Potpourri Americana
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Potpourri Americana

I don't have a printer, so I print what I want to print here.
A collection of my personal bookmarks

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Frittata for one

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Astraea

Astraea

Number of posts : 2738
Favorite Quote : Beware the deadly donkey falling from the sky You may choose the way you live, my friend But not the way you die
Registration date : 2007-08-11

Frittata for one Empty
PostSubject: Frittata for one   Frittata for one EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 1:03 am

http://lunchinabox.net/2006/06/29/fritatta-laptop-lunch/
Mini-frittata recipe (serves 1)

1/2 small zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced
1 large sausage, halved lengthwise and sliced
1 Tb vegetable oil
3 eggs
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
freshly ground black pepper
1 Tb aji amarillo puree (Peruvian yellow chiles — not that hot) (optional)

In a bowl, mix together the eggs, Parmesan cheese, pepper, and aji amarillo puree (and any herbs you want to use). Set aside.
Turn on your broiler (or salamander) with the oven rack in the top position.
In an 8″ nonstick mini-frypan, heat the vegetable oil on medium-high heat. Add the zucchini and sausage (or whatever other fillings you’d like to use), and saute until slightly brown and the zucchini is cooked through. I added a 1/4 cup of water and covered for a couple of minutes to speed the zucchini cooking, then removed the lid and cooked the water off.
Reduce heat to medium, and add the egg mixture to the pan. Stir with a rubber spatula until large curds have formed, then stop stirring and reduce heat slightly.
When it looks like the bottom has set up (about 1 minute later), put the frypan under the broiler until the top is puffy and turns a golden brown.
Remove from heat and let it sit for 3-5 minutes off heat. Residual heat will continue cooking the eggs and help the egg release from the pan.
Use the rubber spatula to gently release the frittata from the pan. Turn out on a cutting board and cut into wedges with a sharp knife. Trim the wedges as necessary to fit them into your lunch container. EAT!
Back to top Go down
https://hydracave.forumotion.com
Astraea

Astraea

Number of posts : 2738
Favorite Quote : Beware the deadly donkey falling from the sky You may choose the way you live, my friend But not the way you die
Registration date : 2007-08-11

Frittata for one Empty
PostSubject: Mini Frattata speed bento with ketchup onigiris   Frittata for one EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 10:07 pm

http://lunchinabox.net/2007/02/27/speed-bento-stovetop-mini-frittata/

To make the mini frittata, I beat one egg and added a little chopped ham, a couple tablespoons of frozen vegetables (green peas and corn, in this case), 1 Tb Parmesan cheese, 1 Tb of milk or cream, and salt/pepper to taste. I then took two foil baking/cooking cups, put one inside the other for better support when cooking, and placed the empty cups in the nonstick mini frying pan (sprayed with vegetable oil) on medium-low heat. I spooned the egg mixture into the foil cups (making two little “frittatas”), added the ketchup onigiris, and covered the frying pan. The egg needs to cook for 4-5 minutes, and I flipped the ketchup onigiris once. (EDIT: You may want to run the frittatas in the frying pan under the broiler at the very end so that the top cooks but the bottom is not over-cooked.)

The ketchup onigiris were a little delicate, so I tried to avoid moving them around much (but they were a big hit with my son, who devoured them). He also liked the little frittata, although I wanted a little extra flavor with them, so I packed along a little Lizano sauce for mine. There’s no reason you need to stick with these particular ingredients, though — next time I may substitute chicken for the ham, add some chopped herbs, and use whatever veggies (including cooked leftovers) I have on hand. This dish was interesting to me because it used refrigerator and freezer staples (frozen peas & corn), so even if I didn’t have fresh veggies on hand I could throw together something nutritious and homemade in a hurry.

My husband often nukes himself a mixed egg in a greased ramekin for a quickie breakfast, so I was curious to see if I could make a version of the quick frittata in the microwave as well. The verdict is yes, but I think the stovetop version has a nicer texture and rise. I ladled the egg mixture into cupcake liners set inside ramekins (I greased one set of liners with vegetable oil spray, and didn’t grease another). Then I heated the two ramekins (uncovered) in our 1100W microwave on 80% power for 1.5 minutes (your time will vary depending upon the power of your microwave and how many ramekins you’re nuking). I think I prefer not greasing the cupcake liner as the frittata then sticks to the liner for easy packing, but if you don’t want to include the liner in your bento you could cook it in the greased liner.

To prepare the ketchup yaki onigiri, I stirred together 3/4 cup fresh warm rice, 1 tsp butter, and just under 1 Tb ketchup and formed them into tiny, palm-sized round onigiri in my hands (make sure they’re firmly shaped, not loose — otherwise they’ll fall apart when cooking).
Back to top Go down
https://hydracave.forumotion.com

Frittata for one
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Potpourri Americana :: Creative Endeavors :: Recipes :: Brunch-
Jump to: