Potpourri Americana
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Potpourri Americana

I don't have a printer, so I print what I want to print here.
A collection of my personal bookmarks

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Making Earring Cards

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Astraea

Astraea

Number of posts : 2738
Favorite Quote : Beware the deadly donkey falling from the sky You may choose the way you live, my friend But not the way you die
Registration date : 2007-08-11

Making Earring Cards Empty
PostSubject: Making Earring Cards   Making Earring Cards EmptyThu Nov 22, 2012 3:34 am

http://vickiorion.blogspot.com/2011/07/making-earring-cards.html

Making Earring Cards
One of the less glamorous aspects of making jewelry (seriously though, are there any truly glamorous aspects?) is the need for earring display cards. I've always made my own, using Corel Draw.

Three times in the past 14 years, I have had to upgrade my version of Corel and I live in fear that my existing files will not be compatible with the newest version. I did my last upgrade this past December and all went well, so I'm probably safe for another 5 years or so.

Since I have not been able to give up this task to a commercial printer, I continue to buy 80 lb cover cardstock and print my own. Cutting them has become a science for me. I'll take you through the process and if you fall asleep, I'll wake you when I'm done.

Each sheet (printed front and back) is printed with 12 cards on it. The cards will measure 2" x 3 1/4" when cut.

First I cut them vertically.

Then I cut them horizontally.

My not-so-heavy-duty paper cutter will only cut 3 sheets of this cardstock at a time, so I print in multiples of 3. This batch was 9 sheets. Why don't I get a heavier paper cutter, you ask? I don't have a good answer for you.

And the back, printed with "Sterling Silver". I leave space under that to write the names of the stones in each particular pair of earrings.

ARE YOU STILL AWAKE?!? PAY ATTENTION -- THIS IS EXCITING STUFF!

Now I bet you're wondering how I put those little holes in the cards that hold the earrings. I'll tell you anyway.

Years ago, when I first started this silliness, Rick saw me using a safety pin to poke holes in the cards. Granted, I didn't need very many cards back then, but still, this was the height of ridiculousness. He built me this little low-tech gizmo that works like a charm.

It is simply 2 pieces of plywood connected with a hinge. On the right, there are 2 small nails. I put a batch of cards upside down over the nails and close the little "book".

Why upside down? Because the nails make a bit of pokey-outie when they go through the paper and that looks terrible on the front of the cards.

Now they're ready for earrings!

A funny story:

I customize the back of the cards with either Sterling Silver, Gold Filled or Niobium. One time, I printed a small batch (3 sheets) of Gold Filled cards with a serious typo. I left out the "l" in Gold. Yes, there were some God Filled earrings out there. I have no idea how many people even noticed. I didn't until I used the last card.
Back to top Go down
https://hydracave.forumotion.com

Making Earring Cards
Page 1 of 1