Potpourri Americana
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Potpourri Americana

I don't have a printer, so I print what I want to print here.
A collection of my personal bookmarks

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Green Cleaning

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Astraea

Astraea

Number of posts : 2738
Favorite Quote : Beware the deadly donkey falling from the sky You may choose the way you live, my friend But not the way you die
Registration date : 2007-08-11

Green Cleaning Empty
PostSubject: Green Cleaning   Green Cleaning EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 2:51 am

http://www.easy-aromatherapy-recipes.com/homemade-cleaners.html

Homemade All Purpose Cleaner Recipe
Ingredients

1 teaspoon borax
1/4 cup white vinegar
2 cups water
30 drops essential oil blend (see below)

Directions

Boil the water. Pour it into a large glass measuring cup or pitcher with a spout.
Add the borax and stir until dissolved.
Add the vinegar.
Let cool, then pour the mixture into a spray bottle.
Drop in the essential oils.

Handy Hint: Add the essential oils AFTER you pour the cleaner into the bottle because the essential oil's scent can "stick" to your measuring cup or pitcher.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Basic Homemade Bathroom Cleaner Recipe
This all purpose homemade bathroom cleaner spray makes it easy to wipe away dirt and grime while also killing germs and bacteria. Plus, it smells so refreshing!
Ingredients

1 teaspoon Borax
2 cups hot boiled Water
1/2 teaspoon liquid dishwashing soap
3 tablespoons white Vinegar
15 drops Lavender essential oil
10 drops Eucalyptus essential oil
5 drops Tea Tree essential oil

Directions

Pour the water into a large glass pitcher with a spout. Add the borax and stir until it's dissolved.
Let the mixture cool to room tmerature, then pour it into a spray bottle. Add the remaining ingredients and shake well to mix.
To use, spray onto bathroom surfaces, then wipe clean with a cloth or sponge.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Homemade Bathtub Cleaner Recipe
This homemade bathtub cleaner is a great scrubbing powder for polishing, disinfecting and killing mold-causing fungi - without damaging the finish. It also whitens grout.

Ingredients

1/3 cup cup (40g) Borax
1/3 cup cup (40g) Baking Soda
1 teaspoon liquid Dishwashing Soap
5 drops Rosemary essential oil
5 drops Tea Tree essential oil

Directions
Stir together all the ingredients in a small plastic container. (It takes quite a bit of stirring to fully integrate the dishwashing liquid into the powder.) You should end up with a slightly damp powder.

To use, dampen the tub or sink and apply the homemade bathtub cleaner with a sponge or rag. Rinse well.

I use one of those sponges with the plastic scrubby stuff on one side (like in the picture at the top of the page.) It even gets rid of that hard water/soap scum film without too much work!
Magic Soap Scum dissolver

I hate soap scum. The few times I've had my home professionally cleaned, the woman that cleaned my shower was able to get down to the bare ceramic tile in our shower. It was an amazing feeling having that cold tile on my bare feet. I wanted to hire her back and hold her hostage until she told me her secret.

Luckily I didn't have to do anything illegal, instead I discovered this recipe for soap scum dissolver from Food.com on Pinterest.

Make It: Heat up 1 cup vinegar in the microwave. Mix vinegar with 1 cup blue Dawn dish detergent in a spray bottle and spray it on your scummy shower. Wait a minute and then wipe it off and say sayonara to that soap scum!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Heavy Duty Homemade Cleaner Recipe
Grout is a prime area for mold and grime. This powerful homemade grout cleaner kills mildew-causing fungi, whitens and brightens grout and dissolves mineral deposits.

Ingredients

1/2 cup cup (60g) Borax
1/2 cup cup (60g) Baking Soda
1/3 cup (80ml) white Vinegar
5 drops Cinnamon Bark essential oil
5 drops Clove essential oil

Directions
Mix the ingredients together until they make a smooth paste. Scrub into the grout. (A toothbrush makes a great grout scrubber.) Let sit for at least 15 minutes, then rinse.

Caution: Wear rubber gloves - this blend can irritate the skin.

If you don't have cinnamon or clove oil, replace them with 5 drops each of thyme and tea tree (smells strong!) Use rubber gloves for this homemade bathroom cleaner blend too.
Homemade Toilet Cleaners
This simple homemade bathroom cleaner disinfects, deodorizes and helps get rid of the mineral deposits that cause toilet bowl rings.

Pour 1 cup (120g) of borax and 1/4 cup (60ml) of lemon juice into the toilet bowl. Let sit overnight. In the morning, scrub with a toilet brush, then flush to rinse. Easy!

For tough stains, make a borax and lemon juice paste. Scoop some of the water out of the toilet to expose the stain, then rub the paste into it. Let stand overnight. In the morning, scrub once more, then flush to rinse.
Homemade Dishwasher Detergent Recipe (Powder)
Deceptively simple, this homemade dishwasher soap cleans without toxic chemicals. It works best if you rinse heavily soiled dishes first.

Ingredients

1 cup Baking Soda
1 cup Borax
20 drops Lemon OR Clove essential oil (or use 10 drops of each)

Directions

Combine the baking soda and the borax in a plastic container. Stir in the essential oils.
Store, covered, in a cool dark place.
To use, add 2 to 4 tablespoons homemade dishwasher detergent to your dishwasher's soap compartment.

Note: This recipe worked great when I lived on city water, not so great when I moved to the country where the water is really hard. I recommend using the liquid dishwasher detergent recipe below if your water is hard.

I also definitely recommend using vinegar in the rinse cycle (see below) even if your water is good.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The World's Simplest Rinse Aid
Boost your dishwasher's cleaning power by adding white vinegar to the rinse compartment before you run the dishwasher. Not only does it reduce spotting, but it also helps prevent odors and mineral build-up in your dishwasher.

In fact, to get rid of gunky residue from your dishwasher, fill the detergent compartment with pure vinegar and run the dishwasher on a normal cycle.

You can even use vinegar to rinse handwashed dishes. Just add a couple tablespoons of vinegar to your rinse water, along with one drop lemon essential oil. Your glassware will sparkle!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Liquid Homemade Dishwashing Detergent
This recipe is kind of cheating because you still use store-bought dishwasher detergent, but it's better than expensive, toxic name brands. Look for phosphate free detergent for a more earth friendly option.

Ingredients

1 cup Baking Soda
1 cup Borax
1 cup boiling Water
1 cup store-bought liquid dishwasher soap
10 drops Grapefruit essential oil
10 drops Lemon essential oil
10 drops Orange essential oil

Directions

Dissolve the baking soda and borax in the hot water.
Stir in the liquid dishwasher detergent, then add the essential oils, stirring to mix.
Pour into an old dishwasher detergent bottle. Use 2 to 3 tablespoons per load.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Natural Carpet Freshener
Combine 2 cups baking soda with one of the following essential oil blends:

10 drops lavender essential oil, 5 drops clove, 5 drops cinnamon
10 drops orange or lemon, 5 drops lemongrass, 5 drops tea tree

Sprinkle a fine layer of the homemade carpet cleaner powder on to your carpet and leave for a couple of hours. Vacuum thoroughly. Do this regularly to keep your carpets from smelling stale.

How it works: The baking soda deodorizes and lifts out stains, and the essential oils disinfect - killing germs, bacteria and any other nasties living in there. The essential oils disinfect and add a nice, fresh aroma.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Foamy Homemade Carpet Cleaner Recipe
lavender essential oil Combine 1/4 cup (60ml) liquid dishwashing soap, 1/2 cup warm water and 5 drops lavender essential oil in a large bowl. Use an electric mixer to beat them into a stiff foam.

Use a damp sponge to rub the foam cleaner into soiled areas, then remove with a damp cloth. Repeat as necessary. Let the carpet dry, then vacuum.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All Purpose Homemade Carpet Stain Remover
homemade carpet stain removal Combine 1 teaspoon liquid dishwashing soap, 1/4 white vinegar and 2 cups of water in a spray bottle. Add 3 drops lavender and 2 drops tea tree essential oil. Shake well.

Spray the homemade carpet cleaner onto the stain. Blot with a clean, damp cloth. Repeat if necessary. Note: only use a little spray at a time - don't saturate the carpet.

How to Use Homemade Carpet Stain Removers

Act right away to clean up spills. Stains are WAY easier to remove when they're fresh.
First, soak up the liquid with paper towels or soft, clean cloths.
Use one of the stain removers below. For liquid stains, blot - don't rub - the problem area. For semi-solid spills such as chocolate or grease, gently rub in the stain remover.
Make sure you get the stain out completely. Don't skimp here! Once they dry, stains can be very hard to remove.
Dry the cleaned-up spot by covering it with a dry towel and pressing down with a heavy object. Replace the towel as soon as it's saturated.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Homemade Carpet Stain Removal Tips

Alcohol, Coffee & Tea Stains: Blot the carpet with a damp sponge soaked in club soda. If it doesn't completely get rid of the stain, follow with All Purpose Stain Remover (recipe below.)

Chocolate Stains: Gently rub a mixture of equal parts vegetable glycerin and warm water into the chocolate stain. Rinse with warm water. Repeat as necessary.

Grease Stains: Gently rub baking soda into the grease stain. Leave overnight, then vacuum. Follow with All Purpose Stain Remover.

Mud: Let dry completely, then vacuum the carpet. Follow with All Purpose Stain Remover.

Chewing gum: Rub the gum with an ice cube until it hardens, then scrape it out of the carpet with a dull knife.

Wax: Use a dull knife to scrape off as much wax as possible. Put a brown paper bag over the remaining wax, then press with a warm (not hot) iron. The wax will stick to the paper. Keep doing this until all the wax is gone.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Heavy Duty Homemade Glass Cleaner Recipe
homemade window washing cleaner recipe This recipe is for really greasy, grimy windows - the kind with a winter buildup of road dirt or commercially cleaned windows. Adding a touch of soap helps cut through the gunk.

Combine 1 cup (250ml) eachwater and white vinegar or vodka with 1/4 teaspoon (2ml) liquid dishwashing soap in a spray bottle. Add 5 drops lemon, tea tree or lavender essential oil. Shake well.

To use, spray on and wipe off with newspaper or lint-free cloth.
Secret Remedy for Streaky Windows
Sometimes windows look streaky however much you polish them. Impossible-to-remove streaks can be caused by wax build-up from commercial cleaners. Use this remedy to get rid of the wax, then switch to using vinegar cleaning recipes. Problem solved!

Combine 1/2 cup (125ml) each rubbing alcohol and water with 1/4 teaspoon (2ml) liquid dishwashing soap in a spray bottle. Add 5 drops lemon, tea tree or lavender essential oil. Shake well.

To use, spray your homemade window cleaner onto your window or mirror and wipe off with newspaper or lint-free cloth. Note: this glass cleaner recipe is less eco-friendly than the others and should be used sparingly.
Homemade Window Cleaner Tips & Tricks

Using newspaper leaves a helpful dirt-resistant film on your glass.
Reduce streaking by doing your windows on a cloudy day. Streaks happen when the sun dries the window cleaning solution too quickly.
Wipe outside glass in a horizontal direction and inside glass in a vertical direction so you can see which side needs repolishing.
Use a clean blackboard eraser to polish windows after cleaning. Gives them a great shine! (Make sure you use a good one, not the cheap kids' toy kind.)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Liquid Homemade Laundry Detergent Recipe
You need a 5 gallon bucket for this homemade laundry soap recipe. Somebody on one of the forums suggested asking a restaurant for their empties (fat for deep frying comes in huge buckets.) I got mine from my local bulk food store for a dollar.

Ingredients

4 cups hot boiled Water
1 natural Soap Bar (see the directions below for tips)
1 cup Washing Soda
1/4 cup Borax
30 drops Lavender essential oil
30 drops Lemon essential oil
30 drops Grapefruit OR Clove essential oil

Directions

Grate the soap bar using the coarse side of your cheese grater. I buy clear vegetable glycerin or olive oil soap bars from my local bulk food store, and many web sources suggest using Fels Naptha or Ivory soap.

Combine the soap flakes and hot water in a large saucepan. Stir over a medium-low heat until the soap is melted.
Fill a 5 gallon bucket half full of very hot water. Add the melted soap mixture, the washing soda and the borax. Stir until all the powder is dissolved.
Fill the bucket up to the top with more hot water. Stir, cover and let sit overnight to thicken.
What If It's Really Lumpy?

I just made a batch with a new laundry soap bar and my homemade laundry soap came out really thick and lumpy.
I tried mushing it with a spoon, then with my potato masher, and then finally I just put my hands in and squished away the lumps.
It was surprisingly fun, and I'd definitely recommend making it with your kids. It's a great alternative to squishing around in mud!
Next morning, stir the essential oils into the laundry soap mixture.

Transfer your homemade laundry detergent to a bunch of clean used laundry jugs.

To use: Shake the bottle before each use to dissolve any lumps of gel that might have formed while it was sitting. Use 1 cup per load for top-load washing machines, and half a cup for front-load washers.

This recipe makes enough homemade laundry detergent for 45 top loads or 90 front loads. If that seems like a lot, reduce the recipe by half (although it's not going to go bad - it's soap!)

Note: Washing soda is made from Sodium Carbonate and is not the same ingredient as baking soda. You can usually find washing soda in the laundry area of your grocery or department store (I got mine at Walmart) or ask for it at a pool store. It will be in the water softeners section. You can also buy washing soda online at Amazon.com
Powdered Homemade Laundry Detergent Recipe
This homemade laundry soap recipe is a lot easier to make than the liquid recipe, so if you like using powdered laundry soap, this one's for you!

Ingredients

2 cups Soap Flakes (see directions below for making soap flakes)
1 cup Washing Soda
1 cup Borax
20 drops Lemon OR Clove essential oil
20 drops Lavender essential oil

Directions

To make soap flakes, grate a bar of unscented natural soap using the fine side of your cheese grater. I buy clear vegetable glycerin or olive oil soap bars from my local bulk food store, and many web sources suggest using Ivory soap.

Update: I'm tired of spending so much effort on making soap flakes. I've decided it's worth a little extra cost to save myself the time and aggravation it takes to grate up the soap bars. If you're feeling the same way, here's a link for buying soap flakes. Your arms will thank you!

Combine all the ingredients in a large airtight container. Stir to combine (or just put the lid on and shake vigorously.)

Use 2 tablespoons homemade laundry detergent per load.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Vinegar - the New Fabric Softener
It's a great idea to replace your chemical fabric softener with vinegar. Here's why: vinegar...

Softens fabric
Removes detergent residue
Helps stop colors from fading
Deodorizes smelly clothes

Caution:
Do not use vinegar if you're using chlorine bleach - the combination produces toxic gases.

In fact, why not switch to Oxygen Bleach - it's gentler on fabrics and more environmentally friendly. Plus, your clothes won't smell like a swimming pool!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No-Rinse Homemade Floor Cleaner Recipe
This is one of the easiest home cleaning recipes ever - just make it right in your kitchen sink! It really cuts into grease and grime, and it kills any germs or bacteria caught living on your floors. Plus, it smells awesome!

Fill a bucket (or your sink) with hot water. Pour in about 1/4 cup (a splash) of white vinegar. Add 15 drops essential oil.

That's it - just wash and let dry. No fuss, no muss, and it works on ceramic tile, vinyl, laminate and hardwood floors. I LOVE this recipe!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Heavy Duty Homemade Floor Cleaner Recipe
This is one of the best homemade kitchen floor cleaners - sticky juice spills, tracked-in mud, ground-in grease and grime... It also works on pretty much all floor types.

Fill a bucket with hot water. Pour in 1/2 cup each of white vinegar and rubbing alcohol or vodka. Add 2 tablespoons liquid dish soap and 15 drops of essential oil.

Optional: Stir in 1/4 cup baking soda to increase its deodorizing, disinfecting and scrubbing powers.

This recipe requires rinsing afterwards. Just go over the floor again with clean hot water to get rid of any soapy residue.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Handy Hint for Homemade Laminate Floor Cleaner
The trick to using a homemade laminate floor cleaner is not to use too much. If you flood your laminate floor or leave water on it for too long, the edges of the boards will start to bubble and peel.

So use a damp mop or cloth (not sopping-wet) and apply pressure to scrub away grime rather than sitting water to loosen dirt.

Actually, this is good advice for using a homemade wood floor cleaner as well. You can really only soak ceramic tile or solid vinyl floors.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Natural Homemade Drain Cleaner
Use this recipe once a week to keep your kitchen sink free from soap and grease residues that can build up and block your drain.

homemade drain cleaner recipe

Pour 1/2 cup each baking soda, salt and white vinegar down the plughole. Wait 15 minutes, then pour a kettle of boiling water down the drain.

Light duty cleaning: Mix together 1/2 cup salt and 1 gallon water. Heat the mixture (but not to boiling point) and pour it down your clogged drain.

For tougher clogs: Dump 1/2 cup baking soda down the drain. Follow it with 1/2 cup vinegar. The chemical reaction will cause the fatty acids and soap to break down. After 15 minutes, pour 4 cups of boiling hot water down the drain. (Caution: Do not use boiling water for plastic drain pipes. Use hot tap water instead. Also, do not add a commercial drain opener while the vinegar is in your pipes. The results can be noxious fumes.)

If you still haven't cleared the clog, I've found using a Zip It super helpful for pulling up clogged hair. But, be forewarned, you may gag a little.
http://parentables.howstuffworks.com/slideshows/nesting/easy-inexpensive-diy-recipes-ten-common-cleaning-products/page/4/
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Use a Plunger for Really Bad Clogs
Use a rubber plunger (the kind you get from a hardware store) to clear a clogged drain.

Here's how: Make sure the drain is completely covered by the plunger, then push the plunger up and down with some force. The pressure from the plunging action should break through the clog.

Helpful Hint
Always use a strainer in your drains (including bathroom sink and tub) to catch junk that doesn't belong in your pipes - food particles, loose hair, small toys...

Also, never pour grease down your kitchen sink. It just sets you up for clogs.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cleaning Your Sink Disposal
Kitchen sink disposal units can be home to food residues, bacteria and bad smells. Here's a simple recipe that will help clean and disinfect it.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
homemade drain cleaner recipe

Pour 1/4 cup each borax and baking soda down the drain. Add the rind from half a lemon. Run the unit, making sure to use plenty of hot water. Do this once a week.

Preventing Problems
As with many homemade natural cleaners, these recipes are much more gentle than commercial products. So it's important to prevent problems before they start by using the homemade drain cleaners every week or so to keep your drains free and clear.
Essential Oil Blends for Green Cleaning Recipes
Here's a few suggestions for mood-lifting, stress-reducing, germ-killing essential oil blends for your homemade cleaners.

Lavender 'n Lemon

Equal parts lavender and lemon essential oils.
(For example, 15 drops lavender and 15 drops lemon for the all purpose cleaning spray)

Mint Refresher

Equal parts eucalyptus, peppermint and orange essential oils.
(So 10 drops of each for the all-purpose spray, or 1 drop of each for the glass cleaner)

Spice Splash

Equal parts cinnamon, clove and lavender OR orange essential oils.
(So 10 drops of each for the all-purpose spray, or 3 drops of each for the bathtub scrub)

Citrus Sparkle

Equal parts lemon, lemongrass and tea tree essential oils.
Back to top Go down
https://hydracave.forumotion.com

Green Cleaning
Page 1 of 1