Potpourri Americana
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Potpourri Americana

I don't have a printer, so I print what I want to print here.
A collection of my personal bookmarks

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

HeadBands

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Astraea

Astraea

Number of posts : 2738
Favorite Quote : Beware the deadly donkey falling from the sky You may choose the way you live, my friend But not the way you die
Registration date : 2007-08-11

HeadBands Empty
PostSubject: HeadBands   HeadBands EmptySun Nov 18, 2012 2:55 am

http://darlingadventures.com/?p=470

Hair Wrap
Quote :
http://kellyhicksdesign.com/2010/09/a-fashion-friday-diy/
The great thing about these is that there’s WIRE in them so you can create whatever shapes you want and it stays put! You have the freedom here to get creative.. maybe even weave it through a side braid..?! Plus you can choose all sorts of different fabrics and do a variety of thicknesses and lengths! I’ve already made 3:).

Here’s how you do it:

Step 1: Gather materials needed – Floral wire, Fabric, and basic sewing tools.

Step 2: Cut a strip of fabric wide enough to fold in half (can be as thick as you want!) but make sure it’s long enough to go around your head once or twice with some extra on the ends. I liked making mine super long.

Step 3: Fold right sides together and iron flat.

Step 4: Sew together the long way. psst.. you don’t need a sewing machine to do this – it just goes faster that way!

Step 5: Attach a safety pin to one side but only through one side of the fabric. Then feed the pin through the tube to make it right-side out.

Step 6: Take your wire and bend one end into a loop.

Step 7: Feed the wire through the fabric tube.

Step 8: This part is a little tricky because you want the wire loop to stay put at the ends. Hold the wire loop at the end while sewing the fabric shut and make sure you put stitches thru the wire loop too. So now the ends of the wire will stay put. Then just repeat on the other end and you are done!

Have fun with it and let me know if you try it!
Braided Headband
Quote :
http://www.maryjanesandgaloshes.com/2010/09/braided-headband-tutorial.html
Braided Headband Tutorial
It's chilly outside here today and I'm loving it! I enjoyed every minute of reaching into the closet and pulling out soft cozy blankets, snuggling up on the couch with my blanket and laptop to check my e-mail this morning... Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of temps below 40 degrees, but a high of 65, I'll take it!

Anyway.... on with the tutorial. Here is what we are making today!
What you need-
Thick hair tie
Six 1" strips of fabric
Bulldog clip or safety pin
Sewing machine (or needle and thread)
Fabric tac

I ripped my fabric strips so they were a bit frayed on the edges, personal choice. Clip three strips together and braid. Did I mention this is going to be really easy! Your braids should be about 6 inches short of going around your head.

Tack each end of the braid just enough that it doesn't come undone .
Then tack both braids together on each end, be careful not to twist the braids.
Cut your hair tie so it's one strip of elastic.
Sandwich your elastic ends between the ends of your braids on each end, again, careful not to twist the braids.
Sew over the elastic so that it's secure. With a scrap of your fabric, wrap the ends of the braids for a finished look. I used fabric tac for this.
Your done!
Enjoy!
Double Sided Fabric Headband
Quote :
http://www.happytogethercreates.com/2011/07/double-sided-fabric-headband-pattern.html
Doublesided Headband Headband on

What you need:
-Download the pattern from here {there's a 1 inch line on it to make sure it's printed the correct size for you}
-Fabric for the headband and elastic cover
-5.5 inches of 1/2" or 3/4" elastic (this can be adjusted if needed)

Notes:
-Always back stitch at the beginning and end of sewing, unless otherwise stated.
-Seam allowances are 1/4" unless otherwise stated.

1. Once you print out your pattern, cut the pattern pieces out.

2. Cut out two pieces for the headband, making sure the pattern piece is on the fabric fold.

3. Cut out two pieces for the elastic cover (if you make your elastic piece longer, increase the length of these pieces as well). Again, make sure the pattern piece is on the fabric fold.

4. Cut your piece of elastic to be 5.5" long.

5. Place the a headband fabric piece and elastic cover fabric piece down, right sides facing up. Then place the second pieces on top of them, right sides facing down. Make sure to match up the sides and pin together.

6. Sew down the sides of the headband and the elastic cover.

7. Turn each piece right side out. I do this by attaching a long piece of yarn to a safety pin.

Then I slide the safety pin through the what needs to be turned and then pin one side of the end.

Tuck in the end that has the safety pin a little and then pull the yarn on the other end and it will be right side out.

8. I use a long stick to push out the seams from the inside and then iron, but you can just iron each piece if you like. I just don't like the fabric overlapping on the sides too much.

9. Now take the elastic cover piece and sew down each long side. This creates a middle casing for the elastic.

10. Add a safety pin to the end of the elastic and start to slide the elastic through the elastic cover. Make sure to stop before the end without the safety pin is inside.

11. Once the side without the safety pin is at the opening, sew it in place so it won't go anywhere.

12. Continue to push the safety pin through the casing until the other end of the elastic is at the other edge. Sew that in place as well.

13. On each end of the headband piece, turn in some so no raw edges are showing.

14. Slip in the elastic band until the place where you sewed is no longer visible and sew in place.

15. Repeat #14 on the other side.

16. Top stitch the sides of the headband part if desired (I sew closer to the edge than 1/4").

They are simple to make and if you plan it well you can whip up a bunch at the same time assembly line style like. Then you have a bunch for yourself or gifts for the ladies in your life Smile
5 Strand Braided Headband
Quote :
http://www.makeit-loveit.com/2011/06/repurposing-tshirts-into-5-strand-braided-headbands.htm
First, find some old t-shirts. Or buy some jersey knit. Either way works.

Then, cut your fabric into long strips. I made my strips about twice as long as the measurement around my (or my daughter’s) head. The thick headband strips are about 2 inches wide and the narrow headband strips are about a 1/3 inch wide. You’ll need 5 long strips for one headband.

Next, stack your 5 strips on top of each other and sew together at one end. (Or hand stitch them or glue them.)

Now, pull on each strip of fabric so that they kind of curl on the edges.

Then lay your strips with the sewn edge up at the top (tape this down if that will help you while braiding) and then split up the strips into 3 on the left side and 2 strips on the right.

Now, to create this 5 strand braid……..you’ll kind of be braiding on the left side and then braiding on the right. And then back and forth until you’re done.

But let me explain a little better.

First, you’ll work on the left side. So grab the strip all the way on the left (pic #1) and cross if over the strip right next to it on the right(pic #2). Then grab the strip furthest to the right of this section (pic #3) and cross it over one strip to the left (pic #4). Now grab the middle of all 5 strips (pic #5) and bring it over the the right side (pic #6) so that you can start braiding on the right side. Now you have your strips separated into 2 strips on the left and 3 strips on the right……. but opposite from the beginning.

Now, you’re going to do the same thing on the right side………just mirrored from what we did the first time. So grab the strip all the way on the right (pic #1) and cross if over the strip right next to it on the left (pic #2). Then grab the strip furthest to the left of this section (pic #3) and cross it over one strip to the right (pic #4). Now grab the middle of all 5 strips (pic #5) and bring it over the the left side (pic #6) so that you can start braiding on the left side again.

**Something to remember: When you’re working on the left side or on the right side……..you’ll always start with the strip on the outside. So if you’re working on the left side……grab the strip all the way on the outside on the left. If you’re working on braiding on the right side…….start with the strip all the way on the outside on the right.

So, start again from the very beginning and work on the left side again (pics #1-5) and then on the right side again (pics #6-10).

You’ll need to adjust the tightness as you go and may have to tighten individual strips here or there.

Keep on braiding and braiding……keeping the tension about the same all the way down.

When you get to the end (or as long as you need it)……..sew (or hand-stitch or glue) the ends in place.

Then overlap the ends together and sew (or glue) in place.

**Before attaching, remember that knit will stretch and the woven design allows for stretch. So you want to make this headband smaller than your head so that it hugs your head and stays in place.

To finish it off (and cover up the ends), cut a rectangular piece of fabric that’s wider than the ends that you’ll need to cover. Fold the side edges in…….

And then stitch (or glue) one end on the inside of the headband.

Then wrap this piece of fabric around the headband, tuck the ends up……

And then stitch (or glue) this end down too.

And that’s it.
Knotted Headband Tutorial
Quote :
http://youseriouslymadethat.blogspot.com/2011/02/knotted-headband.html
The Knotted Headband Tutorial

Difficulty: Medium
Time: 30 minutes
Cost: Under $10
Fun-ness: Why would I do a boring project?

Materials:
Yarn (100% cotton for a crisp look, acrylic for a softer look)
Size H or J hook
Ribbon (approximately 1/2 inch wide)
Hot Glue Gun

Directions

Step 1: Creating the Chains
Crochet 2 separate chains of the same color. One should be approximately 160 chains long (the short one). The other should be approximately 300 chains long (the long one). Fold both chains into thirds, and then fold each chain in half (like a rainbow). Play with the ends until they are about even.

Step 2: Tying your knot
This is a little hard to explain, so I've made picture directions...

Step 3: Prepping the strands:
Hot glue each of the individual strands to one another in a row. Once they are secure, chop off the uneven ends with scissors, leaving a nice straight end. Do this to the other side as well.

Step 4: Attaching your ribbons
Cut your ribbon into 4 pieces - two 4inch strands, two 15inch strands. Glue one of the 15 inch strands onto the end of your crocheted headband. Wrap the strand with one of the 4 inch pieces, hot gluing as you go; this will give it a finished look. Repeat on the other side. Once done, melt the ribbon ends with a stove burner (or lighter) to keep from fraying.

And that's it!
Back to top Go down
https://hydracave.forumotion.com
Astraea

Astraea

Number of posts : 2738
Favorite Quote : Beware the deadly donkey falling from the sky You may choose the way you live, my friend But not the way you die
Registration date : 2007-08-11

HeadBands Empty
PostSubject: Ear Warmer Headbands   HeadBands EmptySun Nov 18, 2012 3:05 am

http://prudentbaby.com/2010/12/baby-kid/adorable-diy-ear-warmers-2/

Adorable DIY Ear Warmers

With autumn here and winter right around the corner, it is the perfect time to make these easy ear warmers! These are so fun and quick to make, you may want to make four…like I did! All it takes is an old wool sweater or 1/4 yard of fleece, scissors, thread, and a sewing machine. Pretty simple. For this one I used an old wool sweater that got ruined in the wash and became semi-felted.

For this one I added some pleats up the side and added some flowers.

For this one I used a sleeve off an old thermal knit shirt.

And this one is fleece with a matching knit fabric sewn over it and a nice pretty recycled knit bow.

You’re so excited now right? And can’t you see some cute mini-ear warmers for your tot? You could totally make a boy version too. Check out the full Ear Warmer DIY after the jump, and also visit Delia over at Delia Creates for a lot of other amazing tutes!

And remember to leave Delia a comment, because this week’s favorite commenter wins those gorgeous embroidery patterns pictured up on the left!

DIY Ear Warmers

The idea is pretty simple. You start with a piece of felted wool or fleece cut to these measurements:

Taper the ends to an ending width of about 1 1/2 inches wide.

Add pleats if you so desire. Go here for more information on that.

Fold the sides under and sew.

Add a button hole and a button at the ends.

My button hole skills need work but as you can see I just make a rectangle with a zig zag stitch and then cut a slit in the middle of that rectangle.

Embellish to your hearts delight.

For this wool ear warmer I cut randomly shaped flowers, stacked them, and then placed them cascading to one side.

I simply hand sewed each stack of flowers right through the center and pulled it tight so the flowers would pucker up a bit.

I used the same technique for the other two flowered ear warmers; but also added a few extra hidden stitches to the thermal knit one to hold the large flower in place so it wouldn’t flop around.

The bow is done similarly but with a lot of hidden hand sewn stitches at the back of the bow. I made about 10 doubled up stitches at the back of this one. I would just do one stitch, go through twice or more, knot it off and then move onto the next one.

All done.

These are a great gift…I myself, am making some for family this Christmas…and they very inexpensive. If you can’t recycle an old sweater for free, you can purchase the fleece for about $1 since you will only need at the most 1/4 yard. Got to love that.

First off, this is an adorable DIY right? And second off, could Miss Delia herself be any cuter?? I love this! Let her know what you think in the comments! it will make her feel good, and it could also win you this week’s surprise prize!
Back to top Go down
https://hydracave.forumotion.com

HeadBands
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Potpourri Americana :: Creative Endeavors :: Crafts :: Sewing-
Jump to: