Potpourri Americana
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Potpourri Americana

I don't have a printer, so I print what I want to print here.
A collection of my personal bookmarks

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Red Velvet Brownie

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Astraea

Astraea

Number of posts : 2738
Favorite Quote : Beware the deadly donkey falling from the sky You may choose the way you live, my friend But not the way you die
Registration date : 2007-08-11

Red Velvet Brownie Empty
PostSubject: Red Velvet Brownie   Red Velvet Brownie EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 3:04 am

From the kitchen of Rocco DiSpirito
Post a Comment
Servings: Over 8
Difficulty: Easy
Cook Time: 30-60 min

"The recipe for red velvet cake has been around since the 1920's, when the cake was the signature dessert at the Waldorf-Astoria hotel in New York City. The cake captured my heart –and it plays hard to get. It took me forever to come up with a magical adaptation that would capture the richness of its namesake. These bars get their health benefits, velvety texture, and deep red color from a paste made of beets, red beans, cocoa powder, and red food coloring. I took a slight departure from the traditional red velvet cake flavor by adding a touch of almond extract, and that, my friends, is where the magic happened."

-- Rocco DiSpirito
Ingredients
Butter flavored nonstick cooking spray
½ cup chopped canned beets, drained
7 ounces (about 1 cup) canned red beans, drained and rinsed
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
¾ cup liquid egg substitute
3 tablespoons whole wheat pastry flour
¾ cup agave nectar
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon almond extract
2 teaspoons natural red food coloring
Cooking Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 F. Spray an 8 x 8 x 2-inch baking dish with cooking spray.

Combine the beets, beans, and cocoa powder, egg substitute, and flour in the bowl of a food processor. Process until the mixture is smooth, about 2 minutes, scraping down the bowl halfway through.

Add the agave, butter, vanilla, almond extract, and food coloring. Process until all of the ingredients are combined, about 1 minute.

Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish, and smooth the top with a spatula. Bake for 20 minutes, turning the dish halfway through the baking time. Turn down the temperature of the oven to 300 F and bake for another 5 to 8 minutes., until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a little bit of soft batter clinging to it. It should not come out clean, if it does, it's overcooked.

Let the brownies cool completely in the baking dish on a wire rack. Then put them in the fridge for at least 3 hours. When they're cold, cut them into 12 squares and serve. Refrigerate any leftovers.

Serves 12; 106 calories each

Recipes from "NOW EAT THIS! DIET," by Rocco DiSpirito. Copyright © 2011 by Flavorworks. Used by permission of Grand Central Publishing, Inc. All rights reserved.

This recipe was styled by chef Karen Pickus for Good Morning America.
Recipe Summary

Main Ingredients: beets, red beans, cocoa powder, liquid egg substitute, vanilla extract, red food coloring

Course: Dessert, Snack

More Info: Low Fat, Low Calorie
Back to top Go down
https://hydracave.forumotion.com

Red Velvet Brownie
Page 1 of 1