Potpourri Americana
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Potpourri Americana

I don't have a printer, so I print what I want to print here.
A collection of my personal bookmarks

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Grapefruit Basil Sorbet

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Astraea

Astraea

Number of posts : 2738
Favorite Quote : Beware the deadly donkey falling from the sky You may choose the way you live, my friend But not the way you die
Registration date : 2007-08-11

Grapefruit Basil Sorbet Empty
PostSubject: Grapefruit Basil Sorbet   Grapefruit Basil Sorbet EmptyMon Jun 11, 2012 1:06 pm

http://aspicyperspective.com/2011/01/resolution-revelation.html

Blog-worthy meals generally equal EXTRA curves–especially after the holidays. So I’ve vowed to “cleanse my system” with health-concious meals over the next fews weeks…and pick up my hefty workouts where I left off in early December. My health-nut friends would be so proud!

My sweet hubby got me a new ice cream machine for Christmas. (Apparently he likes extra curves!) Our old machine bit the dust last spring and I managed to make it through the summer and fall without one! We decided to give it a spin starting with a light lemon sorbet. Only, there were just 2 lemons in the fridge–not nearly enough for sorbet. Instead we used freshly squeezed grapefruit juice, and HOLY HEAVEN, was it good! Dare I say BETTER than plain lemon sorbet?

This delightfully addictive sorbet offers a slightly bitter and tart bite, balanced by fresh sweet basil leaves. It makes your tongue dance a little jig! It’s so lovely, I would consider giving up chocolate for this sorbet! (Please don’t hold me to that.)

Bring the water and sugar to a boil in a small saucepan. Once boiling add the lemon zest, basil leaves and salt. Stir, remove from heat, and cover. Steep the basil leaves in the simple syrup for at least 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, add the lemon juice to a 4-cup measuring pitcher. Juice the grapefruits into the pitcher until you’ve measured 3 cups of combined juices.
Strain the simple syrup and discard the basil leaves. Then mix the syrup with the juice. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours (or to speed up, put in the freezer for 1 hour.)

Pour the sorbet mixture into an electric ice cream maker. Turn on and mix for 20+ minutes, until the mixture reaches a “soft serve” consistency.

Eat the sorbet immediately, or put in an airtight container and freeze.
After frozen, allow the sorbet to sit out for 10-15 minutes to soften before serving.
Makes approximately 1 ½ quarts of heaven!
*If you don’t own an ice cream machine, you could freeze the mixture and shave it with a spoon for “Italian Ice.”

Recipe: Grapefruit Basil Sorbet

Fat Free * Gluten Free * Dairy Free
Ingredients

2 cups water
1 ¾ cups sugar
2 lemons, zested and juiced
1 packed cup of basil leaves
pinch of salt
4 large ruby red grapefruits, juiced

Instructions

1. Bring the water and sugar to a boil in a small saucepan. Once boiling add the lemon zest, basil leaves and salt. Stir, remove from heat, and cover. Steep the basil leaves in the simple syrup for at least 20 minutes.
  2. Meanwhile, add the lemon juice to a 4-cup measuring pitcher. Juice the grapefruits into the pitcher until you’ve measured 3 cups of combined juices.
  3. Strain the simple syrup and discard the basil leaves. Then mix the syrup with the juice. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours (or to speed up, put in the freezer for 1 hour.)
  4. Pour the sorbet mixture into an electric ice cream maker. Turn on and mix for 20+ minutes, until the mixture reaches a “soft serve” consistency.
  5. Eat the sorbet immediately, or put in an airtight container and freeze.
  6. After frozen, allow the sorbet to sit out for 10-15 minutes to soften before serving.

Preparation time: 35minute(s) active time
Cooking time: 20 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 1 ½ quarts of heaven!*If you don’t own an ice cream machine, you could freeze the mixture and shave it with a spoon for “Italian Ice.”
Back to top Go down
https://hydracave.forumotion.com

Grapefruit Basil Sorbet
Page 1 of 1