Potpourri Americana
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Potpourri Americana

I don't have a printer, so I print what I want to print here.
A collection of my personal bookmarks

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Lip Balm

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Astraea

Astraea

Number of posts : 2738
Favorite Quote : Beware the deadly donkey falling from the sky You may choose the way you live, my friend But not the way you die
Registration date : 2007-08-11

Lip Balm Empty
PostSubject: Lip Balm   Lip Balm EmptyMon Jul 30, 2012 6:44 pm

Homemade Natural Lip Balm
(from a pin I found at Pinterest from Cheeky Kitchen)
(click on ingredients to purchase from Amazon)

3 tablespoons Coconut Oil
3 tablespoon Shea Butter
3 tablespoons Cocoa Butter
3 tablespoons Beeswax

~If you want color, add a bit of your favorite lipstick to the mix.
~If you want flavor, add a bit of candy flavoring to the mix.

Put all ingredients into a pan. Melt on low. Spoon into containers. Let set. It takes just minutes, depending on the size of your container, to set up.

I found all the ingredients at one of our local health food stores.
I found our containers at Hobby Lobby.
I found the candy flavoring at Walmart, but I am sure they have it at Hobby Lobby, too.

The containers were found in the art supply section of Hobby Lobby. I was super excited to find the little square containers, but super disappointed when we brought them home. I didn't realize they were stackables, so we only had 4 lids because I bought 2 packages, there were 2 stacks in each package. That was disappointing, since I thought I was getting about 12 containers with 12 lids. Instead, we have a bunch of leftover, empty containers that stack. Grr.

I am SUPER pleased with how it turned out. I can't stand paying what health food stores charge for natural lip balm, so I love that I can make it myself.

My girls really got into this and kept saying what a fun project it was. Next time, I will order some containers online, like these, Lip Balm Container with Snap Lid 6 Count, and I will skip the flavoring/coloring. The cocoa butter/coconut oil gives such a nice scent, and I like the idea of keeping it super natural. Also, by keeping it natural, you can talk the man in your life out of his yucky Chapstick an into this awesome Natural Lip Balm, minus the girly embellishment on top, of course.

This recipe made quite a bit of lip balm. It makes 12 tablespoons, so if each container contains a tablespoon, that is 12 whole containers of lip balm!

I am planning on storing the lip balm we are not using in the refrigerator. I am not sure if that is necessary, but it may help prolong the life of the lip balm since it is all natural ingredients and no preservatives.

We found cute little embellishments for the tops of our containers and used a glue gun to glue them on. You can also use stickers.
http://amy-newnostalgia.blogspot.com/2012/03/homemade-natural-lip-balm.html
Back to top Go down
https://hydracave.forumotion.com
Astraea

Astraea

Favorite Quote : Beware the deadly donkey falling from the sky You may choose the way you live, my friend But not the way you die

Lip Balm Empty
PostSubject: Lip Stain Balm   Lip Balm EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 2:08 am

http://www.howdoesshe.com/get-stained-homemade-lip-stain-balm
Get Stained! Homemade Lip Stain/Balm

May 3, 2012 by Bobbi

13 Comments

My awesome sister-in-law, Erin, is back with another awesome beauty DIY~! Let’s see what she is creating today Smile

I love making my own beauty products. It’s so simple and fun too! One of my favorites is homemade lip balm that doubles as a stain. It takes all of 1 minute to make and it’s so easy, you can do with the kids too. And can you say “frugal”? I love saving money. Okay, let’s get this staining party started!

First, get together your tools You’ll need Vaseline or Un-Petroleum Jelly, Crystal Light- I’ve used Cherry Pomegranate, though any would work as long as it’s not green or blue (we don’t want to look like corpses!) Basically pinks, reds or even purples would be great (Kool-Aid works great as well though it’s a bit more tart), a small container (hello dollar store!), and a mixing tool, I like to use a q-tip.

Now for the super simple creation process. I’m talking 1 minute tops. Let’s go!

Fill the empty small container with your Un-Petroleum Jelly.

Add your Crystal Light, I used about 1/3 of the individual packet.

Now, the really tricky part (ha ha). Mix it all together.

I know you want to slap that delicious looking stuff right on your kisser, but you need to allow this to sit for about an hour so any granules can dissolve. I know, this is the hardest part…being patient!

The color will get much more vibrant, and it will become smoother. Then, you are ready to stain those lips! Yay!

This great tasting lip balm will not only hydrate dry lips, it’ll also stain your lips softly for hours making it a great summer treat!
Back to top Go down
Astraea

Astraea

Lip Balm Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lip Balm   Lip Balm EmptyWed Sep 05, 2012 10:14 am

http://www.notmartha.org/tomake/lipbalm/

to make: adventures in lip balm

My entire do-it-yourself obsession started with lip balm. Of course Martha Stewart was involved. Ok, ready? I spotted the lip balm kit in the Martha By Mail catalog — which belonged to my mother! I swear it! After one night of obsessive deliberation (think of it! my own lip balm! wow! I won’t have to worry about losing my little sticks because I’ll be swimming in the stuff!) I ordered it. It was immediately, irrevocably back ordered. For months and months. And months. (Ask me how long the essential oils soap kit took to get me. Ask me about how it arrived a full day before I loaded up the moving truck for California.) So in that time Google and I became close friends over the words “lip balm”, lip, balm, gloss, containers, “lip gloss”… You would be surprised the number of combinations a search on Google for “lip” and anything return a significant percentage of X-Files erotic fan fiction. (Mulder and Skinner?! Come on now.)

I landed at Majestic Mountain Sage, which has the best recipe I have found so far, this one. That’s the one I use (see below for the measurements I use for a smaller batch). This one is great too, especially if you’re looking for something which doesn’t include cocoa butter (some people are allergic) as it is really more of a guideline. I have also heard people gush over the one with honey in it. But heed the part of the directions that have you stir it while it is cooling, otherwise it’ll separate like, well, like honey and oil mixed together. They sell lip balm jars, lip balm tubes, all the ingredients you’d need, even little lip balm shrink wraps! There are several other suppliers online, check the resources page.

I ordered a bunch of stuff from MMS, got some oils and such from Nature’s Bin, cleaned out an old lip balm jar and had at it. Yay! By the time the stuff from Martha arrived I was way past the “kit” stage, but the containers are nice. The recipe from included in the kit created a greasy solid. The recipe from MMS produces something a little softer and glossier which I prefer.

Small coincidence, almost all of the ingredients and containers in the Martha kit were, in fact, supplied by MMS.

That is how my do-it-yourself obsession became my do-it-without-martha’s-kits obsession.

mirror on bottom
showing the mirror glued to the bottom of one lip balm container – that’s the reflection of the camera

However, I’m still not happy with the lip balm. I don’t know what is missing, a sort of emollient, heavy, staying-power, wonder ingredient. I myself do not like my balms to be sweet, so honey is out. I have a bottle of jojoba oil that I haven’t tried out yet. As far as flavoring I prefer peppermint essential oil (I overdid the vanilla in the test runs, and still can’t quite stand it).

I present what I learned the hard way:

melting set up
set up for melting – pyrex measuring cup in about one inch of water

melting it
I bought a set of inexpensive utensils I use just for making lip balm and bath bombs, including a pyrex measuring cup I use to melt and mix the lip balm ingredients. I add a small amount of water to a shallow sauce pan, place the measure cup in it and heat on low as I add ingredients. I add the beeswax, shea butter and cocoa butter, and almond oil and let those melt. Then I add the vitamin e and the coloring and stir in well. Last I add the drops of peppermint oil right before filling the containers, because the oil will evaporate. I use a disposable droppers to fill the containers. I have read about beeswax becoming grainy if you heat it too high, too low, not long enough and too long. I have yet to get this straight. Honestly though, as long as the balm is for myself or my friends the graininess doesn’t bother me, it melts on your lips. If you are looking to make something to sell you might want to test different techniques to make sure it comes out nice and smooth.

starting to melt
the beeswax and coconut oil beginning to melt – add the color and the essential oil last

droppers
Get yourself some droppers. Pouring a hot oil solution into a tiny jar or tube is not fun. Turkey basters just won’t work here. The disposable droppers from MMS are nice because you can just toss ‘em and not worry about how to get the scent cleaned off so you can reuse it. Also, if you’re making a very small batch (my proportions follow) they can measure out in milligrams what translates poorly as 1/16th of a teaspoon. You can also find small glass droppers or larger, graduated plastic ones at a drug store. Check around the eye/ear section, or in baby medicines. Be aware however, the oils in the lip balm completely wore off the plastic numbers on my cheap baby medicine dropper. I mean, undiluted orange essential oil can take the finishing off tables… Also, if you use the droppers to fill your lip balm containers it is extremely difficult to clean the dropper afterwards, the lip balm will harden in the dropper. You can clean it while alternatively running it under very hot tap water to keep the balm in a melted state. Or forget the droppers and pour it. If you spill, let the spill harden, it’s a lot easier to clean that way.

mixing
I bought a little whisk to use, but a toothpick works as well to mix

containers
It seems like a favorite pastime on the GetCrafty boards is suggesting lip balm containers. I do not like those snap-lid pillbox types, I find they are not leak-proof, and unpleasant to open. The nice Lee Valley watchmakers tins (as seen so expensively as a wedding favor box over at Martha By Mail) do not have a secure lid, it just sits on top. The small Altoids tins are too large for my taste. I mean, you are rubbing your grubby fingers through there, I want something that has a bit more turnover. Avoid film containers, film is, you know, quite toxic. Anything too narrow and deep is likely to get on your nerves. I like the MMS style lip balm pots, low-profile lip balm pots, lib balm tubes and tins (lip balm container page). The regular pots have a indentation in the bottom deep enough to glue a 1″ circle craft mirror into, which is nice to have right there, believe me. The tins do rust, especially if you use them to store little things in your very small, very steamy bathroom. If you don’t want to buy bulk, Sunburst Bottle has no minimum (but be reasonable, they are a kind, small company and will lose money if you order only 35¢ worth of something) and carry pots, tins and tubes. Or, go to the drugstore, find a cheap lip balm in a pot, or some Bon-bons body glitter, or even a tube of store-brand lip balm (the chap-stick brand labels peel off very cleanly). Clean it out (this takes a bit of patience, and scrubbing with a nice, natural dish soap — a clean mascara wand and an old toothbrush are your friends here) really really well. Sterilize with alcohol if you like (boil at your own risk) and reuse.

get lip stick shaving for color
shaving off a little bit of pink lipstick to add some color

coloring
I admire people who strain beet juice to get a nice red color going or other nice natural things. However, a tiny sliver of cheap lipstick (Wet’N'Wild 99¢) is far easier. If you’re just going for a pastel pink, say, choose a hot pink lipstick, you’re only going to use a touch of it anyhow. Already pastel and shimmery colors don’t translate well. Don’t use food coloring. Don’t use food coloring paste. And, dear lord, don’t use pixie sticks and petroleum jelly, shame on you!

flavor
I don’t like sweet flavors. I just add a few drops of peppermint essential oil. Be aware that some citrus oils can make the area applied to photosensitive. A few places do have sweet lip balm flavorings. Before you use a wacky essential oil, check to be sure it isn’t a skin irritant. Don’t use candy flavorings (peppermint, vanilla) as these are alcohol based, and nobody wants that, now do we? Besides, it will not mix in correctly.

oils
The types of oils you choose can really feel different. Try a few out. Avoid getting oils in the cooking section of stores, oils for cooking and oils intended for body use are often prepared differently. I think olive oil is ok though. Especially if it is from a smaller producer. Most recipes call for cocoa butter, coconut oil, sweet almond oil, etc.

filling container
I use a disposable dropper to fill the containers

cocoa butter
If you use cocoa butter the lip balm is going to smell and taste faintly of chocolate. It’s not mmmmmm cho-co-late, it’s reminiscent smell. Use coconut oil instead if you want to avoid this. Coconut oil comes in several forms, sometimes smelling highly of coconut. I bought a huge jar of Spectrum Naturals coconut oil which is a solid at room temperature (but beware, will melt on hot days) and doesn’t have any scent. I prefer the feel of cocoa butter. Be aware some people are sensetive to cocoa butter, Lush made a lip balm without any for this reason.

vegan
If you are a strict vegetarian or vegan there are a number of lip balm recipes which substitute candelilla wax (pure vegetable wax). Also, Lush sells a vegan lip balm, as well as a number of yummy vegan bath products. There are several good hemp seel oil lip balms you can find in stores as well.

filled and ready to cool
containers filled and ready to cool, I stick them in the fridge for a few minutes

decorations
I tried, oh how I tried, to put little shapes in different colors in my lip balms like you can find in Target. I even have the itty bitty cookie cutters to prove it. Because of things like contraction when cooling and surface tension, these proved fruitless, and messy looking. On second thought, it worked ok, just don’t expect a perfectly smooth surface.

ease
If you’re all about the product and not about gathering bottles of oils you’ll never use again, several places, including MMS, sell a lip balm base you melt, add color and flavor, and pour into containers.

keeping it and sun issues
This lip balm will not keep forever. And it will melt in your pocket. And it will not provide any sun protection. So if you are outside get a lip product with a heavy duty sunscreen. And make sure it has uvb and uva protection (look for these ingredients: titanium dioxide, zinc oxide, avobenzone (also called parasol 1789), or Mexoryl; and read this). The vitamin e (I squeeze one or two capsules into the mixture, you can buy bottles of liquid vitamin e at a drugstore and add a few drops of that) is said to help prevent spoilage of the oils. But this stuff is meant to be used, not kept.

instructions I attached when given as a gift

instructions for use:

unscrew cap
either hold cap or place cap somewhere where you will remember you put it in five seconds
use finger (or brush for those of you who are so inclined and happen to have a brush and enough time to a. find it and b. use it) to place on lips
check self out in little mirror on the bottom!
if it doesn’t meet your lip needs (people are very picky about their lip balm, i am cool with this) may i suggest you use it as a cuticle cream?
Quote :
1 Linda // Dec 10, 2006 at 6:31 pm

I’ve had experience making lip balms, myself, and have suffered from chapped lips all my life. I think the two facts are related. Here are a couple of tips from my experience:

For those who aren’t allergic, lanolin is FANTASTIC for healing and protecting the lips. Also, a touch of glycerin softens the lips, has a slightly sweet flavor, and seems to cause the lip balm to actually soak in. The lanolin seems to stay ON longer than waxes or oils.

One thing I learned NOT to do was to put beet powder in, for color. It’s grainy and it doesn’t add color – a stupid idea born from sheer laziness that I thought I’d save someone else from doing.
Quote :
26 debra athanas // Oct 22, 2007 at 11:38 pm

Hi I have made lip balms with similar ingredients. It is (from what I read the shea butter that turns grainy not the bees wax. Copied these instructions from some shae butter sites:
Why are some Shea Butters grainy?
Shea Butter is sometimes grainy for many reasons. But the #1 reason is heat. Shea Butter will melt in the sun, by a heater or any other form of heat. When shea butter is heated at high temperatures, it becomes grainy when it cools. It can still be used. It just feels interestingly grainy.To remove the grainy texture, slowly heat the Shea Butter until it is completely melted, and cool it quickly in the refrigerator. Do not heat above what is needed to re-melt, as that can damage the Shea.
Also you can avoid scorching the oils by buying a stainless steel bowl or glass pyrex bowl that fits into your pot like a double boiler suspending it abouve the boiling water. which heats waxes and butters more evenly (no hot spots). This works for butter balm bars as well.
Quote :
Sharon // Feb 14, 2008 at 10:37 pm

To Marie (post #43): Here is a trick i use when making lipbalms that saves you from having to pour your balms into containers and waiting for them to cool before testing. Just stick a teaspoon in the freezer 1/2 hr before your balm is ready, make your balm, then take out that cold teaspoon and dip it in your balm, the coldness of the spoon will harden your balm immediately so you can slick your lips with it to test.
To Sally (post #44): Sounds like your best bet is to make liquid lip glosses with those roller ball lip tubes. All you need is a mixture of liquid oils and ingredients, no heating required. You can also add a little lipsafe mica to make them shiny.
For those who don’t want to use wax in their balms, your balms will most likely turn out more like lip butters and best put into lip pots, not tubes as your mix will be softer than most balms. If you don’t want to use beeswax because you are vegan or allergic, there are some waxes out there that are vegan friendly, such as soy, candelilla or carnauba wax. Candelilla & Carnauba are also harder than beeswax therefore you won’t need to use as much in your recipes, and will not melt as readily in the summer heat.
Candelilla wax is my favourite as it makes a wonderfully smooth lipbalm.

http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/
http://www.chemistrystore.com/
http://www.soapcrafters.com/
http://www.kangarooblue.com/
http://www.sks-bottle.com/
http://www.fromnaturewithlove.com/
http://www.frontiercoop.com/ (coop has $10 fee)

Back to top Go down
Astraea

Astraea

Lip Balm Empty
PostSubject: Homemade Lip Moisturizer   Lip Balm EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 2:00 am

http://thefrugalgreenishmama.com/2012/05/diy-homemade-natural-honey-coconut-lip-moisturizer.html

This is one thing I had on my to-do list for 2012 was to make homemade lip moisturizer. I don’t wear make-up hardly ever, although truth be told I am beginning to look like a tired almost 30-year-old (I guess I have really looked tired for a while). I do however go through a ton of lip balms and moisturizer. I have been playing around with my coconut oil I received from Tropical Traditions and tried out several different variations of recipes. I said I would share this last week but wasn’t truly happy with the results so I played some more and now have several to share!

This is one that I really like, it is super easy and so far is Austin’s favorite! You need three simple ingredients: Coconut Oil, Bee’s Wax and Honey.

I opted to use the beeswax pastilles as they are super easy to weigh and you don’t have to worry about cutting or grating and using too much. You will need either the tins to use or actual lipstick/lip balm tubes. I purchased some of both to try out. I love that the tin are super easy to fill and you don’t have to worry about spilling as it cools but it is all about preference!

This recipe makes enough to fill 6 to 7 – 1/2 oz containers depending on how full you make them.

Ingredients needed:

3 Tbls Coconut Oil
3 Tbls Honey
1 Tbls Beeswax

Using a small saucepan over low heat combine your coconut oil, honey and beeswax. Stir continually until it is all melted and combined 5-7 minutes. Remove from heat and carefully spoon into containers. I used a measuring spoon to fill my containers to ensure I didn’t spill and each container received the same amount. I put 2 1/2 teaspoons in each container.

This is what they looked like right after they were filled.

This is what they look like as the started to cool and harden. I allowed them to fully cool, about three hours before placing the lids on them. I also tried to whip the mixture after it was melted to see if it made a difference and then spoon it in. You can see from the photo below, other than looking messy I didn’t notice a bit of difference, so save yourself some work and spoon it in.

Have some cute little sticker labels made for the tops of the tins and you have some super cute little frugal yet practical homemade gifts! I have been using this since we made it and love it!

I ordered my Coconut Oil from Tropical Traditions, my beeswax pastilles from Mountain Herb Rose and used Local Honey. You can get containers also from Mountain Herb Rose (their shipping is very reasonable) or I ordered these from Specialty Bottle and the quality is good but shipping was very high.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Lip Balm Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lip Balm   Lip Balm Empty

Back to top Go down

Lip Balm
Page 1 of 1