Potpourri Americana
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Potpourri Americana

I don't have a printer, so I print what I want to print here.
A collection of my personal bookmarks

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Dog Raincoat

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Astraea

Astraea

Number of posts : 2738
Favorite Quote : Beware the deadly donkey falling from the sky You may choose the way you live, my friend But not the way you die
Registration date : 2007-08-11

Dog Raincoat Empty
PostSubject: Dog Raincoat   Dog Raincoat EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 8:37 pm

http://www.readymade.com/projects/15_minute_dog_raincoat

Skill Level Moderate
Active Time Less than an hour
Cost $

Materials
Umbrella
Thread
Velcro

Tools
Razor blade
Sewing machine
Measuring tape
Scissors

1 Cut the fabric off of the umbrella frame. Taryn Zychal has made a tutorial of how to do this.

2 Iron umbrella on low heat. Low heat! Low heat! I made the mistake of doing it on high heat first go around. Oy. Do not drink and sew.

3 Fold umbrella into quarters and iron again. Make sure the velcro strap piece used for closing the umbrella falls on the curve of the fold, not inside.

4 Cut out this shape. I eyeballed it based on my dog’s body--anything in this general shape should do the job. There’s plenty of room for failure here. There’s always another old umbrella out there to be found.

To insure a decent fit, measure your dog at the widest part of his chest and divide by two. Add one or two inches to that number (to allow for some overlap). This is measurement A. Measurement B corresponds to the length from your dog’s neck to his tail. Measurement C is the distance all the way around the dog’s neck, divided by four.

Again, make sure you’ve folded the umbrella so that the velcro strap is in the excess area, not in the coat area you’re cutting out. Don’t discard this piece. Use a seam ripper or small scissors to snip it free from the umbrella.

5 With right sides facing each other, sew around the entire edge of the coat, leaving a quarter-inch seam. The only part you are not going to sew closed is the hole that was formerly the very top of the umbrella (See the star in the previous photo).

6 Snip out triangles at each corner, and at three inch intervals along the curve. This will keep the seams from bunching up when you turn everything right side out.

7 Reach through the hole that you left and turn the entire thing inside out. Iron again. Low heat low heat! At the opening you left, turn the fabric into itself leaving about a half-inch hem, and iron it flat.

8 Step eight: Top stitch around the entire perimeter coat leaving a quarter-inch allowance.

9 Attach extra strength velcro on the end of the straps--on one side, it should be on the top of the coat, on the other it should be on the underside. Attach regular strength velcro to the underside of the coat close to the neck one one side. On the corresponding place on the other side, sew the closure strap. Depending on the size of your umbrella and the size of your dog, you might need to extend the length of the strap using a scrap piece of umbrella fabric or by sewing two straps together end-to-end.

10 Finished! Let it rain!
Back to top Go down
https://hydracave.forumotion.com
Astraea

Astraea

Number of posts : 2738
Favorite Quote : Beware the deadly donkey falling from the sky You may choose the way you live, my friend But not the way you die
Registration date : 2007-08-11

Dog Raincoat Empty
PostSubject: Taryn's Video   Dog Raincoat EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 8:39 pm

Back to top Go down
https://hydracave.forumotion.com

Dog Raincoat
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Potpourri Americana :: At the Homefront :: Pets-
Jump to: