Potpourri Americana
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Potpourri Americana

I don't have a printer, so I print what I want to print here.
A collection of my personal bookmarks

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Flour Tortilla

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Astraea

Astraea

Number of posts : 2738
Favorite Quote : Beware the deadly donkey falling from the sky You may choose the way you live, my friend But not the way you die
Registration date : 2007-08-11

Flour Tortilla Empty
PostSubject: Flour Tortilla   Flour Tortilla EmptyFri Jun 17, 2011 11:55 pm

Flour Tortillas
2 1/2 c. flour
1 t. baking powder
1 tsp. Kosher salt
1/4 c. shortening (you can use lard)
1 c. very hot water
Combine dry ingredients and mix well. Add shortening and cut in until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Mix in HOT water. The water needs to be hot enought to melt the shortening but not too hot or it will be gooey. Mix well until thoroughly combined like dough. Divide into balls (You will get between 8 & 12) depending on how big you make them. Preheat a heavy skillet to medium-low heat. Roll balls into tortilla shape without adding more flour. If you need you can spray your area where you are rolling. Try to maintain as much of a circle shape as possible. Place rolling pin in middle of flattened dough ball and roll to desired thickness, shaping as you go, and keeping edges smooth and even.

Put tortilla on preheated skillet. The first one is the hardest. You want the dough to puff up into bubbles but not for them to pop and burn. You'll know when you do it. Adjust heat accordingly. When they really start to puff up, turn on cook on the other side for about 45 seconds or so till they are done. You don't want it to be too dark because it will be crispy when it cools and we want soft and flexible. Stack them in a pile as you cook them to keep warm. They can be also be reheated if necessary. So good when they are fresh off the griddle.

For a fun snack, cut the tortillas in wedges, using your pizza cutter. Place on a baking sheet and spray or brush with oil. Sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar (to dip in cut up, sweetened fresh fruit) or sprinkle with your favorite spices to dip in salsa or ther dips. Bake at 350º for 8-10 minutes till they start to curl and crisp up.
Back to top Go down
https://hydracave.forumotion.com

Flour Tortilla
Page 1 of 1