Potpourri Americana
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Potpourri Americana

I don't have a printer, so I print what I want to print here.
A collection of my personal bookmarks

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Homemade Cheese

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Astraea

Astraea

Number of posts : 2738
Favorite Quote : Beware the deadly donkey falling from the sky You may choose the way you live, my friend But not the way you die
Registration date : 2007-08-11

Homemade Cheese Empty
PostSubject: Homemade Cheese   Homemade Cheese EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 6:33 pm

from preparedness365.com blog (May 2011)

Buttermilk Cheese
Yields: 6-ounces of cheese
1 quart whole milk
1 ½ cup low-fat buttermilk
2 t. kosher salt
Line a colander or a medium strainer with three layers of cheesecloth and set in sink. Combine ingredients in a large heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat and cook until mixture reaches about 180º and separates into white curds and translucent whey, about 8 minutes. Ladle contents into prepared colander and drain completely. Gather corners of cheesecloth together and gently twist to press out excess whey. Serve immediately, or cool to room temperature before serving, about 10 minutes. For firmer cheese, transfer cheese, still in the cloth, to a small flat-bottomed covered bowl and chill in refrigerator until cool, about 10 minutes. Unwrap and gently invert onto plate. Cover again with lid or plastic wrap and chill until serving. And toppings if you wish. Cheese will keep for up to 2 days.

Home Made Farmer's Cheese
My friend Christine gave me this recipe years ago. She has been making this cheese forever and learned how to make it from her Grandmother. This is not a cheese that you make and store; it must be eaten in a few days. You can use it in your baking (It melts well) or as a soft cheese for snacking. Makes about 1 pound of cheese.
1 gallon whole milk
1 pinch salt
1 large lemon, juiced
Pour milk into a large kettle; add salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring regularly to prevent the milk from scorching on the bottom. When milk begins to get small bubbles around the edges and starts to boil, turn off the burner. Stir lemon juice into the milk; the milk will curdle. It may take a few minutes. Line a colander with a cheese cloth, and pour the milk through the cloth to catch the curds. What is left in the cheesecloth is the cheese. The liquid that you are pouring off is the whey. If you wish to save the whey to drink or use in your cooking or baking, put colander over a large pot to catch the whey (the liquid you are straining out). Gather the cloth around the cheese, and squeeze out as much of the whey as you can. After it is drained, wrap the cheese in plastic, or place in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator. At this point you can “doctor” up the cheese anyway you wish. Try adding finely chopped jalapenos, ground salami, chopped peppers or just leave it plain.
Back to top Go down
https://hydracave.forumotion.com
Astraea

Astraea

Number of posts : 2738
Favorite Quote : Beware the deadly donkey falling from the sky You may choose the way you live, my friend But not the way you die
Registration date : 2007-08-11

Homemade Cheese Empty
PostSubject: Cheese Making   Homemade Cheese EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 5:46 pm

[Only admins are allowed to see this link]

Go to site to link to these cheese making recipes
How To Make Cheese: Cheese Making Recipes

Cheese Making Videos

Make Cream Cheese / Neufchatel

Make Parmesan and Romano Cheese

How To Make Dessert Cheese

Make Feta Cheese

Make Queso Fresco / Queso Blanco