Potpourri Americana
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Potpourri Americana

I don't have a printer, so I print what I want to print here.
A collection of my personal bookmarks

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Petit Four Potato

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Astraea

Astraea

Number of posts : 2738
Favorite Quote : Beware the deadly donkey falling from the sky You may choose the way you live, my friend But not the way you die
Registration date : 2007-08-11

Petit Four Potato Empty
PostSubject: Petit Four Potato   Petit Four Potato EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 12:14 pm

http://www.sprinklebakes.com/2012/03/potato-petit-fours-for-st-patricks-day.html

Potato Petit Fours
Sponge recipe adapted from "The Chocolate Bible", various authors.
Yield: 15-20 cakes

Sponge batter:
3 egg yolks
4 egg whites
1/4 cup fine granulated sugar, divided
1/2 cup cornstarch
2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
Filling and coating:
1 1/2 cups buttercream
-or-
1 1/2 cups your choice fruit jam (raspberry or pineapple is recommended)
1 1/2 lbs. marzipan or almond paste
Cocoa powder for dusting

1. Preheat oven to 375. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

2. Place egg yolks in a bowl and beat in 1 tablespoon of the sugar. Mix until frothy and lightened; set aside.

3. Beat egg whites in a separate large bowl. Gradually add remaining sugar and beat until meringue is stiff and dry.

4. Sift corn starch over meringues and fold in with a rubber spatula. Add beaten yolks and fold again, being very careful to not deflate the batter. Finally, fold in the flour.

5. Spoon mixture into a pastry bag fitted with a large plain tip and pipe 1 1/2-inch mounds spaced well apart onto the baking sheet. Bake for 6-10 minutes with the oven door slightly cracked. When lightly brown, remove from oven and allow to cool completely.

6. Pipe buttercream between two same-sized sponge rounds. If using jam, use a sharp knife to make a small hollow in the bottoms of the cakes. Spoon in the jam and sandwich sponge rounds together.

7. Roll out marzipan or almond paste to 1/8-inch thickness -use a little confectioners' sugar to flour the work surface and rolling pin if paste sticks. Cut into squares and use to cover the potatoes. If paste doesn't stick to the cake, brush a little melted jelly over the surface (I didn't have to do this). Make a few indentations to represent "eyes". Use a fork tine to further pock-mark the potato.

8. Roll the cakes in cocoa powder. Shake off excess and place in paper liners, brown paper bags or wrap in foil to mimic a baked potato.

Note: I used a spoon to hold my oven open just a crack. If you do this, be careful! The spoon will become hot. Be sure to grab a pot holder to remove the spoon.
Back to top Go down
https://hydracave.forumotion.com

Petit Four Potato
Page 1 of 1