Potpourri Americana
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Potpourri Americana

I don't have a printer, so I print what I want to print here.
A collection of my personal bookmarks

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Packing the Ice Chest

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Astraea

Astraea

Number of posts : 2738
Favorite Quote : Beware the deadly donkey falling from the sky You may choose the way you live, my friend But not the way you die
Registration date : 2007-08-11

Packing the Ice Chest Empty
PostSubject: Packing the Ice Chest   Packing the Ice Chest EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 10:22 am

http://www.applecreekcamping.com/ice.html

Question: When trying to store food and drinks in a cooler, which would be the best way to stop the ice from melting for as long as possible in order to keep the food and the drinks cold?

Answer: There's an art to packing a cooler efficiently, but anyone can master the technique with a little practice. The main trick is to avoid opening the cooler as much as possible, particularly during the heat of the day, because that lets in warm air, which melts the ice.

Most importantly, you need a quality ice chest for storage of perishables. Ideally, this should be a larger cooler with good insulation, including the lid, a drain plug, and an inside bin for those items you don't want sitting in melted ice. My wife and I have a 150 quart Coleman marine cooler, it has a deep bin and two lids, with panel inserts to create compartments inside the cooler. We've had block ice last in this "refrigerator" for over two weeks in 80º weather. Also, we take along a second, smaller cooler just for drinks, which keeps us from frequently opening the storage cooler. Basically, that's the main trick: avoid opening the cooler as much as possible, particularly during the heat of the day, because that let's in warm air, which melts the ice.

Here's some other tips to help prolong the ice:

pre-chill, or freeze, food and drinks
put food in first, then cover with ice
keep the cooler out of the sun
make sure you close the lid tight
don't drain all the cold water
keep meats/perishables directly on ice
avoid opening frequently

Happy Chillin' ...
Back to top Go down
https://hydracave.forumotion.com

Packing the Ice Chest