Potpourri Americana
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Potpourri Americana

I don't have a printer, so I print what I want to print here.
A collection of my personal bookmarks

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Inside-Out Sweet Potatoes

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Astraea

Astraea

Number of posts : 2738
Favorite Quote : Beware the deadly donkey falling from the sky You may choose the way you live, my friend But not the way you die
Registration date : 2007-08-11

Inside-Out Sweet Potatoes Empty
PostSubject: Inside-Out Sweet Potatoes   Inside-Out Sweet Potatoes EmptyThu Mar 10, 2011 4:17 pm

Irresistible to children once they find out there is a marshmallow inside, and a guilty pleasure for adults once they become privy to the same secret.
Serves 8
1 cup crushed cornflakes
1 large egg
6 sweet potatoes, baked and mashed (see Notes)
4 tablespoons (1⁄2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1⁄3 cup packed dark brown sugar
1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1⁄4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
Pinch of ground cloves
1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon unbleached
all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon orange juice
1 tablespoon sherry, Bourbon, or vanilla extract
8 large marshmallows
Canola oil, for frying

Preheat oven to 200º F.

Put the cornflake crumbs in a shallow dish or pie pan. Beat the egg with 1 teaspoon water in a small bowl. Set aside.

Combine the mashed sweet potatoes with the butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, baking powder, flour, orange juice, and sherry. Working with your hands, use the mixture to encase each marshmallow, forming a ball. Dip each ball in the egg wash and then roll in the crumbs. Refrigerate while preparing to fry.

Set a wire rack over newspaper or paper towels to cool and drain the balls after frying.

In a 2-quart saucepan, heat the oil over medium-high heat to 375º F.

Fry the balls one or two at a time for 3 to 4 minutes, turning as needed, until lightly browned. Remove with a spider or slotted spoon, and place the drained balls on the prepared rack and in the oven to keep warm while frying the remaining batches. Serve warm.

Martha’s Notes:
• To make mashed sweet potatoes, preheat the oven to 375ºF. Place the sweet potatoes on a baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes, or until tender and easily pierced with the tip of a sharp knife. Allow to cool in their jackets. When cool enough to handle, halve them, scoop out the flesh, and mash it with a fork or potato masher.
• If the sweet potato mixture seems too soft
to hold its shape, stir in some of the crumbs to thicken it.
• You can form these ahead of time and roll them in the crumbs right before frying. They can be baked if you really want to, but are better fried, like most things. Bake on a baking mat or parchment, if you do.
• Marshmallows are named for the wild plant that lent its roots to the first marshmallow confections. Most marshmallows today are made with gelatin or gum arabic.
Back to top Go down
https://hydracave.forumotion.com

Page 1 of 1