Potpourri Americana
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Potpourri Americana

I don't have a printer, so I print what I want to print here.
A collection of my personal bookmarks

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Best Crochet Potholder

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Astraea

Astraea

Number of posts : 2738
Favorite Quote : Beware the deadly donkey falling from the sky You may choose the way you live, my friend But not the way you die
Registration date : 2007-08-11

Best Crochet Potholder Empty
PostSubject: Best Crochet Potholder   Best Crochet Potholder EmptySun Jun 10, 2012 12:34 am

http://www.flaxandtwine.com/2011/01/worlds-best-potholder.html

I’ve been thinking a lot about things I used to make when I was young. I wanted to update some of those gifts to make them more modern and current. In particular, I kept thinking about the potholders my Grandmother taught me to make. Actually, they are the first thing I ever learned to make, so it seems apropos to have it be my first posted pattern. Let me tell you, these potholders rock! They are sturdy, washable and incredible at blocking out the heat from even the hottest of pots and pans.
Size Finished potholder is 7” wide x 6.5” long

Yarn Worsted Weight Yarn: 100% Cotton; Shown here: Lion Brand Yarn Lion Cotton (100% cotton; 236 yards [215 m]/142 g): #152 espresso

Hook Size F/5 (3.75mm)

Gauge 19 sc and 21 rows to 4" (10cm)

Notions Twine or embroidery thread, tapestry needle

Instructions
The crocheted fabric is doubled for the part that holds the pot and then there is another layer to protect the top of your hand (which I burn all the time if I don't use these!) Am I the only one? I added a bit of embroidery with bakers twine!

Main piece: To begin, using size F/5 (3.75mm) hook, Ch 32.
Turn and sc in 2nd ch from hook, sc in each ch to end – 30 sc. Ch 1, turn.
Sc in each ch to end of row. Ch 1, turn.**
Repeat the last row until piece measures 13” (33cm) from starting ch.
Fasten off.
Hand cover: Work as for front until piece measures 6.5” (16.5cm) from starting ch.
Fasten off.

Finishing
Weave in any loose ends on individual pieces.
Embroider: Add a finishing touch by embroidering a monogram, flower or other motif on the lower right hand corner of the RS of the Hand Cover.
Align Pieces: Fold Main Piece in half with WS tog, turn so fold is at the bottom. Lay Hand cover on top with embroidery facing up at right hand corner. Hand opening should be at the fold of the Main Piece
Join Pieces: Using size F/5 (3.75mm) hook, insert hook through all three layers beginning at the lower right corner, yo and draw yarn through, ch 1, 1 sc in same place ch1 was worked. Continue to work sc around three edges of the pot holder, while working three sc stitches at each corner. Fasten off.
Weave in any loose ends.
Back to top Go down
https://hydracave.forumotion.com

Best Crochet Potholder
Page 1 of 1