Potpourri Americana
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Potpourri Americana

I don't have a printer, so I print what I want to print here.
A collection of my personal bookmarks

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Refried Beans

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Astraea

Astraea

Number of posts : 2738
Favorite Quote : Beware the deadly donkey falling from the sky You may choose the way you live, my friend But not the way you die
Registration date : 2007-08-11

Refried Beans Empty
PostSubject: Refried Beans   Refried Beans EmptySun Jun 03, 2012 1:38 am

http://tastykitchen.com/blog/2012/02/homemade-refried-beans/

Homemade refried beans: you won’t ever go back to the canned stuff!

Ingredients

2-½ cups Dry Pinto Beans
3 quarts Water
1 Onion, Chopped
½ Tablespoons Red Pepper Flakes, Or More To Taste
½ Tablespoons Paprika
2 Tablespoons Light Brown Sugar
4 Tablespoons Salt, Or As Needed

Preparation Instructions

1. If possible, soak pinto beans overnight. This will cut down your cooking time a lot. If not, it’s okay. Instructions are the same as below.
2. Rinse the beans to get off any dirt.
3. Add the beans to a pot and cover with the water. Make sure there is at least 3-4 inches of water above the beans. Cook the beans for 2 1/2 hours, about 1 1/2 hours for pre-soaked beans.
4. Once the beans are cooked, reserve 1 cup of the water, then drain the rest. Set aside.
5. In a skillet, saute the onions, red pepper flakes, paprika, and brown sugar for about 5 minutes. Add this to the pot where the beans are and add the reserved cup of water.
6. Using an immersion blender, lightly blend the beans until they’re the consistency you want. If you don’t have an immersion blender, you can use a pastry blender (like I did). It gives a coarser consistency than the immersion blender since it’s harder to get every bean.
7. Season with salt as needed. Keep tasting it occasionally. This is also where you can add more red pepper flakes if desired.
8. Serve immediately.

Back to top Go down
https://hydracave.forumotion.com
Astraea

Astraea

Favorite Quote : Beware the deadly donkey falling from the sky You may choose the way you live, my friend But not the way you die

Refried Beans Empty
PostSubject: Slow Cooker Refried Beans   Refried Beans EmptyTue Jul 24, 2012 7:18 am

http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/2011/08/29/recipe-easy-slow-cooker-refried-beans/

Recipe: Easy Slow Cooker Refried Beans
By Lisa, on August 29th, 2011

Slow Cooker Refried Beans

I think I might be a little late getting on this bandwagon, but refried beans with melted cheese on a warm homemade whole-wheat tortilla is the bomb! Oh and don’t forget to top it with a little sour cream. I seriously cannot believe I am just figuring out how good this combination is. The reason why though is because I didn’t think I liked refried beans. That’s what happens when you only try them out of a can. But much like the difference between store-bought and homegrown tomatoes…homemade refried beans are light-years beyond the canned stuff! And with this super easy recipe below there is no excuse not to make them yourself.

I am even going to pull out a bullet point list to tell you all the reasons why I like this recipe so much:

- Beans in general are super cheap and a good source of protein
- You don’t have to soak these dried beans overnight (which I often forget to do)
- They are sooo easy to make you could even do it with one hand tied behind your back Smile
- You can freeze the leftovers for another day
- And for me, since I don’t normally love beans for textural reasons, this mashed up version is the perfect way to make them extra good
Print This Recipe

Easy Slow Cooker Refried Beans
Adapted from allrecipes.com
Ingredients

1 onion, peeled and halved
2 cups dry pinto beans, rinsed
½ fresh jalapeno or other hot pepper, seeded and chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
¾ teaspoons salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
One big pinch of cumin
6 cups water

Directions

Combine all ingredients in slow cooker.
Cook on high for 8 hours or overnight while you are sleeping.
Remove the bigger onion chunks and drain the excess liquid. If desired, save excess liquid until the final product is desired consistency.
Mash remaining beans with a potato masher and voila! You have homemade refried beans.

Back to top Go down
Astraea

Astraea

Refried Beans Empty
PostSubject: Homemade Refriend Beans   Refried Beans EmptyThu Nov 22, 2012 8:59 pm

http://www.tammysrecipes.com/homemade_refried_beans

Description:

Pinto beans, onions, and garlic are cooked together, then seasoned and re-cooked for a delicious mexican refried beans
Yield:

6 cups
Ingredients:

1 1/4 cups dried pinto beans, soaked overnight in enough water to cover
7 1/2 cups water
2 onions, peeled and cut in half
10 cloves garlic, peeled
2 Tablespoons butter
2 onions, finely chopped
2 teaspoons ground cumin*
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon chili powder
small bunch of fresh cilantro, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
salt
2 ounces feta cheese
fresh cilantro, for garnish
Instructions:

1. Drain pinto beans, and rinse and drain again. Heat water in large pot until boiling. Add soaked beans, two halved onions, and ten whole garlic cloves. Return to boiling and simmer, uncovered, for about 90 minutes, or until beans are very soft and water is almost all absorbed.

2. Melt butter in large skillet or stock pot. Add the two chopped onions, the cumin, ground coriander, and chili powder. Cook until onions are soft and translucent, about 15-20 minutes, adding water if needed to prevent scorching.

3. Stir in fresh cilantro, and the three remaining garlic cloves. Start adding beans, a spoonful at a time, frying for a couple minutes and mashing with a fork or potato masher as you add them. Continue until all beans have been added.

4. Lower heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until beans have thickened to consistency desired, about 30-40 minutes. Season with salt and ladle into serving dishes, topping with feta cheese and fresh cilantro for garnish.**
Homemade refried beans, served with tomato and feta cheese
Additional Notes:

*I like to use freshly ground cumin!

**Or, skip the feta cheese and cilantro at the end, and use in a recipe that calls for canned refried beans.
Preparation Time:

5-10 minutes
Cooking Time:

2-3 hours
Tammy's Review:

This is a simple and authentic homemade refried beans recipe. If you've only ever had canned refried beans, you will find that these are much more flavorful, as well as "softer" and not so thick and dense and... solid. Joshua, who dislikes canned refried beans, actually liked these much better. I loved them. They were fun to make, too. My rating: 10/10
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Refried Beans Empty
PostSubject: Re: Refried Beans   Refried Beans Empty

Back to top Go down

Refried Beans
Page 1 of 1