Potpourri Americana
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Potpourri Americana

I don't have a printer, so I print what I want to print here.
A collection of my personal bookmarks

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Cookie Tips

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Astraea

Astraea

Number of posts : 2738
Favorite Quote : Beware the deadly donkey falling from the sky You may choose the way you live, my friend But not the way you die
Registration date : 2007-08-11

Cookie Tips Empty
PostSubject: Cookie Tips   Cookie Tips EmptyTue May 15, 2012 10:20 pm

Homemade Cookie Tips

If you keep having trouble with your drop cookies spreading badly then try using solid shortening (like Crisco) instead of margarine or butter. Not only does this help with the baking but also with the budget and I have yet to see a difference in the favor. As a matter of fact most of the old favorite recipes were originally made with shortening but we have changed them because it is easier to throw in a stick of butter then to measure the shortening.

Speaking of measuring shortening, here are two easy ways to do that. First you can use an ice cream scoop, which is equal to 1/4 cup, or you can use a 2 cup measuring cup with the water method. This is where you fill the cup with 1 cup of water. If you need a cup of shortening then add enough shortening to the water in the cup to make the water rise to the 2 cup mark. If you need 1/2 cup then add enough so the water line raises to 1 1/2 cups etc. After you get your amount measured just scoop it out of the water and use.

Here’s another cookie idea: When baking bar cookies or brownies, line the pan with foil. This not only makes clean up easier but you can lift them out of the pan when cooled and they are easier to cut. I don’t mind making the cookies — it’s the clean up I hate, so little things like this inspire me more to bake.

It may seem way too early to be thinking about Christmas cookies but here is a tip that will save you time when December comes.Starting now, whenever you bake a batch of cookies, only bake a couple of sheets. Take the batter that is left and drop it on wax paper laid on a cookie sheet as if you were going to bake them, but instead put them into the freezer. Once frozen, put them in a freezer bag to keep until you need them.

Closer to Christmas you will have a variety of cookies that you can pop into the oven when unexpected company comes or when you discover you forgot to make treats for school. If nothing else it will save on your cookie baking time closer to Christmas.

Remember most cookie doughs can be frozen and if wrapped well will keep fine until Christmas so get ahead– start and mix up some of your favorite recipes now. If you are unsure about what can or can’t be frozen go to the grocery store and see what kinds they have in their refrigerator and freezer sections. You can freeze the same. Chocolate chip, sugar cookies, oatmeal and others work well.
Back to top Go down
https://hydracave.forumotion.com
Astraea

Astraea

Number of posts : 2738
Favorite Quote : Beware the deadly donkey falling from the sky You may choose the way you live, my friend But not the way you die
Registration date : 2007-08-11

Cookie Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cookie Tips   Cookie Tips EmptyTue May 15, 2012 10:24 pm

Another cookie tip: if you’re like me and don’t enjoy crispy, crunchy cookies, but your recipes keep turning out this way, use bread flour. Also, brown sugar (real brown sugar, not light brown sugar) helps with chewiness. If you go to Youtube and search for “Alton Brown cookies”, you can find his entire cookie episode broken up into segments.

Back to top Go down
https://hydracave.forumotion.com

Cookie Tips
Page 1 of 1