan Raw Brownies Empty
PostSubject: Vegan Raw Brownies   Vegan Raw Brownies EmptyThu Nov 01, 2012 10:48 am

http://vegan-magic.blogspot.com/2011/10/raw-brownies.html

Khadrawy dates
Although easy to cut after setting in the fridge for a few hours, these brownies had their best flavour and texture 2-3 days later. If you're worried about their sugar content or weight gain, don't be. Dates contain simple sugars that the body easily converts into energy. They are calorie-dense and even one piece of brownie will fill you up and reduce your appetite. Due to their high fiber and tannin content, dates are excellent for cleansing the intestines (see below for more information).

Note: You don't need to stick with the amounts in my recipe. Change them to suit your taste and cut into any shape you like.

What you need...

1 kg packed Khadrawy dates
1 cup walnuts
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp rum extract

How to...

Pit the dates and halve them. Blend into a smooth paste (if you have a small blender, divide the amount).
Finely chop the walnuts or coarsely blend them.
Place all ingredients in a glass bowl and mix by hand until the cocoa is incorporated. Wet and cover the bottom and sides of a loaf pan with cling film, leaving more on both sides to cover the top and for easy removal (you can use an airtight container or a square pan as well). Spoon the mixture into the pan, press it down with your fingers to form a smooth layer with no air trapped inside, cover with cling film and refrigerate for a few hours (best would be 2 days, if you can wait that long).
Carefully remove from the pan, discard the cling film and cut into 1 inch pieces using a wet thin knife, washing the knife before each cut. Place the brownies on a plate and serve; alternatively you can pour chocolate ganache over them (recipe below). For a raw ganache, mix 4-5 Tb coconut milk with enough cocoa powder to get a thick, runny consistency. If you're not using all the brownie, keep the leftover in the fridge wrapped in cling film

50g dark chocolate (60%)
2 Tb coconut milk
1 Tb maple syrup
In a glass bowl over a pan of simmering water (water not touching the bottom of the bowl) melt the chocolate with the rest of the ingredients, mixing with a wooden spoon. Remove from heat and let cool down a bit before pouring over the brownies.

Note: You may as well turn this recipe into something fun: form small balls with the date paste and dip them in shredded coconut or cocoa powder to make truffles. Kids will love them.
Back to top Go down
https://hydracave.forumotion.com

Vegan Raw Brownies
Page 1 of 1