Potpourri Americana
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Potpourri Americana

I don't have a printer, so I print what I want to print here.
A collection of my personal bookmarks

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Reed Diffuser (room freshener)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Astraea

Astraea

Number of posts : 2738
Favorite Quote : Beware the deadly donkey falling from the sky You may choose the way you live, my friend But not the way you die
Registration date : 2007-08-11

Reed Diffuser (room freshener) Empty
PostSubject: Reed Diffuser (room freshener)   Reed Diffuser (room freshener) EmptyTue Jul 31, 2012 3:05 pm

Reed diffusers are a great option, especially if you make your own. They work really well in smaller areas since they do not have a very powerful scent throw. They are quite simple to put together and pretty inexpensive plus you have the option to create your own favorite fragrant combinations.

Materials Needed:
Tall container - preferably glass to safely hold the oils
Corks
Reeds or Wooden Skewers
Carrier Oil {see below}
Essential Oils
Vodka

When looking for a reed container, make sure you use one that is made of glass or another material suitable for safely holding the oils. {plastics are not recommended as the essential oils can dissolve them} You want the opening of the container to be tapered as well, but large enough to hold the reeds. Cleaned recycled containers can always be used or I simply picked up some vases at the local dollar store.

There are many online retailers that sell reeds specifically for diffusers as the porous fibers work best. You can also get away with using skewers as they work as well. Dried stalks or branches from your garden, such as hydrangea branches can be used as well. The reeds should be at least double the height of the container you are using - and if you are using skewers be sure to snip off the sharp pointy ends.

Depending upon the opening size of the container, it is a good idea to use a cork if at all possible. You can find corks of all sizes at your local craft store. Using a drill bit simply drill completely through the center of the cork to create an opening large enough for the reeds. The cork helps prolong the oil mixture from evaporating.

There are three main ingredients used to create the diffuser oil for the container; a carrier oil, essential oils, and a flow agent.

Carrier Oils - Almond Oil, Safflower Oil, Jojoba oil or Mineral Oil work best. You can also use plain water if you can not find any of the above - though it does tend to evaporate very quickly. Using a heavier carrier oil makes the fragrance slow to diffuse - as a thinner base will travel into the reeds a lot quicker.

Essential Oils - Essential oils are highly concentrated and derived from true plants. An essential oil is basically the liquid distilled from the leaves, bark, roots or other elements of the natural plant. Essential oils are not the same as fragrance oils or perfumes and can usually be found in the health section of local health stores. There are many different scents available so mix it up and have fun creating a fragrance that best suits your taste.

Flow Agent - Inexpensive Vodka works as a flow agent to help the oils be absorbed by the reeds and disperse better. If using water, it also help to bind the oils.

The general mixture for the diffuser oil is 1/4 cup of carrier oil, 12 drops of essential oil, and 1 teaspoon of vodka. More essential oil may be added if you prefer. Extra diffuser oil can be made ahead of time and stored in a sealed glass container until ready to use.

For first time use, fill the container 3/4's of the way full and insert the reeds, soaking them for at least minutes. Then flip them upside down and replace them back in the diffuser.

Once a week swirl the oil in the container and rotate the reeds to keep the aroma going. The different ingredients in the mixture have a tendency to settle over time and an occasional swirl will help better diffuse the scents. Make sure the diffuser is placed in a room with good circulation to best throw the scent.

Once the reeds become totally saturated they lose their ability to diffuse the fragrance and need to be replaced.

I like the simplicity of a plain diffuser in my own home, though the container can be embellished to fit in with any decor. Some simple ideas using scraps include ribbon rosettes, fabric ruffles or added vinyl.

http://www.bystephanielynn.com/2011/09/make-your-own-aromatic-reed-diffusers.html
Back to top Go down
https://hydracave.forumotion.com

Reed Diffuser (room freshener)
Page 1 of 1