Potpourri Americana
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Potpourri Americana

I don't have a printer, so I print what I want to print here.
A collection of my personal bookmarks

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Chocolate Whiskey Cake in a jar

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Astraea

Astraea

Number of posts : 2738
Favorite Quote : Beware the deadly donkey falling from the sky You may choose the way you live, my friend But not the way you die
Registration date : 2007-08-11

Chocolate Whiskey Cake in a jar Empty
PostSubject: Chocolate Whiskey Cake in a jar   Chocolate Whiskey Cake in a jar EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 9:18 pm

http://blogs.babble.com/family-kitchen/2011/04/14/whiskey-in-a-jar-chocolate-cake/

The jar cake is an idea originally conceived, as I understand it, as a way to store home-baked cakes for shipment to loved ones in the armed forces overseas. My grandfather was an army veteran, but at the moment I don’t have any family members or close friends in active duty overseas. One of my grandfather’s fondest memories was his first deployment in Greenland at the age of 14. (He didn’t have a birth certificate so his mom lied about his age to get him enlisted.) He told me they gave them shots of whiskey to keep warm on Greenland’s frigid nights. So when I think army, I always associate it with whiskey.

This cake is the perfect pairing of chocolate and whiskey. It’s an ooey, gooey, very moist cake. That’s because it is a flourless cake, and it’s also gluten free. If you’ve never had flourless cake before, it’s a mushy, fudgy, cake-like decadence with a paper thin crispy crust. I added a simple buttercream frosting spiked with a little more whiskey for the frosting, but you can omit it, it’s plenty delicious on it’s own.

Whiskey in a Jar (Flourless) Chocolate Cake

Ingredients
1 stick butter
8 oz chocolate pieces (chopped fine) or small chips, semi-sweet
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
4 eggs
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup Tennessee whiskey, I used Jack Daniels
nonstick spray

Frosting
4 oz shortening
4 oz softened butter
1 lb powdered sugar
2 tablespoons milk or whiskey

Method

1. In a double boiler, or in the microwave, melt butter and chocolate together. Stir well. Let cool.

2. Add butter and chocolate to a large mixing bowl with sugars. Mix until well combined. Add whiskey and mix well. Add eggs, one at a time, until incorporated. Mix well. Add salt, baking soda and baking powder. Mix very well. .

3. Pour into 4 pint jars that have been sprayed well with non-stick spray. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 – 40 minutes, or until cakes pass the toothpick test. (And they have risen and fell)

For frosting:

1. Cream softened butter and shortening in stand mixer with wire attachment.

2. Add sugar. Mix on low until combined. Turn mixer to high. Add a little of the milk or whiskey at a time, until icing is light and fluffy.

3. Refrigerate until ready to use.

Makes 4 large servings

Note: All the whiskey does NOT cook out of the cake, so it is NOT kiddie-friendly.
Back to top Go down
https://hydracave.forumotion.com

Chocolate Whiskey Cake in a jar
Page 1 of 1