Potpourri Americana
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Potpourri Americana

I don't have a printer, so I print what I want to print here.
A collection of my personal bookmarks

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Elderberry Pancakes

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Astraea

Astraea

Number of posts : 2738
Favorite Quote : Beware the deadly donkey falling from the sky You may choose the way you live, my friend But not the way you die
Registration date : 2007-08-11

Elderberry Pancakes Empty
PostSubject: Elderberry Pancakes   Elderberry Pancakes EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 6:35 am

http://www.motherearthliving.com/cooking-methods/elderberries-elderflower-pancakes.aspx

These pancakes make a delectable light lunch or dinner. They fall into a category of foods called mehlspeisen—main-dish meals in which flour is a primary ingredient. Other examples include kaiserschmarrn, a souffléd pancake served with a fruit compote, and dampfknoedeln, a steamed dumpling sometimes served with vanilla sauce or butter, sugar and poppy seeds. If you have an abundant supply of elderflowers, you can make a double batch of these pancakes and freeze the extras. To reheat, bring to room temperature, then heat in a 350-degree oven until hot, about 5 minutes.

• 4 to 6 clusters elderflowers per person
• Pancake batter
• 1 teaspoon or more light-flavored vegetable oil

1. Be sure elder flowers are fresh and white, not brown. Rinse and clean them, discarding any discolored blossoms, woody stems or leaves. Wrap flowers in a towel to absorb excess water while you prepare a pancake batter.

2. Make your favorite pancake batter. [I use one from Irma Rombauer’s Joy of Cooking (The Bobbs-Merril Company, 1985).]

3. Heat a teaspoon of oil in a large frying pan. (Follow the cooking directions for your batter; some recipes require low cooking temperatures, others are higher.) Test a drop or two of batter in the oil to make sure the pan is hot enough; the batter should sizzle when it hits the oil.

4. Holding an elderflower cluster by its main stem, dip it into batter then place it in the frying pan. Don’t crowd the pan—pancakes should not touch their neighbors! Fry until bottom is golden brown (lift gently with a spatula to check). Flip and fry until second side is golden.

5. Drain cakes on paper towels. To make additional batches, add a bit more oil to the pan; keep cooked cakes warm in an oven until ready to serve. Serve with syrup or elderberry jelly.
Back to top Go down
https://hydracave.forumotion.com
Astraea

Astraea

Number of posts : 2738
Favorite Quote : Beware the deadly donkey falling from the sky You may choose the way you live, my friend But not the way you die
Registration date : 2007-08-11

Elderberry Pancakes Empty
PostSubject: Elderflower Syrup   Elderberry Pancakes EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 6:37 am

http://www.motherearthliving.com/cooking-methods/elderberries-elderflower-syrup.aspx

Makes about 3 pints

For a delicious elixir any time of the year, add 2 tablespoons of this syrup to a champagne glass, then fill with prosecco or Sekt. For a refreshing non-alcoholic drink, pour several spoonfuls of the syrup (to taste) into a tall glass and fill with sparkling water.

• Elderflowers (enough to loosely fill a half-gallon jar), rinsed and cleaned
• 2 lemons, washed and sliced
• 4 1⁄8 cups water
• 5½ cups sugar
• 1 packet (5 grams) citric acid

1. Stuff flowers and lemon slices into a large glass container with a lid. You should have enough flowers to almost fill the jar.

2. Make syrup: In a 2-quart saucepan, bring water to a boil, then add sugar and boil several minutes. Remove pan from heat, let cool; stir in citric acid.

3. Pour syrup over flowers and lemon slices. Close jar and let it sit in a sunny spot for two or three days.

4. Remove flowers and lemon slices, but first squeeze out their flavored syrup. Bottle the syrup in clean glass jars with tight lids. Store in refrigerator.
Back to top Go down
https://hydracave.forumotion.com

Elderberry Pancakes
Page 1 of 1