Potpourri Americana
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Potpourri Americana

I don't have a printer, so I print what I want to print here.
A collection of my personal bookmarks

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Amish Onion Cake

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Astraea

Astraea

Number of posts : 2738
Favorite Quote : Beware the deadly donkey falling from the sky You may choose the way you live, my friend But not the way you die
Registration date : 2007-08-11

Amish Onion Cake Empty
PostSubject: Amish Onion Cake   Amish Onion Cake EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 6:13 pm

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Amish-Onion-Cake

This rich, moist bread with an onion-poppy seed topping is a wonderful break from your everyday bread routine. You can serve it with any meat, and it's a nice accompaniment to soup or salad. I've made it many times and have often been asked to share the recipe. -Mitzi Sentiff, Annapolis, Maryland

Amish Onion Cake Recipe

Prep: 25 min. Bake: 35 min.
Yield: 10-12 Servings

Ingredients

3 to 4 medium onions, chopped
2 cups cold butter, divided
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
1-1/2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon brown sugar
5 eggs
3/4 cup 2% milk
3/4 cup sour cream

Directions

1. In a large skillet, cook onions in 1/2 cup butter over low heat for 10 minutes. Stir in the poppy seeds, salt, paprika and pepper; cook until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat; set aside.
  2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornstarch, baking powder and sugars. Cut in 1-1/4 cups butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Melt the remaining butter. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, sour cream and melted butter. make a well in dry ingredients; stir in egg mixture just until moistened.
  3. Spread into a greased 10-in. springform pan. Spoon onion mixture over the dough. Place pan on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve warm. Yield: 10-12 servings.

Nutritional Facts 1 serving (1 piece) equals 539 calories, 36 g fat (22 g saturated fat), 182 mg cholesterol, 748 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 9 g protein.
Back to top Go down
https://hydracave.forumotion.com

Amish Onion Cake
Page 1 of 1