Potpourri Americana
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Potpourri Americana

I don't have a printer, so I print what I want to print here.
A collection of my personal bookmarks

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Enchilada Sauce

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Astraea

Astraea

Number of posts : 2738
Favorite Quote : Beware the deadly donkey falling from the sky You may choose the way you live, my friend But not the way you die
Registration date : 2007-08-11

Enchilada Sauce Empty
PostSubject: Enchilada Sauce   Enchilada Sauce EmptyMon Apr 22, 2013 4:28 pm

http://www.cooking-mexican-recipes.com/enchilada-sauce-recipe.html

My little secret to a nice smooth sauce is to start out making a roux. This is where you cook flour in oil for just a minute or two before adding your other ingredients.

This roux will be your technique for thickening up your sauce and virtually eliminates any lumps.

Also I want to mention that if possible try to buy chile powder by Gebhardt. I've experimented with other brands and the results have not been as good. Of course if you can't find Gebhardt use what you have. It will still taste great.

Gebhardt is a favorite chile powder of mine.

Rockin Robin's Raving Enchilada Sauce
makes about 2 cups

Ingredients:

2 cups low sodium chicken broth
4 tsp. Gebhardt Chile Powder, or use 4Tbsp if you like it hot!
1 tsp. ground cumin
2 tsp. garlic powder
3/4 tsp. salt
1 pinch ground cinnamon (less than 1/16 tsp.)
a little less than 1/2 tsp. sugar
3 Tablespoons plus 1/4 tsp. white flour
3 Tablespoons vegetable oil

Directions:
First let's make a roux. In a 2 quart sauce pan add the oil over medium high heat. When the oil is hot, lower the heat to low and add the flour.

Mix with a wire whisk for about 1 to 2 minutes stirring constantly. You want to see a little bubble going on. Then add the chile powder and whisk in till fully mixed.

Slowly pour in the 2 cups chicken broth. Turn the heat up to medium again and stir till fully mixed.

Add the cumin, garlic powder, salt, cinnamon and sugar (the sugar is a little secret to eliminate any bitter taste from the chile powder) stirring after each addition. Bring to a boil as you continue to stir.

Once boiling, stir and cook for 3 to 5 minutes.

Turn off the heat, this enchilada sauce recipe is done.

You will notice that as this sauce sits it will form a "skin" on the surface. This is normal and in fact the longer the sauce sits the thicker this skin becomes. All you have to do is peel the skin off and throw it away.

As you can see, this enchilada sauce recipe is very quick to make.

So go on, make some cheese enchiladas tonight for dinner.You'll be glad you did!

Back to top Go down
https://hydracave.forumotion.com

Enchilada Sauce
Page 1 of 1