Potpourri Americana
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Potpourri Americana

I don't have a printer, so I print what I want to print here.
A collection of my personal bookmarks

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Doggie Treats

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Astraea

Astraea

Number of posts : 2738
Favorite Quote : Beware the deadly donkey falling from the sky You may choose the way you live, my friend But not the way you die
Registration date : 2007-08-11

Doggie Treats Empty
PostSubject: Doggie Treats   Doggie Treats EmptyMon Jun 11, 2012 2:43 pm

http://www.curbly.com/users/capreek/posts/13538-how-to-make-your-own-diy-dog-treats

How To: Make Your Own DIY Dog Treats!
By: Capreek Mar 16, 2012

created at: 03/15/2012

I'm known around these parts as "the crazy Schnauzer lady", but in truth, I'm crazy about ALL dogs... and think they deserve some tasty, homemade treats every now and then! This simple, two-ingredient recipe can be customized like nobody's business, so get creative and have a little fun (while pampering your pooch)!

I originally made these treats for Wrigley's first birthday (yes, I celebrated it. Re: crazy dog lady; see above), and have made a ton of variations since. The basic recipe is as follows:

Ingredients:

2 cups 100% organic whole wheat flour (or wheat germ, or spelt, or rolled oats, or a mixture of these, etc.)
2 (4oz) jars of pureed baby food - beef, blueberry, sweet potato, chicken - whatever. Just make sure there are no onions/onion powder in it*. Avoid any with artificial preservatives (should be easy, most are just pureed veggies and water).

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350°.

2. Mix together to form a stiff dough. If necessary, add extra flour or water as needed.

3. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to about a 1/4 inch thick. Use cookie cutters to cut into desired shape or a pizza cutter to make cubes.

4. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, place treats about 1/2 inch apart. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes. Allow to cool completely before storing in a paper bag (storing in an air-tight container will make them soft, but they're still edible).

Easy, right? Now this is where you can get creative! Consider including grated carrots or sweet potatoes, a little bit of parsley (which supposedly helps with bad breath), blueberries, or some of that homemade peanut butter!

How will you customize these treats for your pooch? Do you have any other homemade dog treat recipes? Share them in the comments!

*Onions are toxic to dogs! (So is chocolate, grapes and raisins----see the is it safe to eat post)
Back to top Go down
https://hydracave.forumotion.com

Doggie Treats
Page 1 of 1