Potpourri Americana
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Potpourri Americana

I don't have a printer, so I print what I want to print here.
A collection of my personal bookmarks

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Camping Snacks

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Astraea

Astraea

Number of posts : 2738
Favorite Quote : Beware the deadly donkey falling from the sky You may choose the way you live, my friend But not the way you die
Registration date : 2007-08-11

Camping Snacks Empty
PostSubject: Camping Snacks   Camping Snacks EmptyWed Jun 13, 2012 2:13 am

Oatmeal Trail Mix

Ingredients:

1 1/4 Cups of Oats (or combination of Oats, Bran, and Wheat Germ)
3/4 Cup of powdered milk
1 Tbsp Plain gelatin
1 cup of dates, apricots, or other dried fruit, chopped
1/2 cup of raisins
3/4 cup of chopped nuts and sunflower seeds
6 Tbsp Honey
1/4 tsp Grated orange or lemon peel
4 Tbsp Water

Preparation:

Mix dry ingredients in a bowl. In a separate bowl mix honey, water and citrus peel. Combine second mixture with the first. Knead with hands until thoroughly mixed. Press into a baking pan to a thickness of 1/2 inch. Bake at 150 degrees for about 6 hours. Don't let it brown! It burns easily. Cut into bars 1" x 2" or larger, wrap in wax paper. Store in a cool place until needed. May be eaten in bar form or crumbled in water or milk as a breakfast cereal.1

Bunny Salad -- a fun recipe for kids to try

Ingredients:

1 can of Pear Halves
1 jar Maraschino Cherries
Marshmallows
Raisins
Carrots
Lettuce Leaves

Preparation:

Place lettuce leaves on a plate. Put one pear half on top of lettuce with the hump-side up. Put a marshmallow in place using a toothpick on the narrow end of the pear to look like a Bunny's tail. Place 2 raisins on top of the pear for the Bunny's eyes, a maraschino cherry for the nose, cut 2 thin pieces of carrot in the shape of ears, and finally, stick into the pear, so the bunny will have ears.1

Grabbable Snackables

Granola bars, energy bars, string cheese, and fruit roll-ups are easy to reach for when hiking. Fresh fruit and vegetables in Mother Nature’s convenient packaging mean little waste to pack out. Choose fruit that travels well. Apples and orange, as opposed to bananas and soft pears, are very refreshing.1

GORP

The Boy Scout acronym for good old raisins and peanuts is even better with chocolate bits or M&Ms. Just mix your ingredients together in a re-sealable container or plastic bag. 1

Popcorn

Adjust your stove to medium-high heat and barely cover the bottom of your largest cooking pot with vegetable oil. Add a half-dozen kernels of the best (I use Orville’s) popping corn to the uncovered pot. Don’t add salt to the popper, as this encourages sticking and burning. When all the “maidens” have popped, the oil is at the right temperature. Add enough corn to cover the pot bottom, no more. You’ll have tough popcorn if you don’t allow steam to escape during the popping process, so find some way to vent the pot cover. Continuously shake the pot with a twisting motion until the cover is forced away from the pot, then immediately pour out the popped corn into a large paper grocery sack. Season with margarine and fine-grade popcorn salt. Shake the paper bag to mix. 2

1From the book Knack Car Camping for Everyone by Mary and Bill Burnham Copyright (c) 2009 by Morris Book Publishing, LLC Used by permission of FalconGuide

2From the book Canoeing & Camping Beyond the Basics, 3rdby Cliff Jacobson. Copyright © 2007 by Cliff Jacobson. Used by permission of FalconGuides, a division of Globe Pequot Press. Visit Falcon.com.
Back to top Go down
https://hydracave.forumotion.com

Camping Snacks
Page 1 of 1