Potpourri Americana
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Potpourri Americana

I don't have a printer, so I print what I want to print here.
A collection of my personal bookmarks

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

How to Make Easy Refrigerator Pickles

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Astraea

Astraea

Number of posts : 2738
Favorite Quote : Beware the deadly donkey falling from the sky You may choose the way you live, my friend But not the way you die
Registration date : 2007-08-11

How to Make Easy Refrigerator Pickles Empty
PostSubject: How to Make Easy Refrigerator Pickles   How to Make Easy Refrigerator Pickles EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 4:04 am

This is the easiest pickle recipe you will ever find. There is no cooking and no canning. My mother adapted this recipe after hearing about it from a elderly farmer. He called them "ice box" pickles. They are so simple!

things you'll need:

* 1 very large jar (2 quarts or bigger)
* 6 C Cucumbers
* 1 C Onions
* 1 C Vinegar
* 2 C Sugar (I use unrefined sugar)
* 1 t Celery Seed
* 1 t Mustard Seed
* 1 t Sea Salt

Instructions
Slicing. Slice 6 Cups of Cucumbers as thin as you can get them. Slice 1 Cup of Onions as thin as you can get them.
Combine Everything. In a very large jar, place the cucumbers, onions and remaining ingredients. Don't heat anything. You can add other spices to your taste or preference, such as dill weed shown above.
Refrigerate. Place in the refrigerator and stir or shake daily for 6 days. It will take a few hours for the pickles to become juicy.

Tips & Warnings

• I've been told these will stay good for 6 months in the refrigerator. In my home, they are always eaten well before that, so I haven't had a chance to test that for myself.
  • These have a subtle flavor. They do not have a strong vinegar flavor, and they are not extremely sweet.
  • If you have never made pickles before, you may think you have made a mistake. They will initially look dry. It takes several hours for the pickles to make their juice.

Read more: How to Make Easy Refrigerator Pickles | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_4407786_make-easy-refrigerator-pickles.html#ixzz1HDeKJD5O
Back to top Go down
https://hydracave.forumotion.com
Astraea

Astraea

Number of posts : 2738
Favorite Quote : Beware the deadly donkey falling from the sky You may choose the way you live, my friend But not the way you die
Registration date : 2007-08-11

How to Make Easy Refrigerator Pickles Empty
PostSubject: Make Grandma's Icebox Sweet Pickles   How to Make Easy Refrigerator Pickles EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 4:13 am

How to Make Grandma's Icebox Sweet Pickles
After 10 years writing strictly public relations content in the area of education, I am now branching out into other freelance writing venues. It's really fun to write about my interest areas.
By etmarciniec, eHow Member
How to Make Grandma's Icebox Sweet Pickles

Grandma's icebox sweet pickles are simple to make and require no canning. They keep well in the refrigerator or freezer and make a perfect side dish with sandwiches or hot dogs and hamburgers on a hot afternoon. Ever since the summer I started making Grandma's sweet pickles recipe (when my sister's cucumber situation in the garden got out of hand) I've found it necessary to always keep the fridge stocked with sweet pickles.

Difficulty:
Easy
things you'll need:
* 2 quarts sliced cucumbers
* 1 onion, thinly sliced
* 2 tbs salt
* 1½ cups sugar
* ½ cup vinegar
Instructions
Thinly slice the cucumbers and the onion. Aim for 2 quarts of sliced cucumbers the first time around so you are familiar with the proportions. (After the first time you make them, you can probably get away with doing the whole thing by taste and whatever quantity of cucumbers is available, which is what I do.) Important: leave the skins on the cucumbers. Slicing can be done by hand or with a food processor to speed up the job.
Cover sliced cucumbers and onion with water in a bowl and add salt. Then mix and let stand for two hours.
Next, drain the water and add the sugar. Mix until the cucumbers are fully coated with sugar.
Add vinegar and mix again. Your pickles are finished!
Freeze the extra pickles (optional). That's right--these pickles are not meant to be canned, they are meant to be frozen, at least that's what Grandma tells me. She used to make large batches and freeze the rest in plastic containers--which is what makes them "icebox" sweet pickles. (You see, refrigerators were called "iceboxes" back in Grandma's day.) The pickles can be thawed out and eaten whenever you're ready.
Refrigerate the pickles you're going to eat soon. To be honest, I prefer to not freeze the pickles, even when I make an extra big batch. I just store the extras in mason jars (without canning them). Be sure to add enough brine to the jar that the pickles are completely covered; this keeps them pickling and adds flavor. Based on my own experience, the pickles will keep in the refrigerator for at least a month. Based on what I read online for similar recipes, however, they might be able to last as long as 6 months in the fridge!
Tips & Warnings
* Freezing the pickles changes the consistency a little. Although they're still crunchy and they taste good when they come out of the freezer, my personal preference is not to freeze them.

Read more: How to Make Grandma's Icebox Sweet Pickles | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_5125870_make-grandmas-icebox-sweet-pickles.html#ixzz1HDg1QKe4

Back to top Go down
https://hydracave.forumotion.com

Page 1 of 1