Potpourri Americana
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Potpourri Americana

I don't have a printer, so I print what I want to print here.
A collection of my personal bookmarks

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Greek Lasagna - Pastitsio

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Astraea

Astraea

Number of posts : 2738
Favorite Quote : Beware the deadly donkey falling from the sky You may choose the way you live, my friend But not the way you die
Registration date : 2007-08-11

Greek Lasagna - Pastitsio Empty
PostSubject: Greek Lasagna - Pastitsio   Greek Lasagna - Pastitsio EmptySat May 19, 2012 7:57 pm

[Only admins are allowed to see this link]

Pastitsio (Greek Lasagna)
Ingredients

1 pack Bucatini Pasta
2/3 pound Chopped Veal
2-3 medium Tomatoes grated
1 1/2 cup Kasseri Cheese grated
1/2 cup Greek Olive Oil
1/2 cup White Wine
1 medium Red Onion finely chopped
4 tbsp Bread Crumbs
1 Egg
2 Egg Yolks
2 Egg Whites
1 Cinnamon Stick
1/2 cup Water
A Pinch of Salt and Pepper
medium size deep baking pan
For the bechamel sauce:
4 cups Milk lukewarm
5 tbsp Salted Margarine
5 tbsp All Purpose Flour
pinch Ground Nutmeg
To garnish:
Parsley finely chopped
Dill finely chopped
Kasseri Cheese flakes

Directions

Drain them, put them back in the pot and add the remaining olive oil, 1/2 cup of the kasseri, egg, egg whites and stir to combine.

We will now get the béchamel ready: In a pot we melt the margarine, add flour and sauté while stirring for 2-3 minutes, until golden. While stirring, pour in the milk, add the nutmeg and continue stirring, until thickened. Add 1/4 of béchamel sauce to meat mixture, 1/4 to pasta, cover the lasagna with the rest.

In a hot pot sauté the onion, while stirring, until caramelized. Add half of the olive oil and when hot stir to sauté the chopped veal, until it turns white.

Deglaze with the wine and allow reduction.

Then we add the tomatoes, cinnamon stick, water, salt and pepper to taste and simmer, until all the liquids are absorbed. Remove pot from the heat, sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of the breadcrumbs and stir to combine.

In the meantime put the pasta in a pot with boiling water, stir and boil for 8 minutes, until soft.

Remove the pot from the heat, add the egg yolks, 1-2 tablespoons of the kasseri and mix to combine.

Preheat the oven at 350 degrees F.

Brush the baking pan with olive oil and sprinkle with the remaining breadcrumbs. Add 2/3 of the pasta mixture and lay it evenly. Sprinkle with 2-3 tablespoons of the kasseri and lay on top the chopped meat mixture. Sprinkle with 2-3 more tablespoons of the kasseri and lay on top the remaining pasta.

Cut in pieces and serve garnished with dill, parsley and kasseri flakes.

Cover them with the béchamel sauce and sprinkle with the remaining kasseri. Bake in the preheated oven for about 40-45 minutes, until golden brown.
Back to top Go down
https://hydracave.forumotion.com
Astraea

Astraea

Favorite Quote : Beware the deadly donkey falling from the sky You may choose the way you live, my friend But not the way you die

PostSubject: Re: Greek Lasagna - Pastitsio   Greek Lasagna - Pastitsio EmptySat May 19, 2012 10:33 pm

Notes and additions/adaptions

Bechamel Sauce
Make a bechamel sauce add salt, pepper and nutmeg, then set aside.

Meat Layer
Saute onions in olive oil until carmelized, add garlic, then ground meat. Cook until almost browned, then add wine to deglaze the pan and reduce. Add tomato, cinnamon clove, broth, salt and pepper until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat and add a scoop or two of bechamel, (opt add breadcrumbs) stir and set aside.

Pasta Layer
Boil pasta in milk and drain. Add some greek yogurt, a couple spoonfuls of bechamel, eggs (5 whites, 2 yolks), and cheese, stirring after each, then add a spoonful of the meat.

Putting it together
Place parchment on the bottom of baking dish, then lightly spread the bottom with a little of the meat mixture. Next add pasta, followed by the meat, then top with the bechamel and roughly spread it across, and sprinkle a soft greek cheese on top. Bake in preheated oven at 375 for 40 minutes.

[Only admins are allowed to see this link]

Last edited by Astraea on Sun May 20, 2012 12:51 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : to add link to a video)
Back to top Go down
Astraea

Astraea

PostSubject: Re: Greek Lasagna - Pastitsio   Greek Lasagna - Pastitsio EmptySat May 19, 2012 10:34 pm

Back to top Go down
Astraea

Astraea

PostSubject: Re: Greek Lasagna - Pastitsio   Greek Lasagna - Pastitsio EmptySat May 19, 2012 10:57 pm

Back to top Go down
Astraea

Astraea

PostSubject: Re: Greek Lasagna - Pastitsio   Greek Lasagna - Pastitsio EmptySun May 20, 2012 12:19 am

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Greek Lasagna - Pastitsio   Greek Lasagna - Pastitsio Empty

Back to top Go down

Greek Lasagna - Pastitsio
Page 1 of 1