Potpourri Americana
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Potpourri Americana

I don't have a printer, so I print what I want to print here.
A collection of my personal bookmarks

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

3 Day Brown Sugar Gravlax

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Astraea

Astraea

Number of posts : 2738
Favorite Quote : Beware the deadly donkey falling from the sky You may choose the way you live, my friend But not the way you die
Registration date : 2007-08-11

3 Day Brown Sugar  Gravlax Empty
PostSubject: 3 Day Brown Sugar Gravlax   3 Day Brown Sugar  Gravlax EmptyThu Jan 12, 2012 2:11 am

http://www.marthastewart.com/314788/brown-sugar-gravlax?center=276958&gallery=275554&slide=258214

This recipe can be halved or quartered to cure a smaller amount of fish. Plan ahead; gravlax takes 3 days to cure.
Martha Stewart Living, February 1999

Yield Makes about 6 pounds

Add to Shopping List
Ingredients

1 pound coarse salt
1 pound packed dark-brown sugar
2 tablespoons whole white peppercorns, cracked
2 bunches fresh dill, roughly chopped
Juice of 2 lemons
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 1/2 tablespoons brandy
1/4 cup whiskey, preferably Jack Daniel's
2 sides of salmon (3 pounds each), cleaned and skin on

Directions

In a medium bowl, combine the salt, brown sugar, peppercorns, and dill to make the dry cure. In a small bowl, combine lemon juice, oil, brandy, and whiskey; stir.
Lay salmon, skin-sides down, on a clean, dry surface. Brush liquid mixture generously over fish. Pack dry cure evenly over fillets; wrap tightly with two layers of plastic wrap.
Place one piece of fish, skin-side down, in a pan large enough to accommodate the fish. Place the other piece of fish, skin-side up, on top of the first. Place a cutting board on top of the fish, and weigh down board with soup cans or bricks. Chill 24 hours.
Remove weights, unwrap fish, and drain liquid. Wrap fish again tightly in two fresh layers of plastic, reversing position of top and bottom pieces. Place weights on top; return to refrigerator. Chill 24 hours more.
Repeat step four.
Unwrap the salmon, and scrape off the dry cure. Slice the salmon on the bias as thinly as possible, and serve. The gravlax can be stored, wrapped in plastic, in the refrigerator up to 3 days.

Back to top Go down
https://hydracave.forumotion.com

3 Day Brown Sugar Gravlax
Page 1 of 1