Potpourri Americana
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Potpourri Americana

I don't have a printer, so I print what I want to print here.
A collection of my personal bookmarks

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

How to be an Optimist

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Astraea

Astraea

Number of posts : 2738
Favorite Quote : Beware the deadly donkey falling from the sky You may choose the way you live, my friend But not the way you die
Registration date : 2007-08-11

How to be an Optimist Empty
PostSubject: How to be an Optimist   How to be an Optimist EmptyTue Oct 16, 2012 6:37 am

http://www.mommywithselectivememory.com/2012/09/6-ways-to-teach-your-kids-to-be-optimist.html
  1. She Helped me Develop a Sense of humor: We always found something to laugh about, and as quickly as possible. This helped me realize not to take myself too seriously, which came in very handy during my early parenting years with severe sleep deprivation.
  2. She Taught Me to Play the Happy Game: Sometimes people just find themselves in a crummy mood. That's why they say someone "woke up on the wrong side of the bed." You have to consciously think about things that make you feel happy so you can stop feeling so down. Make a list of everything you appreciate in life, or simply things that make you happy. The good will quickly outweigh the bad. Keep it simple with things like, "Finding a good book to read, Waking up to see sunshine, getting to sleep in 30 minutes later than usual, when a stranger smiles at you, etc."
  3. She Taught Me the Importance of Getting Plenty of sleep. Help your kids understand that they really should go to bed because they will happier and healthier for it. It may take 15 years for this to sink in, but I was one of the few college students in bed by 10:00 every night and that was the peak of my optimistic years. It's hard to be upbeat if you don't get enough sleep.
  4. What's the worst-case scenario? I remember when I would get a B when I thought I deserved an A. For some reason, I thought it was literally the end of the world and I remember being so angry. But then my Mom made me realize that it wasn't going to prevent me from getting into a good college or getting a good job one day. The worst-case scenario is a slightly lower overall GPA so when you look at it like that, it's easier to stomach disappointment and move on.
  5. This too shall pass. This was my grandpa's favorite saying and it's very true. No matter how many friends are mad at you or how upset you are that you missed the last shot to win the game, within a few weeks, all will be forgotten and there will be a new drama. This too shall pass. I said it constantly to myself when my kids were waking up every 15 minutes. At age 9 months. And it did pass, Thank God!
  6. Appreciate good moments when you find them. When you do find yourself sitting outside on a beautiful day, take a moment to breathe deeply and appreciate the moment. If someone does something nice for you, take the time to realize how lucky you are to have someone in your life who cares about you. These are the moments that will carry you through when you're sad.

So, that day, I began teaching my daughter to be an Optimist. We played The Happy Game. It took my daughter almost 15 minutes to grasp it and I had to work hard not to get frustrated with her. The game went like this:

Me: "Let's play the happy game! I'll go first. It makes me happy when I wake up and see the sun shining. Your turn!"
Munchkin Girl: "Nothing makes me happy. I just want Lily!" (This is the doll she left at her grandparents)
Me: "I'm sure you'll think of something. I'll go again. It makes me happy when I get to see my kiddos laughing about something. Your turn!"
Munchkin Girl: "I still want Lily!"
Me: "Okay, I'll go again. It makes me happy when I get to hang out with my brothers. Your turn!"

It went on like this for awhile until she finally caved and started playing. By the end of the drive we were laughing and she had forgotten to whine. Of course, this one game didn't cure her for life, and I fully realize that this will be a life-long process, but she already she has started asking to play the Happy Game when we get in the car or when she's sad. And that alone makes me a very happy Mommy. [list=1][*]
Back to top Go down
https://hydracave.forumotion.com

How to be an Optimist
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Potpourri Americana :: Unsorted-
Jump to: