Potpourri Americana
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Potpourri Americana

I don't have a printer, so I print what I want to print here.
A collection of my personal bookmarks

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Raspberry Wine Jelly

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Astraea

Astraea

Number of posts : 2738
Favorite Quote : Beware the deadly donkey falling from the sky You may choose the way you live, my friend But not the way you die
Registration date : 2007-08-11

Raspberry Wine Jelly Empty
PostSubject: Raspberry Wine Jelly   Raspberry Wine Jelly EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 12:19 pm

http://www.thegreenestdollar.com/2010/08/how-to-make-raspberry-wine-jelly/

How to Make Raspberry Wine Jelly – Canning Recipe

by heather on August 2, 2010

My Raspberry Wine Jelly

I have been on a canning rampage lately. And I recently made a unique Raspberry Wine jam that is awesome on several different levels.

First, Raspberry Wine jam does NOT call for a boatload of raspberries. Here in Michigan, we’ve pretty much reached the end of raspberry season. But you can make this jam anytime because it only calls for 1 cup of berries. I snagged some on sale at the grocery store for $2.

Second, you’ve never tasted jelly like this before. It’s bright and interesting, and would make a memorable gift (although you’ll be sorely tempted to keep it for yourself).

Third, while it does call for a fair amount of wine (2 1/2 cups per batch), you can save big by using a cheap boxed wine. That’s what I did; I spent $8 on a boxed dry white wine, and it turned out great. And I have more than enough to make several more batches.

So, ready to give this awesome recipe a look? It’s a cinch!
How to Make Raspberry Wine Jam

Important Note: You will need a jelly bag or cheesecloth for this recipe.

This recipe makes six 4-oz. jars. Recipe comes from my lovely Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving: 400 Delicious and Creative Recipes for Today.

Ingredients:

1 cup raspberries (you can also use sliced hulled strawberries)
2 1/2 cups dry white wine
3 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 pouch liquid pectin

1. In large stainless steel saucepan or bowl, combine berries and wine. Crush berries and transfer to a dampened jelly bag or strainer lined with several layers of dampened cheesecloth set over a deep bowl. Let drip, undisturbed, for 1 hr. Measure 2 1/2 cups of berry wine.

Here’s what I rigged up for this step:

Making the berry wine...

2. Meanwhile, prepare canner, jars and lids. (Time Saving Tip: I no longer put my lids in a separate pan to boil. When I’m preparing my jars I simply dump my lids in the main canner to use less gas and keep the heat in the kitchen down. I would not recommend doing this unless you have a magnetic lid tool, which is worth every single penny of the $3 I paid for mine).

3. Transfer berry wine to a large stainless steel saucepan. Stir in sugar. Over high heat, stirring constantly, bring to a full rolling boil that cannot be stirred down. Stir in pectin. Boil hard, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and quickly skim off foam.

4. Quickly pour hot jelly into hot jars, leaving 1/4 in. headspace. Wipe rim, center lid, and screw band down.

5. Place jars in canner. Bring to a boil and process for 10 minutes. Remove lid, wait 5 minutes, then remove jars, cool and store.
A Word on Taste…

I wish I could send you all samples of how amazing this turned out. This recipe is top-notch, and you’ll be pleasantly surprised at just how good it is. It is definitely a more sophisticated jam when compared to the strawberry and peach I’ve already made.

Ball suggests using this jam with cheese, or as a glaze for poultry or pork.

I’ve just been eating mine on my English muffins with a bit of cream cheese. And, shamelessly, straight out of the jar with a spoon.

It’s that good.

So far, I think it might be the most delicious thing I’ve canned, and I highly recommend you try it out! If you’re looking for some frugal but thoughtful holiday gifts, Raspberry Wine Jelly would more than fit the bill.
Back to top Go down
https://hydracave.forumotion.com

Raspberry Wine Jelly
Page 1 of 1