Potpourri Americana
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Potpourri Americana

I don't have a printer, so I print what I want to print here.
A collection of my personal bookmarks

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Coffee Cake

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Astraea

Astraea

Number of posts : 2738
Favorite Quote : Beware the deadly donkey falling from the sky You may choose the way you live, my friend But not the way you die
Registration date : 2007-08-11

Coffee Cake Empty
PostSubject: Coffee Cake   Coffee Cake EmptyThu Jan 12, 2012 12:20 am

Cinnamon Streusel http://www.marthastewart.com/337805/cinnamon-streusel-coffee-cake?center=276958&gallery=275554&slide=337805

Streusel, derived from an Old German word that means "something strewn," is quick and easy to toss together. The topping adds a sweet crunch to the sour cream cake. A basic glaze dresses up the dessert.

For the banana-coconut variation, substitute walnuts for pecans. Add 1 1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3) and 3/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut to batter at the end of step 4.
Expand
Martha Stewart Living, March 2011

Prep Time 25 minutes
Total Time 1 hour, 55 minutes
Yield Serves 12
Ingredients

For the streusel topping and center:
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup packed light-brown sugar
1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
Coarse salt
1 1/2 sticks cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped toasted pecans
For the cake:
1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pan
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Coarse salt
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 cup sour cream
For the glaze:
1 cup confectioners' sugar
2 tablespoons whole milk

Directions

Make the streusel topping: Mix together flour, 3/4 cup brown sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and 1 teaspoon salt. Cut in butter using a pastry cutter or rub in with your fingers until small to medium clumps form. Mix in 1/2 cup pecans. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Make the streusel center: Mix together remaining 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, and 1 cup pecans.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Make the cake: Butter a 9-inch tube pan with a removable bottom. Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, and 1/2 teaspoon salt into a bowl.
Beat butter and granulated sugar with a mixer on medium speed until pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, then vanilla. Beat in flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with sour cream, beginning and ending with flour. Continue to beat until well combined.
Spoon half the batter into pan. Sprinkle streusel center mixture evenly over batter. Top with remaining batter, and spread evenly using an offset spatula. Sprinkle streusel topping mixture evenly over batter.
Bake until cake is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 55 minutes. Transfer pan to a wire rack, and let cool completely. Remove cake from pan, and transfer to parchment.
Make the glaze: Mix together confectioners' sugar and milk. Drizzle over cake, and let drip down sides. Let set for 5 minutes before serving.

Cook's Note

Coffee cake can be stored at room temperature for up to 5 days.
Back to top Go down
https://hydracave.forumotion.com
Astraea

Astraea

Favorite Quote : Beware the deadly donkey falling from the sky You may choose the way you live, my friend But not the way you die

Coffee Cake Empty
PostSubject: Lemon Blueberry Coffee Cake   Coffee Cake EmptyThu Jan 12, 2012 12:27 am

http://www.marthastewart.com/339656/glazed-lemon-blueberry-cake
Yield Serves 10 to 12

Ingredients

1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for baking pan
2 cups granulated sugar
4 large eggs, room temperature
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
2 1/2 tablespoons freshly grated lemon zest, (3 large lemons)
2 1/2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice, (2 lemons)
1 cup fresh blueberries
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice, (4 lemons)
3 tablespoons freshly grated lemon zest, (3 lemons)

Directions

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.with the rack in the center. Butter a 10-inch tube pan; set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition, and scraping down the sides of the bowl.
Sift together flour, baking soda, and salt into a medium bowl. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture in three additions, alternating with buttermilk, and beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Stir in lemon zest and juice. Gently fold in blueberries.
Pour batter into prepared pan, smoothing the top with a rubber spatula. Bake until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean and the cake has begun to pull away from the sides of the pan, about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Transfer the pan to a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, prepare the glaze: In a small bowl, whisk together confectioners' sugar, lemon juice, and lemon zest until smooth; set aside.
Invert the cake onto a rack. Prick the surface numerous times with a toothpick. Brush the glaze over the surface of the warm cake, and cool to room temperature. Store wrapped in plastic for up to 2 days at room temperature.

Back to top Go down
Astraea

Astraea

Coffee Cake Empty
PostSubject: Cup of Coffee Cake   Coffee Cake EmptySun Jun 03, 2012 6:46 am

http://prudentbaby.com/2011/10/entertaining-food/a-cup-of-coffee-cake-in-under-five-minutes-2/

A Cup of Coffee Cake (in Under Five Minutes)

I don’t love chocolate. BLASPHEMY I KNOW! It just doesn’t do it for me, what can I say? I do, however, love me some cinammon. And some crumbles. And some crumb-topping,if you will. Can I get a what what? Is anyone with me?

But okay, I don’t always feel like making a giant coffee cake and eating it for three days straight until it’s gone. No, wait, that’s a lie. I do want to do that, but it’s really for the best if I can just make a single-serve coffee cake. Reduces temptation, right?

So I messed around with ingredients, a measuring spoon, and a microwave, to see if I could create a crumbly, cinnamony coffee cake in a cup that could be made in a microwave in about five minutes at 11 p.m. while i watched The Notebook for the 5,000th time (hey girl, don’t even try to pretend you don’t love Ryan Gosling, I won’t hear it). I think I’ve come up with a decent substitute for coffee cake, considering the small amount of time and effort that goes into it. Give it a try and tell me if you disagree. But again, don’t try to disagree with me about Ryan Gosling.

Get my five minute cup-of-coffee-cake recipe after the jump…

How to Make Five Minute Microwave Coffee Cake in a Coffee Cup

Well, first you’ll need a cup. If you want it to puff up over the top of the cup, use a small one. Or if you want to dig into the cup, use a big one. It matters not.

Add a tablespoon of butter.

Soften it in the microwave for 10-15 seconds. Don’t melt, just soften.

Stir in 2 tablespoons of sugar until it’s fluffy and creamy, maybe 30 seconds.

Now you can add some egg. you don’t have to, but without egg it’s more crumbly and less cake-y. You can do a whole egg, but I like to break the egg into a ramekin and stir it up, then split it between two cups of coffee cake, or just use half for one coffee cake. But really, play it by ear. Try it out and see what tastes best to you.

Then stir in 2 tablespoons of sour cream and a few drops of vanilla. We’re talking droplets here, don’t add too much.

Stir in 1/4 cup of flour and 1/8 teaspoon baking poweder.

If you want some crumb topping (you know you do), in a separate ramekin or bowl add 1 tablespoon butter, 2 tablespoons flour, 1 tablespoon of brown sugar, and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon.

Smoosh it together with your fingers for a few.

Now back to your cup. Your ingredients are all mixed up, so…

Add the crumb topping mixture to the cup…

Then microwave it. Start with 1 minute, then do 10 seconds more until it’s done to your liking. For my microwave, a minute 20 seconds does it perfectly.

It will be REALLY HOT when you take it out of the microwave.

Let it cool down for a few seconds, then dig in.

This is basically a start for a quick microwave coffee cake in a cup recipe, you can adjust to your own tastes and liking, since this is a serving for one after all. I like it just like this, but my husband doesn’t mind it without the egg. You may want more of this or less of that to suit your tastes. I look forward to hearing any adjustments you make and finding out if cake in a cup seems worth it to you. Ok, now i’m hungry, off to find my measuring spoon and a clean cup.

Now, if you don’t have the ingredients or want to try something even faster, check out our 2-Minute French Toast in a Cup and get your munchie on.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Coffee Cake Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coffee Cake   Coffee Cake Empty

Back to top Go down

Coffee Cake
Page 1 of 1