Potpourri Americana
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Potpourri Americana

I don't have a printer, so I print what I want to print here.
A collection of my personal bookmarks

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Borax

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Astraea

Astraea

Number of posts : 2738
Favorite Quote : Beware the deadly donkey falling from the sky You may choose the way you live, my friend But not the way you die
Registration date : 2007-08-11

Borax Empty
PostSubject: Borax   Borax EmptySun Mar 24, 2013 2:44 pm

http://www.diylife.com/2010/08/25/borax/

Readers' Wise Tips for Using Borax

by Kristine Solomon, Posted Aug 25th 2010 12:30PM

Borax, boric acid, 20 mule team20 Mule Team Borax on Facebook
Last week, we published a story on 25 Household Uses for Borax, and the response was overwhelming! So this week, we decided to follow up with new tips -- your tips -- for getting the most out of this "miracle mineral."

So, there's this stuff called Borax. You may be familiar with its full product name: 20 Mule Team Borax. Essentially, Borax is a cleaning agent derived from naturally occurring minerals -- meaning it's nontoxic and eco-friendly. Though it's known primarily as a laundry booster, its uses extend far beyond that -- from pest control and weed control to odor elimination.

We thought we knew everything about Borax...that is until you, our readers, stepped up and offered even more uses for this powdery wonder. We really had no choice but to publish 10 of your best pearls of household wisdom. Enjoy!

Nourish fruit trees with Borax. AFP/Getty Images
"If you have fruit trees, {Borax} should be added to the soil around the base of the tree every three years. Contact your arborist for amount to be used." -- John Cressy

Oriental rug stains are history. Photo: psyberartist, Flickr
"I have a hand-carved wool oriental rug in light colors. I have spilled gravy, tea and coffee on the darned thing, but always easily removed every stain using a spray solution of borax and water, then wicking the stain up with a clean towel...just like magic! " -- Bo

Borax for personal cleaning? Our readers say, all the way! Getty Images
"I have one friend who swears that Borax is the best shampoo ever; says her shines and is very soft and silky. It is, but I'm afraid to try it on my own hair!" -- Ann

"My husband has been using Borax for over 50 years as a body and face cleanser. Borax gets rid of liver spots, It clears your skin of acne and pock marks and makes your skin soft and smooth. He just started using it for washing his hair, and needless to say it makes his hair soft and manageable. He has said he wishes people would know what a great product Borax is." -- J. Sabala

Ooey, gooey Gak is delightful (and safe) for kids. Photo: Easternblot, Flickr
"I having been an elementary school teacher for 16 years. I always wow the kids by making Gak. {Editor's note: Gak is a gooey craft and science project material, along the lines of PLAY-DOH and Silly Putty, which can also be made with Borax.} When presenting the ingredients necessary for the experiment I make a big deal about the "magic matter" {that I'm making}. Kids always ask what the magic matter is. It's a wonderful way to stimulate the young mind. The magic matter? Why it's Borax." -- Dana McGrath

Crayons are no match for Borax. Photo: Getty Images
"Recipe for Getting Melted Crayon Out of Clothes:
-- 1 cup 20 Mule Team Borax
-- 1 cup white viniger
-- 2 capfuls of All Liquid 3X Ultra
-- 1 cup of Shout
-- 3/4 cup hydrogen peroxide
Fill washing machine with hot water. Add all ingredients and agitate by hand to mix. Add crayon covered clothes, agitate 5 minutes. (Soak overnight, optional). Wash clothes regularly. This saved us at least $150 to replace crayoned clothes because my 4-year-old left a purple crayon in his pocket and it went through the washer & dryer. I now check all pockets {before washing}." -- Momzilla

Borax keeps swimming pool levels in check. Photo: Getty Images
"I use Borax in my pool to raise the pH instead of paying for expensive {chemicals}! Also use regular baking soda for raising alkalinity in swimming pools instead of expensive pool store chemicals. " -- Marcia

Steer clear of plants that look like this; but if you do come in contact with poison ivy, use Borax to soothe itch. Photo: Getty Images
"Use borax to wash with if you get poison ivy oil on you! You'll never get itchy!" -- J. Perrault -Minshall

Reuse plastic bottle caps as Borax-laden bug traps. It's the eco way to go! Photo: amoose136,
"Being from the south we have Palmetto bugs. If you do a mixture of borax acid and put in water bottle caps they will all disappear. My mama LOVED her Borax!!!" -- Peggy Renee' Savant

Borax is kid-friendly. Photo: Corbis
"Love going green with borax! We made laundry detergent with 1 cup borax, 1 cup washing soda (not baking soda) , and 1 cup grated ivory soap. {Melt the soap} on {the} stove in about 3 cups of water till dissolved, then add the borax and washing soda and mix well. Add a gallon of hot water, a few drops of scented oil, {and} mix well. I store in plastic lidded 32 oz. coffee containers. It will [become] gelled. Use about 1/3 cup per load. No additives, chemicals, pollutants etc. -- and best of all, about 1 or 2 cents a load. We haven't bought detergent in 4 months." -- Fern
Back to top Go down
https://hydracave.forumotion.com

Borax
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Potpourri Americana :: Unsorted-
Jump to: