Potpourri Americana
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Potpourri Americana

I don't have a printer, so I print what I want to print here.
A collection of my personal bookmarks

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Key Lime Cake

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Astraea

Astraea

Number of posts : 2738
Favorite Quote : Beware the deadly donkey falling from the sky You may choose the way you live, my friend But not the way you die
Registration date : 2007-08-11

Key Lime Cake Empty
PostSubject: Key Lime Cake   Key Lime Cake EmptyFri Aug 24, 2012 1:25 am

http://www.blissimagesandbeyond.blogspot.com/2012/01/key-lime-cake.html

Key Lime Cake
I was forwarded this recipe from my Aunt and don't know where it originated, but it is WAY too good not to share. Key Lime cake...it is a moist cake that tastes just like the pie, but if you're like me and prefer cakes over pies, this is perfection!

1 box lemon cake mix
1 1/3 c. vegetable oil
4 eggs
One 3oz. package of lime flavored gelatin mix
3/4 c. orange juice

Mix all together and pour into a 13x9 pan.

Bake according to instructions on cake box.

Frosting
1/2 c. butter (1 stick)
One 8oz. package cream cheese
3 tbsp. fresh lime juice
4 c. confectioners sugar

In a large bowl, beat the butter and cream cheese til fluffy...add the lime juice and beat together, then add the confectioners sugar and beat.

(This is A LOT of frosting...if you are a frosting lover, this will be great, but I use about 2/3 of it and that's good for me)
Back to top Go down
https://hydracave.forumotion.com
Astraea

Astraea

Number of posts : 2738
Favorite Quote : Beware the deadly donkey falling from the sky You may choose the way you live, my friend But not the way you die
Registration date : 2007-08-11

Key Lime Cake Empty
PostSubject: Trisha Yearwood;s Key Lime Cake   Key Lime Cake EmptySat Nov 03, 2012 5:29 pm

http://heidibakes.blogspot.com/2012/02/trisha-yearwoods-key-lime-cake.html?m=1

I've been wanting to make this cake for quite awhile. Today was the day. The cake was delicious but it didn't wow me like I thought it would. I liked it enough that I would make it again. It's REALLY easy to throw together. Whenever a cake involves oil instead of butter, it's so simple. This one uses no butter in the cake - all oil. This cake is ULTRA moist. It was moist even before you pour a mixture of lime juice & powdered sugar over the hot cake. One thing I was surprised about is the subtle lime flavor. I thought it would be "in your face" lime! Like POW! No, it's a lot more subtle. Definitely lime but not strong. I made a double recipe and it made 3 nice size layers of the cake. I don't see how a single recipe can result in layers that are thick enough. Maybe a double layer cake with a single recipe. I made the cream cheese icing but added lime zest to it and some big squeezes of lime juice.

This would be a wonderful cake for a summer barbeque. I can just imagine the nice light crisp lime flavor in the heat of summer. If you do not bake often or don't consider yourself a very talented baker, this might be a good cake for you to make. Seriously, this is about as easy as a cake mix.

It's such a moist cake that it was difficult to get a really clean slice.

Trisha Yearwood Key Lime Cake

■1 3-oz package lime-flavored gelatin
■1⅓ cups granulated sugar
■2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
■½ tsp salt
■1 tsp baking powder
■1 tsp baking soda
■5 large eggs, slightly beaten
■1½ cups vegetable oil
■¾ cup orange juice
■1 Tbsp lemon juice
■½ tsp vanilla extract
■½ cup Key lime juice (from about 25 small Key limes or 4 large regular limes)
■½ cup confectioners’ sugar

1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and flour three 9-inch-round cake pans.

2. In a large mixing bowl, mix the gelatin, sugar, flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Stir to mix well. Add the eggs, oil, orange juice, lemon juice, and vanilla. Divide the batter evenly among the 3 pans and bake for 35 to 40 minutes. Test for doneness by lightly touching the tops of the layers or inserting a toothpick. Cool the layers in the pans for 5 minutes, then turn them out onto racks.

3. While the layers are still hot, mix the lime juice and confectioners’ sugar and pour it over the layers on the racks. You can pierce the layers with a fork to allow the glaze to soak in better. Allow the layers to cool completely as you prepare the icing.

CREAM CHEESE ICING

■½ cup (1 stick) butter, room temperature
■1 (8-oz) package cream cheese, room temperature
■1 (1-lb) box confectioners’ sugar
(I used lime zest & lime juice in my icing)

1. Cream the butter and cream cheese. Beat in the confectioners’ sugar until the mixture is smooth and easy to spread. Spread the icing between the layers and on the top and sides of the cake.

Note: The cream cheese icing is optional. This cake is beautiful and tastes great with just the glaze poured over it. Serves 12.
Back to top Go down
https://hydracave.forumotion.com

Key Lime Cake
Page 1 of 1