Potpourri Americana
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Potpourri Americana

I don't have a printer, so I print what I want to print here.
A collection of my personal bookmarks

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

BloodRoot

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Astraea

Astraea

Number of posts : 2738
Favorite Quote : Beware the deadly donkey falling from the sky You may choose the way you live, my friend But not the way you die
Registration date : 2007-08-11

BloodRoot Empty
PostSubject: BloodRoot   BloodRoot EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 12:31 am

pic: - http://altnature.com/Herbs2003/pages/bloodroot.html

http://www.altnature.com/gallery/bloodroot.htm

Bloodroot Herb Use and Medicinal Properties

Bloodroot is used in herbal medicine in very small doses, mainly for bronchial problems and severe throat infections. The root is used in many pharmaceuticals, mixed with other compounds to treat heart problems, dental applications (to inhibit plaque), and to treat migraines. Bloodroot paste is used externally for skin diseases, warts, and tumors. For ringworm apply the fluid extract. Bloodroot is said to repel insects. The root is used in as an anesthetic, cathartic, emetic, emmenagogue, expectorant, diuretic, febrifuge, sedative, stimulant and tonic.

Research is very promising for Bloodroot constituents. One is sanguinarine; it is showing results as an anesthetic, antibacterial, anti-cholinesterase, anti-edemic, anti-gingivitic, anti-inflammatory, anti-neoplastic, antioxidant, anti-periodontic, anti-plaque, antiseptic, diuretic, emetic, expectorant, fungicide, gastrocontractant, hypertensive, pesticide, respiratory stimulant and more. Another important constituent is Berberine (also found in Goldenseal, Oregon Grape and Honeysuckle) which is showing promise in fighting brain tumors and many other cancers. CAUTION Use internally with caution, it contains toxic opium-like alkaloids and can cause mucous membrane irritation, an over dose can be fatal, do not use when pregnant or lactating. Bloodroot is not edible.

Click here to visit a site where people who have used Bloodroot for skin growth share their experiences.

Bloodroot Habitat and Description

Bloodroot is a North American native perennial herb found growing in shaded, moist, rich woodlands from Quebec south to Florida and west to Kansas. Bloodroot grows to about 6 to 7 inches tall. The pale green, palmate, lobed, basal leaf is wrapped around the flower as it emerges and opens as the flowers blooms. The stem of Bloodroot is round, often orange or red when mature, it is topped by a single white flower with 8 to 12 petals and bright yellow center. The root is a thick, tender, tuber which contains a red juice that stains the skin readily. Gather root when flowers are in bloom. Dry the roots for later use or tincture fresh. Bloodroot is endangered and should be cultivated. Do not harvest from the wild.
How to Grow Bloodroot

Cultivate Bloodroot from seed or root cuttings, prefers light, sandy, moist soil, slightly acidic, shady areas. Bloodroot takes easily to cultivation in shady areas. Plants can be found from ethical cultivators. Again, do not take Bloodroot plants from the woods.

buy Bloodroot plants from Easyliving Wildflowers
Herbal Recipes

Dye: Mix 4 tbs. fresh Bloodroot juice in 1 gal. cold water, add 1 tbs. alum as mordant. This preparation will work on most material to achieve a red to orange hue. Wear gloves when handling bloodroot.
History and Folklore

Bloodroot was used as a medicinal herb extensively by the Indian Medicine Men and Women in some North American tribes. It was also a ritual skin paint, or war paint, and used as dye by others. The red juice expressed from the root makes an excellent die for cloth, yarn, and many other materials and can be used as a wood stain.

Bloodroot Links

Wildflowers of North Carolina
http://www.ncnatural.com/wildflwr/blodroot.html

Wildflowers of the Southeastern US
http://2bnthewild.com/plants/H261.htm
Back to top Go down
https://hydracave.forumotion.com
Astraea

Astraea

Favorite Quote : Beware the deadly donkey falling from the sky You may choose the way you live, my friend But not the way you die

BloodRoot Empty
PostSubject: http://www.earthclinic.com/Remedies/bloodroot.html   BloodRoot EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 1:20 am

The infamous herb called Bloodroot is a perennial flowering plant native to eastern North America. Bloodroot also goes by the names: sanguinaria canadensis, bloodwort, red puccoon root, pauson and tetterwort.

Medical Uses: (http://2bnthewild.com/plants/H261.htm)

Native Americans, early settlers and herbal practitioners have prescribed Bloodroot for myriad medical conditions from skin cancers to sore throats. Its most persistent and possibly valid use takes advantage of the flesh destroying properties of the root juice or powered root for treating conditions of the skin such as ringworm, warts, polyps, fungal growths and the like. Researchers are investigating the root's value in cancer treatment. An extract has long been used in toothpaste and mouthwash to fight plaque and gingivitis and this use is now sanctioned by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. The root has been used internally, in very small doses, to stimulate the digestive system and as an emetic. Self medication should be avoided, as the plant can be toxic. Even small doses can produce unwanted effects such as visual distortions.

DISCLAIMER
Our readers offer information and opinions on Earth Clinic, not as a substitute for professional medical prevention, diagnosis, or treatment. Please consult with your physician, pharmacist, or health care provider before taking any home remedies or supplements or following any treatment suggested by anyone on this site. Only your health care provider, personal physician, or pharmacist can provide you with advice on what is safe and effective for your unique needs or diagnose your particular medical history.
Back to top Go down
Astraea

Astraea

BloodRoot Empty
PostSubject: Re: BloodRoot   BloodRoot EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 1:38 am

08/24/2007: Jeff from Wichita, Kansas writes: "This is regarding Bloodroot. I have made and have used a blood root past also know as black salve. A doctor that I have worked with now uses this almost exclusively to treat warts. I have never seen it not work. Here is the recipe:

1/2 cup powdered Blood Root (Sanguinaria Canadensis)
1/2 cup Zinc Chloride, crystals or liquid
1/2 cup common white flour
1 1/2 cup warm water
100ml Chaparral extract or 100gm of powdered Chaparral (Larrea mexicana)

Pre-mix all but the water, thoroughly, before adding to the water. Using a stainless steel double boiler. Put in water, then stir in the other ingredients. Stir in well using a wooden spoon. Cook for thirty minutes over boiling water, stirring constantly. Application is much the same as cansema. Apply a thin layer (2-3mm) of the paste over the affected area and cover for 24 hours. Then remove the covering but do not disturb the lesion at all, do not attempt to pull the cancer out at any time, it should fall out in 10 days or so. Some people with sensitive skin put Vaseline or antibiotic ointment around the cancer so that the paste does not irritate the skin."
Back to top Go down
Astraea

Astraea

BloodRoot Empty
PostSubject: Re: BloodRoot   BloodRoot EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 2:14 am

02/09/2009: Ted from Bangkok, Thailand replies: "The best bloodroot remedy appears to be the simplest, which is 40% bloodroot and the rest is pure ethanol alcohol (found in vodka and beer). The addition of zinc chloride I believe is not helpful and caused burning sensation. Bloodroot if given in small quantities, although salves are too strong and painful because the dose is too large took me some time to resolve and it turned out a diluted bloodroot tincture works the best. The application of them generally leaves no scar and I am looking at the results of removal of skin tags if used only in a tincture form to work fairly quickly. Therefore because of the regenerative capacities of bloodroot the stem cells seems to be what bloodroot is promoting and hence the lack of scars. This is seen also in aloe vera oil and aloe vera extracts also as well as colloidal silver and colloidal gold.

The reason it has taken long for me to post the issue of bloodroot is to resolve the problems of pain and the associated dose and frequency which I have resolved. Hence the standard dose internally appears to be between 3-6 drops taken between 4-6 times a day. A minimum dose is closer to 3 drops taken 4 times a day. The concentration of bloodroot tincture (powder) is between 40-60% and the rest is ethanol alcohol. Black salve caused a lot of gastrointestinal distress, bloating and pain, but given the right concentration and dose, it doesn't cause any pain or cause additional scarring, as we have seen during treatment periods using the bloodroot salves. A possibility exist to use other forms of bloodroot powder, in very small quantities dissolved in water is another way to do it also. A bloodroot tincture can also be purchased from most health food stores seems to work fine also, against warts, Morgellon's disease, lupus, cancer polyps, cancer tumor, human papilloma virus, hepatitis C, hepatitis B, and even brain functions because of its regenerative capacities. The secret appears to be the dose and this is followed by vitamin B complex and alkalization. For some reason or another the pain and the associated anxiety that exists turns out to be that the bloodroot depletes the vitamin B complex, or that the body needs more of the vitamin B complex, some vitamin C and alkalization to prevent the associated negative side effects associated with bloodroot use.

Most people who did used bloodroot skipped with dose, frequency and concentration which prevented their lack of success and overlooked the resulting requirements of vitamin B complex which is why bloodroot is an overlooked remedy. I didn't overlook, but I had to resolve some technical use (besides trying to get them!), and their results before actually posting them.

Ted"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

BloodRoot Empty
PostSubject: Re: BloodRoot   BloodRoot Empty

Back to top Go down

BloodRoot
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Potpourri Americana :: The Body :: Herbalicious-
Jump to: