Potpourri Americana
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Potpourri Americana

I don't have a printer, so I print what I want to print here.
A collection of my personal bookmarks

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Camp Food Tips

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Astraea

Astraea

Number of posts : 2738
Favorite Quote : Beware the deadly donkey falling from the sky You may choose the way you live, my friend But not the way you die
Registration date : 2007-08-11

Camp Food Tips Empty
PostSubject: Camp Food Tips   Camp Food Tips EmptyThu Nov 15, 2012 10:07 pm

http://savedbysuzy.blogspot.com/2012/06/camping-tips-tricks.html

Camping Food
My best tip for food is to PLAN and PREP. Doing these things before you leave home makes camping mealtimes so much easier and more delicious. It's also key to make things that don't involve lots of clean up. The fewer pots, pans and utensils used, the better. We usually cook over the fire, but we also have a small camp stove and we usually bring our electric griddle too.
Breakfast Ideas:
Pancakes - make the batter ahead of time and put in a plastic bag. Or, buy a mix that only requires adding water for a super simple breakfast. Don't forget the syrup! Last year, the girls were bored, so they tried cooking apple slices in cinnamon and sugar on the griddle. These were delicious on the pancakes too.
Scrambled eggs and bacon can both be cooked on the griddle too. If you want to get fancy, throw this in a tortilla with cheese and salsa and you have a yummy breakfast burrito.
Omelets in a Bag - Homemade Ginger has a simple recipes for these. Basically throw some eggs and toppings in a plastic baggie, boil in a pot of water for 13 minutes, and then you have a nice breakfast!
Source: homemadeginger.com via Jeanne on Pinterest

Be sure to cut up your toppings ahead of time and have in plastic containers or bags so you don't have to do a lot of prep at the campsite.

It's always nice to have precut fruit in tupperware too. It's perfect for snacking and makes a nice light breakfast when paired with yogurt.
Source: pinnedrecipes.com via Nicky on Pinterest

I never deep fry anything, but I saw this recipe for simple scones (basically fried dough). They look delicious, especially when paired with some strawberry freezer jam! I might have to break my no-deep-fat-frying rule for these.
Source: onesweetappetite.com via Suzanne on Pinterest

Lunch/Dinner Ideas:
Tinfoil dinners - have you heard of these? I made these for the first time last year and they were delicious. Take a meat, seasonings, some veggies, potatoes, cream soup (Don't skip this! It makes a gravy and keeps everything moist.) and wrap it into a tinfoil packet. Throw the tinfoil packet on the coals to cook.

I made ours like this: thinly sliced potatoes on the bottom (these take a long time to cook, so the thinner the better); ground beef shaped into a patty seasoned with salt, pepper, and garlic; carrots and onions; and then some cream of mushroom soup. Each person gets their own individual packet, so you can personalize it to their tastes. For more ideas and detailed directions, check out One Sweet Appetite.

Source: onesweetappetite.com via Suzanne on Pinterest

Once again, these can be totally prepped at home. Get all of your packets ready and pop them in the cooler. Then you just pull them out and cook. Easy peasy.

This salmon looks like a great variation on the tinfoil dinner too.
Salmon on a bed of lemon slices wrapped in foil
Source: 3.bp.blogspot.com via Suzanne on Pinterest

Marinated Meat/Kabobs - Once again, this can be customized to your tastes. I'm planning on freezing some chicken breasts in our favorite Soy Vay teriyaki marinade. I like to freeze the mead ahead of time so then I don't have to worry about it being raw and spoiling before it's cooked. I will also have cut up veggies, such as peppers and onions and some pineapple that I prepared at home. Thread these on a skewer and cook over the fire.
Source: applevalleygirl.blogspot.com via Suzanne on Pinterest

Taco in a Bag - Cook your taco meat at home and warm it in a skillet at the campsite. Cut open the tops of Doritos or Fritos bags and put some of the seasoned meat on top of the chips, add whatever toppings you like (lettuce, cheese, salsa, tomatoes, onions, sour cream, avocado), and eat!
Source: campingwithgus.com via Suzanne on Pinterest

Quesadillas - tortillas and cheese plus whatever else you like. Cook it in a skillet over the fire.
Source: campingcafe.com via Kelly on Pinterest

Sandwiches - always good for lunch. Pack some bread, PB&J, and cold cuts and you're set.

Hot Dogs and Bratwurst - grab a stick and roast these over the fire.

Chili - Prepare at home and reheat. Chili dogs anyone?

Salads - Rather than lettuce salads which tend to wilt and get soggy, think couscous salads, bean salads, and pasta salads.
Source: applevalleygirl.blogspot.com via Kama on Pinterest

Corn on the cob - soak this in water in the husk and then just throw it on the grill, with the husk still on.

Campfire Potatoes
sliced potatoes, onions, oil herbs and cheese wrapped in foild
Source: tasteofhome.com via Kellie on Pinterest

Cut up veggies and dip - for a snack.

Treats:
Classic S'mores - need I say more? But, I've been seeing lots of variations that I want to try. Here are a few examples of desserts that can be made over the fire.
Strawberries dipped in marshmallow fluff and roasted over the fire.
Source: frostmeblog.blogspot.com via Suzanne on Pinterest

Campfire cones:
sugar cone wrapped in foil filled with cut fruit, marshmallows, and chocolate chips and grilled
Source: kidsactivitiesblog.com via Suzanne on Pinterest

Banana boats:
Banana peel sliced open and filled with chocolate chips, coconut, etc wrapped in foil and grilled
Source: lickmyspoon.com via Suzanne on Pinterest

Campfire Orange Cakes - cakes baked in an orange. I haven't tried this, but it looks interesting.

Source: foodbeast.com via Suzanne on Pinterest

Bars or cookies - prepared at home.
Back to top Go down
https://hydracave.forumotion.com

Camp Food Tips
Page 1 of 1