Potpourri Americana
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Potpourri Americana

I don't have a printer, so I print what I want to print here.
A collection of my personal bookmarks

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Snow Man Pizza

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Astraea

Astraea

Number of posts : 2738
Favorite Quote : Beware the deadly donkey falling from the sky You may choose the way you live, my friend But not the way you die
Registration date : 2007-08-11

Snow Man Pizza Empty
PostSubject: Snow Man Pizza   Snow Man Pizza EmptyWed Nov 21, 2012 4:01 am

http://deliacreates.blogspot.com/2011/01/snowman-pizza-and-dough-recipe.html
Well...why not a snowman for January? I have also done a jack-o-lantern for Halloween, and a heart for Valentine's Day. With pizza the possibilities are endless.

I got a few requests for my pizza dough recipe, so I thought now was a good time to share.

It is from The America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook, with my own tweaks.

BASIC PIZZA DOUGH

Makes: 2 large pizzas, 3 medium pizzas

Ingredients:
4 c. bread flour {I have used all purpose and wheat before. Bread flour yields the best results. If you want wheat in there I wouldn't do more than 1 c. wheat and the rest bread flour}
1 envelope instant yeast - 2 1/4 tsp. {I use the big bag of Fleischmann's you can buy in bulk at Sam's and just store it in the fridge}
1 1/2 tsp. salt
2 TBSP olive oil
1 3/4 c. water, very warm

The cookbook lists two mixing methods, the food processor method and the hand mixing method. I don't have a real food processor...just a mini food chopper...so these are directions for a Kitchen Aid mixer, which the cookbook doesn't actually give instructions for. I just adapted the hand mixing method...Anyway...I will stop babbling. Let's get started.

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 500 degrees.

2. Add the flour, salt, and yeast to the mixer and start it on low, using the dough hook.

3. Add the oil.

Note: I measure and add the oil while I let the tap run on hot so it can warm up.

4. Then add the warm, almost hot water.

5. Let the mixer run for a couple of minutes while the dough comes together. Then turn the mixer up to medium or medium-low and let it knead the dough for 8-10 minutes. I like to see how fast I can clean up the counters and dishes, put ingredients away, and prep the pans during this time.

6. Prep your pans: Spray them with spray oil. Optional: Then lightly dust with some corn meal. The original recipe doesn't call for this, but I like to.

7. Stop the mixer and let it rest for a few minutes. Now I'm going to give you two methods to follow next. The first one is the one the book recommends. The second one is my preferred method.

1) You can transfer it to an oiled bowl and let it rise for about an hour - until doubled. Punch it down and divide it into 2 to 3 even balls, depending on how many pizzas you want to make and how big you want them. Let the dough rest for 30 minutes more at room temperature. Then roll out the dough and proceed with making your pizzas.

-OR-

2) You can do what I often end up doing...since I sometimes don't leave myself enough time to do all that was listed in the first method. You can just roll the dough out right away and proceed with the rest of the steps.

Either way it tastes good.

The first way actually makes a lighter, and sometimes puffier crust...at least for me. My pizza doesn't end up looking like the cookbook picture. Maybe because I use a non-preheated cookie sheet and not a pre-heated pizza stone? I just know that I have made this pizza both ways probably at least a dozen times each and it is always turns out a bit puffy and light when I do it the first way.

The second way makes a little bit crisper, chewier crust. I like the second way's taste and texture better AND I don't have to fuss with the rising and resting bit. It's win-win for me.

8. Now...roll out the dough and place it on your prepared pans.

I use a combination of a rolling pin and just stretching it with my hands.Use a little bit of flour if you need to, to keep the dough from sticking to the counter and your hands. Most of the time my dough doesn't need it though.

9. Add your sauce, cheese, and toppings. We used ranch dressing this time around. Soooo...yummy.

10. Bake on a cookie sheet at 500 degrees for 10-15 minutes.

I slide them in and wait until they start smelling pretty good. Then I check every couple of minutes until they look done.

You know when it's done when all the cheese is melted with little bits almost burnt, and the crust is golden brown.
Like this.

So I listed a lot of steps to be thorough, but it is pretty easy.

Have a warm, wonderful, weekend everyone!
Back to top Go down
https://hydracave.forumotion.com

Snow Man Pizza
Page 1 of 1